1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Power sand function

Discussion in 'Substrate' started by Axelrodi202, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Axelrodi202

Axelrodi202 New Member

What is the intended function of Power Sand in use with Aquasoil? It seems like many exclude it and still get good results. However I remember reading somewhere that it is meant to extend the substrate life. Certainly in my 10 gallon tank, the power sand + AS combo still grows plants well after 3 years. The only issue is that the white power sand granules get uplifted during rescaping and are visible amongst the dark AS afterward, but I would work around this in my new tank by containing the power sand within a grating to keep it separated from the AS. Since the tank is very large (4' x 2') I am of course interested in maximizing substrate lifespan.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Axelrodi202

This information from George Farmer might help you

Keith:cat::cat:

Guide to Substrates by George Farmer

http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=guide-to-substrates

ADA Power Sand Special and other additives

[​IMG][​IMG]

This are designed to be uses as part of the ADA substrate system in conjunction with ADA Aqua Soil. Many users, including Takashi Amano and Jeff Senske, swear by it and claim superior results than by using Aqua Soil alone. It is made largely from a pumice material coated with peat and other materials that are very high in nutrients including nitrogen and phosphorous. Power Sand Special differs from regular Power Sand by already including some other ADA substrate additives – Tourmaline BC, Bacter 100 and Clear Super. These provide a combination of more nutrients, benefical bacteria and activated carbon. These can be purchased separately if using plain Power Sand but are not necessary if using Power Sand Special. The results cannot be denied if one looks at the many highly respected users of these products, but they do come at a premium. Penac P and Penac W work on the Plocher Energy System that is said to sustain the health of water, soil and living organisms resulting in a harmonious environment.

Sizes available – Power Sand Special (S – 2 litres, M – 6 litres, L – 18 litres)
    Cost – £55.99 for 6 litres
    For aquarium size – 180 litres
    Cost per litre of tank water – 31p (excluding ADA Aqua Soil)

Pros
    Proven performer by Takashi Amano and other pro-aquascapers
    High in nutrients
    Well packaged with good instructions

Cons
    Relatively expensive

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

That is a good run down of the multitudes of substrates available. I am a little disappointed he didn't talk about the science that makes a substrate good ie cation exchange capacity vs inert

Power sand will increase substrate life, however so will putting in some root tabs before setting down the substrate and replacing root tabs every so often. The Plocher energy system is a bunch of new age pseudoscientific hooey if you ask me. Apparently it is transferring encoded information into compounds using an energy beam. Careful not to step in all the bull****. Much like homeopathy for your aquarium. I have this bottle of water I could sell you which I put an energy beam through. It now can grow plants better than regular water...only $50 per liter. :D

If you rescape a lot, skip the powersand since it is hard to keep in the lower layers after moving plants. I've used it...I've not used it. I couldn't tell you the difference. My aquasoil is 3-4 years old and growing things fine because I dose the water column. Excess nutrients are absorbed by a substrate with good cation exchange capacity and can then be used by the plant roots. That is the beauty of aquasoil and other baked clay soils. They don't necessarily "run out" of many nutrients. Dosing the water column extends their life. Regularly putting in fert tabs does so as well.

Powersand is unnecessary. The plocher energy system is imaginary, you could also just meditate over your tank for similar effects as Penac P and Penac W. And you don't have to just take my word for it. Here is Tom Barr a long time ago beating up on the mysticism of it all: http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar...ion/7617-penac-w-and-penac-p-anything-special

4. Axelrodi202

Axelrodi202 New Member

Thanks for the links all. I have heard Power Sand includes additional nutrients but forget exactly which ones. I know AS has high CEC because of the clay content's negative charge, but wouldn't this only apply to mineral ions? Things like nitrate or phosphate are anions and presumably would not be absorbed by AS...

ShadowMac likes this.
  5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Correct, the nitrate is probably gone in a short period of time, the phosphate may last a little longer. But neither more than a few weeks to months.

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

I suppose you could consider it a plant booster starter

Keith :cat::cat:

ShadowMac likes this.