1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Possible mini paludarium type thing slash emersed grow tank...

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by aliclarke86, Feb 10, 2014.

1. aliclarke86

aliclarke86 Aspiring Aquascaper

OK so I have always always always wanted to run a paludarium but I just have never gotten around to it.. Well now may be my chance sort of..

I have a dennerle 20lt nano cube (its not a cube it bugs me that they all them that)

I have some wood and some soil.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I want water to the rear substrate level.

What I would like to do is crypts growing at the bottom, bucephalandra and perhaps some ferns and pelia/moss up the wood.

In my head it all works bar the filtration.... I just don't know how I can go about it... Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Ali ,Looks cool(y) Love the DW And the sloping of the substrate :) Think you will need the water somewhat higher than the substrate to fit in the filter pipes or your filter could run dry :( If the water level is a couple of inches above the substrate then you could have the out flow coming down and flowing over the DW at the back with the intake lower to the substrate??? :coffee:

aliclarke86 and keithgh like this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Ali

I like the DW it certainly is large and bulky yet very practical for what you intend to do.

I had a quick look last night and I thought the same as Roy make the return onto the DW just make sure it does not run directly onto the substrate as you could easily end up with slippage.

Keith:):)

aliclarke86 likes this.
  4. aliclarke86

Yeah OK I'm going yo think on this. Maybe need to do some drilling. There is a huge amount of wood under the soil there, I will be surprised if I get much movement :)

5. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

Ali
    how about some sort of staging /under gravel filtration - Just an idea?

[​IMG]

6. keithgh

Ian

I don't think any singular thing will stop the slippage with such a very steep slope.

Underground retaining walls will help but it will still slip between the walls.

But on the other hand you might be able to combine several methods.

7. janey

janey Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Ali, I am loving your layout! :love: Is it a dennerle tank? (Ooops, just noticed you said it is! Snap!!!:)) It's the same one I am currently working on for the shrimply paradise (I hope!:))
    It's a nice tank cos it is 'high' enough to allow for a paladarium type of feel.

I really like the way you have positioned the wood - it looks fab from every angle, very natural looking, but at the same time already like a beautiful sculpture. I like the solid feeling the wood gives - really eyecatching! Substrate & wood are a lovely colour mix too. (y)

Maybe the plant roots will buffer the slope and slippage will decrease? - but that may take a while. I am just guessing as I am a total beginner myself!:confused:

I LOVE IT SO FAR - looking forwards to seeing the plantings. The bones of it look so right to me, this is going to be a stunner - go Ali!:D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    Ian likes this.
  8. aliclarke86

Hi Janey, thanks very much for the enthusiasm, unfortunately I'm putting this one on hold/it may not happen. We are moving to a smaller house imminently and I fear I will not have room for 4 tanks... But we will see :-D

9. Ian

Ian Aspiring Aquascaper

Brilliant I spotted this and thought of this thread it's just So RIGHT! :)

[​IMG]

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  10. keithgh

[​IMG]

I deliberately over exposed that photo as the base looks totally different, it looks like its sitting on small glass legs but their could be glass under the tank as well.

Some one might know about the construction of this tank.

11. keithgh

Ian likes this.