1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Portinho da Arrábida - uma vista de Troia -22/9/11

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Supercoley1, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Sorry Juri I read it and then had to shoot off and forgot about it.

If you look at the shots from above take a look at the size of that left hand rock and then the size of the second upright rock.

[​IMG]

The left rock is huge. weighs probs 5 or closer to 10kg on it's own. Wouldn't like to have that standing up and if I did because it is 25cm x 25cm it would be like a tank divider almost reaching front to back and only 10cm below the water level. lol

I think once I get underway and have zero planting around the perimeter it will look better also once the fissidens has had a few months (or a year ;) ) to grow in a 'blend' will occur.

At the moment it looks like a non planted rock setup with rocks placed in a pretty position whereas my hope for the mosses is that they 'blend' the rocks to make it look more of a complete structure than a 'bundle of rocks'.

We'll see, Sometimes a vision is well thought out but hard to execute and sometimes a vision is badly thought out but works for some reason you can't explain :)

TBH I've had this setup together now for 5 days and I've never sat in front of a tank more than this :) I don't mean I am forcing myself to sit there. I am just drawn towards it and sit there for an hour or 2 at times just watching.

The fish may like the setup more. Not that they were inactive before and they were coloured well however now they are incredibly active and intensely coloured. The rasboras particularly have gone into mating mode to the point that alpha male is almost completely orange. Not just orange (fruit) colour, it's way past that approaching red.

The beta male more a traditional orange, the other 2 males are much plainer and the females a mid orange.

The other thing is now the water is gin clear the greens against the grey look incredible. The shimmer of the LEDs over the stones is a joy to watch.

In essence I should have done this sort of thing much sooner but I've seen far too many boring samey samey Iwagumis that it's never interested me before.

Fields of HC is all very good and pretty in it's own right (I suppose) but I find that boring. I like contrasts of shapes rather than a flat green area with a few rocks chucked into it :)

I guess a bit like a lawned area with a planted border is nice and also more practical for most but a properly landscaped garden is much more interesting.

OR an undulating lawn is more interesting than a perfectly flat lawn. Its easier to mow the grass on the flatter one though :)

Andy

Sponsored link:

2. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

I like the strength of the rocks, and it is good that this is not a boring iwagumi, but something that puts forward your vision.

Good tips on the LEDs I will check it out and see what can I come up with.

3. Supercoley1

The day arrives and I finally put this scape into reality. I washed the gravel and sand first because I don't want to have to clean the dust out of my filter.

[​IMG]

The bottom layer is 5mm of Leonardite and 10mm sphagnum moss peat. This is just in the corners. I don't want it under the foregound sand nor in the cavity between the central rocks as this is where the Corys tend to congregate,

I baked the old Tropica for 4 hours in the oven and then crumbled it up and layered that in the corners.

[​IMG]

At this point I put some cardboard dividers in to stop the foreground getting mixed with the rest of the substrate and in went the sand.

[​IMG]

followed by a nice slope of the gravel behind it.

[​IMG]

And then I took the dividers out:

[​IMG]

I first put the main rocks into the tank

[​IMG]

which then had Fissidens Fontanus and Needle Fern glued to them.

[​IMG]

Next step I added the perimeter smaller rocks and glued some Flame moss in areas to blend the space between adjoining rocks.

[​IMG]

Finally I added the smaller shards and started filling it up. I think it looks wicked.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I filled her up:
    [​IMG]

And this is how she looks (water level is low because fish are going back in so need the 10 litres for the bucket to float in :):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ignore the cabinet. The doors are off at the moment because I am painting it to match the new lounge decor. Therefore I will have to trim the doors once I've done the cabinet then it will be back to looking sweet :)

[​IMG]

Regards
    Andy

4. ghostsword

Looks really good!

I never got to use superglue, seems like a good idea. Won't the piece of moss on the glued side die out, or will just grow attached?

5. roach

roach New Member

What did you use for glue? Let us know how it works out.

Great picture progress, this is going to look amazing. I really like the sand, a very nice combo with the rocks.

6. Supercoley1

I normally use standar superglue with anubias and ferns but with the mosses and because I was doing it in tank with the hardscape in place I used the gel stuff because it doesn't run.

The moss will be fine. Tested the method out in Mountain savannah first :)

Andy

7. Supercoley1

Quick update. Pictures later.

I saw some Boraras Merah (Phoenix Rasbora) in the Aquarium, Lincoln the other day (LFS near me) and immediately decided I was going to get 20.

So I rehomed the Espei and Platinums to a TFF member on Sunday.

Today I got the Merah, and of course best laid plans and all that :) I bought 30. Just acclimitising them now.

On a sour note, one of my black corys is looking worse for wear. Was one with a deformed back and has been in decline for the past month or so. All the others are fine :(

I'll update with some pics later once they've settled in.

Andy

8. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

can't wait to see this with some growth on it and some algae on those rocks, this is going to be fantastic!

9. Supercoley1

you'll see some 'working' shots later.

By 'working' I mean that there are loads of plants in there attached to pebbles that aren't actually part of the scape but are making up the plantmass whilst it grows on.

Looks pretty full at the mo so you will get a 'picture' of what it would look like fully planted, although the desired outcome of this tank will pretty much be limited to the needles growing well with the fissidens and moss obviously being low.

You'll also see why I rescaped as in the 'full reworking' of the lounge. Even the wife mumbled a compliment of sorts. lol

One thing I should add and it can be taken as a plus or a minus depending which way you look at it.

The lack of 'spill' from the LEDs with the lenses on means that virtually no light is wasted. It is all going straight down. Thats the plus. The minus is that I put a frosted sheet on the back to get that 'glow' effect. With there being no mass 'spill' from the lights onto the back wall it doesn't work. lol. I will have to add some lighting behind to utilise it.

That was the plan anyway but not because of this. I will be adding an Infra Red Controllable RGB LED light strip (or maybe 2) behind so I can select whatever colours I want. I may fit one behind the cabinet pointing up and one onto the rear of the hood pointing down.

Andy

10. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

It is taking shape nicely.

11. Supercoley1

Some pictures:

The Boraras Merah being acclimitised:
    [​IMG]

Exploring the 'mountain tops'
    [​IMG]

A shot from the distance showing the 'temporary' plant mass
    [​IMG]

Loving fighting against the 2000lph waver 2000
    [​IMG]

The return journey over the 'mountain tops'
    [​IMG]

No idea why that chair is there. lol. This is my viewing station.
    [​IMG]

Andy

12. ghostsword

Thanks for the photos, the fish look so small on the tank. :)

And nice koralia look alike, I like that it doesn't have slats on the side. :)

13. Supercoley1

Yep. Best thing is it is more powerful than the Koralia 1 yet a lot smaller than the Koralia Nano :) Humms a bit though :) Not a lot but not silent.

Andy

14. Supercoley1

A busy day reaches it's end :)
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Andy

15. Supercoley1

A bit like Goldilocks 'Someone's been sitting in MY chair'

[​IMG]

Andy

16. Supercoley1

These photos are from 26th July when the tank was just over 2 weeks old. Was getting ready for the new baby birth so a bit late puttting them up :)

They are shots from between 10:30pm and 11pm in the photoperiod. I can tell that because the 'sunset' stagger has gotten to just the last series of lights. The moonlights are showing up on the left hand side.

There are a few pics of the corys here too. They love night time and are getting ready for overdrive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy

17. Supercoley1

The scape is now 5 weeks old and not a huge amount to report with regards to plant growth. Remember the Bolbitus you see all around the tank is just added plantmass and not actually part of the scape. They are removable quite easily as they are attached to pebbles. The same goes for the few small pieces of Needle fern on the left and right hand 'flat' rocks.

The flame moss is taking off really well but not spreading horizontally much as of yet. the Fissidens a similar result where they are looking very healthy now but very slowly spreading outwards.

The Boraras are now all Maculatus. No Merah left in there. There are 15 in all and that has been stable for the last 3 weeks. They are starting to school as a group too which is nice.

This Maculatus is very coloured up. The others not as much as this. I think this is alpha No1 :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy

18. Supercoley1

A few more pics of the Corys enjoying the last half an hour of light (tonight)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy

19. Cryptal912

Cryptal912 New Member

Your tank is really cool Guy !!!
    I love the first version too, was """simple""" but really nice !

Can you tell us about your lighting system ? :)
    I'm interested in knowing it

20. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Moderator Staff Member

Wow this is really a great setup. I love those rocks.