1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

please help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by valentip90, Feb 21, 2010.

1. valentip90

valentip90 New Member

i don't think this is algae but nobody responded in the general discussion so maybe somebody here can help.

can anybody tell me what this is/ why i have it/ how i can get rid of it? my tank is about 2 1/2 weeks old. i had been doing regular water changes and adding nitrifying bacteria as a stretched out the water changes. the tank has some mosses (flame and another), bacopa and baby tears. this began shortly after introducing bacopa and baby tears. lighting has been about 6-8 hours a day. since contracting this i have dramatically reduced the lighting time. help please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cedar&Canvas

Cedar&Canvas New Member

Call Ghost Busters? Sorry couldn't resist. I had something like this when i first started with plants years ago. Never really figured it out, however, i thought it had something to do with low light and using collected hardscaping materials that had not been sanitized properly. If you provide more details concerning the water parameters and watts per gallon i'm sure somebody here can help you out.

3. valentip90

valentip90 New Member

my material have all been purchased from a aqua forest in sf, i have nothing collected in my tank. again i have been running about 6-8 hours of lighting a day. anyway, how did you end up getting rid of it?

4. FitJab

FitJab New Member

How bout your CO2 injection? DIY mixed or pressurised tank?

5. pminister

pminister New Member

First off what would help immensley is the type of setup you have right now?

-How big is the tank?
    -Amount of lighting?
    -Are you dosing anything as fertilizers?
    -Any C02 injection of any type?
    -Did you just cycle this tank etc.............?

-Also what are you water parameters?

6. Hymn Of The Big Wheel

Hymn Of The Big Wheel New Member

My tanks tend to look like that sometimes when I've filled it with ice cold water. But I don't know if that's a connection.

7. valentip90

valentip90 New Member

it's a cube about 4 - 4.5 gallons. i am using chlorinated tap water when changing the water, and as i was stretching the water changes out i had began to add nitrifying bacteria. other than amazonia soil i am using no fertilizers because i am now changing the water frequently again to try and remove this stuff. water is said to be softer here in san francisco. the lighting sources is a 13w archaea lamp that has been runnining anywhere from 6-8 hours. hope that helps. thanks.

8. Carolina

Carolina New Member

I think dosing with KNO3 would help. It helped me to get the ecosystem balanced in my tank. You buy 1lb from aquarium fertilizers for $9 (shipping $6 included) or buy Stump remover by Spectricide from Lowe's. You have to dilute it. [FONT=URW Gothic L, sans-serif]1 Tbs of KNO3 to 1 C of water. [/FONT][FONT=URW Gothic L, sans-serif]Each ml of solution = 1.08 ppm of NO3 in 10 gallons of water. I would dose at least 2ml daily for a week. [/FONT] [FONT=URW Gothic L, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=URW Gothic L, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

9. valentip90

valentip90 New Member

the white stuff has settled and now attached itself in a more natural color to my plants...

10. Cedar&Canvas

Cedar&Canvas New Member

Unfortunately i resolved the issue by breaking everything down and starting over again with a new hardscape and substrate. I wasn't smart enough at the time to use or own a couple of tests kits. Go buy a master test kit and run them all. If i was to take a shot in the dark ( and this is a shot in the dark) I would go with high ammonia. Your tank isn't cycled yet, or wasn't properly cycled and the excess ammonia and Co2 created a great environemnt for an aquatic fungus. Like i said, get a test kit and run the water parameters. You also might want to test your tap water as well. If you find your tap water has a high level of ammonia, your going to need a high end water treatment the removes both chlorine and ammonia (i.e. Seachem prime).

11. valentip90

valentip90 New Member

it got clear for a day and then clouded back up. when i changed the water i added bacteria, should i not be doing this? please help.

12. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

What bacteria you are adding???? It's looking like fungus.

Try reducing Photoperiod to 1/3rd and go for regular large water change for next 2 weeks. To mature the tank quickly, use a mature filter.

13. valentip90

valentip90 New Member

i am using nitfriying bacteria that was recommended by the people at aqua forest. also it seems that when i change the water is when the whiteish stuff appears. it settles on the plants and in the moss after about a day, but reappears when i change the water.

14. Carolina

Carolina New Member

Co2 is increased when you change water thus possible and imbalance of Co2 and lights is the initial cause.