1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Pls. help ID my Green Shrimp

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by vandominic, Nov 16, 2011.

1. vandominic

vandominic New Member

Ozamiz City, Misamis Occidental, Philippines
    Guys, caught this shrimp this afternoon in a creek. But this is the only one that's like this of the many shrimps in that creek. What could this be? Is this a different kind of shrimp or is its green color just due to what looks like a wound on its side?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tenshu

tenshu New Member

Don't know this shrimp, it's beautiful !
    You should take care when you get wild animal, they could carry parasits or make the other tank inhabitant sick.

3. Raven

Raven New Member

I am not sure about the species either.
    But it is wounded and maybe infected. The "milky" hue of the inside is also an alarming sign for bacterial infection. The healthy shrimp should look transparent in the non colored parts.
    If I am right, then you are in the risk of getting your shrimp colony infected.
    A safe practice is to quarantine and maybe treat new shrimps (especially wild caught) before adding them in a shrimp tank.

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

You can try post the picture at ShrimpNow !!! - Shrimpnow forum, there are plenty of shrimps expert there. They should be able to identify it better

5. vandominic

vandominic New Member

Hi guys! I've been very busy these past days and was not able to open the net. Sorry for this late update. Thanks for your comments and helpful suggestions. I do also think this shrimp is just sick as I could not see other shrimps in that creek that has this coloration. There are other shrimps that look like this shrimp anatomically but this one is longer than the other glass shrimps that I find in that spot. This green shrimp is still green and still very actively eating and moving around the tank after more than a week now.

6. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

maybe rare mutation ;) that would be great

7. vandominic

vandominic New Member

Will update soon whether it dies or infects other shrimps or changes into something else. :)