1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Portinho da Arrábida - uma vista de Troia -22/9/11

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Supercoley1, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Duc

Duc New Member

Zebra Rock is nice , but I think to have a strange and beautiful composition of these rocks is not easy .
    Duc.

Sponsored link:

2. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Great photos Andy.

Palmela is a great town, some night life, but very close to Arrabida, Setubal and Lisbon. A great midpoint between city life and rural life. :)

3. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I've played around with the hardscape a little here. What do you think? I think it looks much better like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards
    Andy

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Now I really like the rock with the fissure. It definitely works as a focal point. Nice work!

what about a small anubias species between the rocks? anubias nana petite?

5. kelot007

kelot007 New Member

so natural....nice :rock:

6. pupa

pupa New Member

aaargh.... beautiful stones

can u give me some :daydream:

7. Supercoley1

With hardscape arranged in several ways outside of the tank I decided to try my favourite in the tank. This tank has just had plants attached to rock in it for the last 3 months (mosses, ferns, anubias) while I got ready for the new scape.

They were pulled out, the hardscape added and then I put a few of them back in just to have some fern in there so ignore the brown stones. they will not be there in the final setup.

This is just a test/trial to see if I want to alter the hardscape in any way. The fish are still in there as are the shrimps.

I think it is pretty close to how I will set it up for real so in 2 weeks I will remove the rocks, put the tank back in the lounge and then start from scratch with new substrate and plants attached to the final hardscape.

You do however have to visualise how it may look in a year's time. A lot of the rock (not all) will have Fissidens Fontanus growing on it. The intersections and patches around the sides/front will have flame moss growing out of it and the Ferns will grow from behind.

I am tinkering with the idea of Bolbitus as I have a huge bush of it and not used it in a scape yet. I am pretty wary of using it though as it may ruin the subtlety of using just one large growing species. I may end up selling a load of Bolbitus as it is filling up a 23 litre tank at the moment. lol

Some pictures. This is the boldest hardscape I have ever done. It is incredibly powerful from any viewing angle, maybe it is a little overpowering but I like the way the tank frames the rock. I think it fits the space perfectly and because the hardscape is so visually powerful I will have to be careful with the planting so that I don't take away this effect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I meant to take these pictures last night when it was dark but I fell asleep. lol Looks incredible solely under the white LED light.

The LED luminaire is 80cm above the tank. This is because the cables are cut to suit it's position in the lounge where it hangs from the underside of a shelf and not from the ceiling. Doesn't seem to matter though. Does a great job even at that height.

For the LED fan boys ;) The DIY luminaire (electrics) are still untouched 2 and a half years after they were built. It has had a fresh outer (box) though when I redesigned it, however no LEDs failed or replaced in 2 and a half years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Andy

8. ghostsword

Those are stunning LEDs, but why so high? Would there be enough light reaching the bottom?

9. Supercoley1

I will be taking some night time shots tonight. The pictures will answer if there is enough light reaching the bottom :)

This tank normally sits in my lounge in the space you see below. similar to yours Luis on the left of the chimney breast:
    [​IMG]

You can see the luminaire in that picture. the cables are cut to length so that I can put the luminaire anywhere from 6" away from the surface right up to the shelf it hangs from. Otherwise it would mean excess cable hanging loose which is not something I can put up with. lol. The luminiare is as high as it will go on the picture above. was just hanging out of the way while I worked.

Therefore where the tank is at the moment in the kitchen there is no shelf above and the luminaire is hung from the ceiling. It is as low as the cables will allow.

I've nearly finished my Lounge redesign so once I've painted and varnished the skirting boards the tank can go back in and let scaping commence :)

I am a member of LED'olics anonymous but they have so far been unable to suppress my addiction. lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AC

10. Supercoley1

Tonight I took some pictures after the sun had gone down just to show how powerful this LED setup is. Remember this is just 1.12WPG but is at present 80cm above the water surface.

Ignore the tree and moses on slate in there. I have just put some plants straight in from the scape before still attached to rocks.. that way I can easily remove them if necessary. Once I do the actual rescape the flame moss on the slates plus 2x more will be glued to the hardscape as will the Fissidens Fontanus which is currently in my 23ltr shrimp tank.

I've also taken some close ups just to show how beautiful this rock is. I particularly like the last one where the green Needle contrasts beautifully with the grey/white of the rocks. They also show the multilayering of these rocks with blue, plum and green slate veined with what looks like quartz.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think you can tell from the number of photos I am taking that I am enjoying this one. I am sitting down in front and just watching all the time.

Regards
    Andy

Regards
    Andy

11. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

Dear Andy,

Your hardscape is wonderful and inspiring! We have a type of rock that looks like that near where I live. It is green and white striped. It is called Niece (pronounced 'nice') rock; I think that it is a German or Dutch named rock. Your rock looks VERY similar to that type of rock and your planting is (of course) expertly done. It is talent like yours that keeps all of us going. I hope to see even more pics in the future of your marvolous work! Best Wishes---R

12. Supercoley1

Lol. I haven't planted it yet. that is just some bits and pieces that are already attached to rocks that I dropped in to add a bit of green before commencing the actual scape :)

Thanks for the compliements though

Andy

13. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

love the new look of your living room ;)

Scape is looking good too, but some rocks don´t sit right to me.

the supporting stone on the left the second main stone on the right, maybe it is possible to swap them, have you tried that?

14. ghostsword

It is indeed a lot of light.

I feel tempted to rig one led setup for me, how hard is to find parts for it?

Thanks,

15. Supercoley1

bought all the bits from ebay and then made a box to put it in. They are all from a seller called LEDworld2007 or something like that. The drivers however were from a model train source on ebay called teapot something. lol It was 2 and a half years ago.

I would guess that when it is within 6" like a T5HO would be it is equalling circa 4WPG on the WPG scale where a T5HO would be half that (W for W)

In other words 4 x PAR of T12 where T5HO would be circa 2 x PAR of T12.

Pretty scary. lol

Andy

16. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

nice tank. i am not an expert but the biggest stone without lines, i guess, seem out of place. what other plants you have in mind with your scape?
    good luck.

17. Supercoley1

Indeed it does look a little out of place at the moment. The only plants on the list are Needle Fern, Fissidens Fontanus and Flame Moss.

The Fissidens will cover a lot of the rock (eventually) so it should 'blend' the out of place rock in with the others.

Andy

18. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

fissidens fontanus is a great moss.
    are you still considering to retain the twig on the left side of your tank.

19. Supercoley1

Nope was never considering it. The tank has got loads of plants in at the moment just to add some plantmass before I empty it and start rescaping for real.

Andy

20. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Andy, have you missed that?