1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Question about planting DHG and Monte Carlo

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by mexicat, Jun 3, 2017.

1. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

Just got the plants for both of my scapes and have some questions about planting. Both plants are tissue culture plants.

I divided and planted the DHG, should I trim it to promote new growth? Is it separated enough?

Did I plant this monte carlo correctly?

20170603_174544.jpg

20170603_174559.jpg

20170603_174410.jpg

20170603_174428.jpg

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

mexicat

Using this as a guide it looks like you have planted it too sparsely meaning it will take a long time to grow as a full carpeted plant

Planting Your Dwarf Hair Grass

The particular approach you take when planting your dwarf hair grass is entirely up to you. However, there are some basic tips that will make the process less frustrating. Once you have decided on how you want your plants to lie, place individual sections of dwarf hair grass approximately one inch into your tank’s substrate or gravel system. Consider picking up a special pair of tweezers just for this task, as it will make insertion that much easier.

Dwarf Hair Grass is a good plant to create a carpet in your aquarium as previously mentioned in my carpet guide post and infographic. Carpet-type installations call for a one to two inch space between each plant. Arrange the “saplings” in a box pattern, with one plant at each of the four corners and one smack dab in the middle. This will make for a nice layer of coverage.

Like many other aquatic plants, dwarf hair grass deploys runners throughout the substrate (or gravel), which will accelerate both the growth and the spread of the plant. Choose a soil solution with small granule sizea soil solution with small granule size, as these will be easier for the dwarf hair grass to absorb.

Info
    http://www.theaquariumguide.com/articles/proper-way-to-grow-dwarf-hair-grass

Keith:cat::cat:

3. mexicat

I think I will separate them into smaller portions and try the box pattern. I have plants to sell too, so I might purchase some more

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

mexicat

I think that will be a wise choice to make. What distance apart will you be planting ?

I assume you are using the long planting tweezers?

5. mexicat

I might try to separate each clump that's planted into 2 clumps and see if I can get them within the 1-2 inch recommendation. Then I'll probably wait to see some growth before I purchase more if its not enough.

I have one more cup of monte carlo for the 5 gallon tank that I have to plant. So there wont be as many gaps.

I bought a cheap set with 2 tweezers and a pair of curved scissors. I used them a few times and they havent rusted.

I'll post full tank shots in my journals once I fix the planting in both tanks.

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

mexicat

Sounds like you have every thing under control. As long as you wash and dry the Scissors and tweezers after each use they should last you many years.

The planting plan you have should work our all OK, the closer together will give you a finished Aquascape quicker.

7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

That'll work(y)

8. keithgh

Mexicat

Did you have to buy any more plants or did you have sufficient to fill in all those gaps?

9. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

just wondering why not post a picture showing full tank. i am more interested with your DHG photo as it
    looks okey to me as if grass are growing in a beach ;)
    what kind of substrate you are using especially that white sand? do you use it as main substrate?

keithgh likes this.
  10. mexicat

11. mexicat

I didn't purchase any more to fill the gaps yet. I'll probably buy 2 more cups when I sell plants in 1-2 weeks

12. keithgh

mexicat

Thank you for your prompt reply keep us updated please.
    It might be a good idea to post an updated photo of your tank here as well.