1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

question... ?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by rusty shackleford, Jan 23, 2012.

1. rusty shackleford

rusty shackleford New Member

have a pretty ugly algae bloom recently, question is would an overdose of flourish excel clear up the green water.

-- 48 gallon tank
    -- 2X54W t5
    -- dose flourish & excel as recommended
    -- 5 gallon water changes weekly
    -- non co2 (have a 12oz bottle but it runs out to fast, stopped using it):-"

also, would excel alone be enough with the lighting i have???

-- dont wanna have to buy a uv starilizer!!!

Thanks

2. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

hi rusty,

some more questions...
    for how long is your tank running?
    how many plants do you have in your tank? any fast growing plants? do you have tested the nitrate level?
    5 gallon waterchange weekly sounds for me not enough at a 48 gallon tank too. better go for weekly 25 - 50% wc.

cheers

3. rusty shackleford

tanks been running for just under a year, upgraded from a 29 gallon and used the same substrait and the water in the 48G so it didnt need to re-cycle (29G was running for a year and a half)

i have clumps of dwarf hair grass so i cant really say how many plants i have ....

dont have a test kit but iv never had this problem before so i really had no reason to need one.

also, only one fish in there ( 5"bala shark) deffinatly dont overfeed him.

and yeah i should do larger water changes, but like i said all was going well so i figured i wouldnt change anything.

-overdosed excel and put in new clearmax and zeo-carb in my 304 this morning , hope it helps-

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

is there direct sunlight fall on your tank? The best solution would be UV but since you don't like it, you can try 3 days black out follows by large water change.

How many hours a day did you turn ON your light?

5. rusty shackleford

i leave my lights on to long, 12 hours. but iv always left them on that long, why is it just becomming an issue now?

no sunlight at all (tanks in basement)

will an excel overdose kill suspended algae ?

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

excel probably won't have a significant effect on green algae. It tends to do well against BBA, staghorn, and other similar algaes.

Hairgrass only? do you inject CO2?

It could recently be becoming an issue because 1) it has recently been introduced to your tank 2)a recent spike in organics/ammonia has supplied it with food 3) your lights have been on too long and other unidentified conditions have allowed it to bloom.

UV is the best way to combat this type of thing when it occurs as Shadow mentioned. Black out next best...also as Shadow mentioned.

Lots of light with little plants and no CO2 is inviting algae. Few water changes builds organics. In a low tech tank with little light, no CO2 and lots of low light plants these organics get consumed by the plants and frequent water changes are not always necessary.

Here is a good algae guide: James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

7. rusty shackleford

great algae guide, yes only hair grass. did inject co2, made my own regulator for a 12oz paitball tank and it needs to be refilled after about a week and a half @ $6.00 to refill it so i stopped using it and just used excel (havent injected co2 for about 3 months)

i did just add a few snails about a week before the algae bloom, think that could have somthing to do with it?

-- also started a 3 day black out this morning--

8. ShadowMac

the snails would not have increased organics enough to contribute significantly. They actually tend to consume rotting vegetable matter and left over food.

I don't think excel dosing with that amount of light and HG is a good strategy. I just don't think it will work out well.

9. rusty shackleford

deffinatly think your right. it seems like a UV starilizer would be like a band-aid...

as for a co2 system, the whole thing seems a little over whelming.
    are most regulators compatable with all co2 cylinders?
    just worried im gonna get a regulator and find out its not what i need.
    can anyone help me out a little?

thanks

10. ShadowMac

there are a lot of regulator build threads to be found on the internet. I'm not sure if Canada has the same setup that we do in the States, but if they do most all regulators will fit any sized cylinder except paintball cylinders. If you do your research and ask questions you will get something that works well.

If you don't want to do CO2 you need to back off the lighting and choose plants that work well with low light and no CO2.