1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Problems with green spot algae.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Skinskin72, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Skinskin72

Skinskin72 New Member

I'm new to the planted aquarium world. I have a 26 gallon bow front that is heavily planted, with 13 fish, swordtails, mollies, a few tetras, and two mystery snails. I have 96 watts, two 6000K, and two roseate T5 lamps. The roseate lamps run for twelve hours daily, and the 6000k's for ten. The aquarium has been up and running for three months now with good growth results. I was having a problem with stag algae, and green spot algae. I double dosed Flourish Excel for two weeks until all the stag algae was gone, but there was little damage done to the GSA. I discontinued the double dosing due to the effects on my cork screw vals. I scrub the glass clean, and do a 20% water change each week. I'm also starting to develope slightly hazey green water. Am I keeping the light on too long?

2. Moosman

Moosman New Member

With scrubbing alone your fight is lost vs. GSA. I found out that products similar to exel like easy carbo work vs several types of algae but they stop working when it comes to GSA. I cut the dosage of my iron fertilizer in half to prevent breakouts of this type of algae and its working for me. Lower the dosage of your ferts (not CO2) and watch closely over 2 weeks. Pictures are welcom.

kind regards
    Ben