1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Plants for aquascape!

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by Culprit3, May 24, 2017.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Culprit

That is "Depends on" answer, which is the Style of Aquascape eg Dutch or Iwagumi they are totally different.

Its your tank you can do what ever you want and use it as a big learning curve.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

I don't like dutch, but I do like iwagumi, but this isn't an iwagumi. Its an island or mountain with a bit of iwagumi mixed in. As Zeus said, mixing carpet might look more natural... I think I may do a monte carlo carpet purely because I think it may look better. I think it would either have to be just dhg or monte carlo.

I want a heavily planted tank, but if I have to I can tear it out and carpet everything if I don't like how it looks. What do you think about the plant placement/plant species/ect? Should I try and mix them together? Like a little patch of dwarf sag in the hydrocotyle?

3. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

So many choices it can be hard to pick. As Keith says keep it simple and not to many plants tends to look better, but its your call. I would say pick your carpet start the DSM stage as your rocks will be in place with AS. Areas you definatly want other plants dont do carpet, areas your not sure about carpet. Then when carpet is growing well in DSM then decide on other plants. If it takes a while to decide your carpet will be very well established. Thats what I did, being a newbie (like me) there is so much to take in it can be hard to focus on what to plan/do next. The experianced scapers like keith and Tim do it without thinking as they have years of experiance of what works well for them.

Hydrocotyle tripartita Grows dead easy. I got some for mine then decided not to use it after reading that it can take over a bit, so son and daughter took most of it and I left a bit in a low light tank with no CO2 with gravel and just weekly fert. I planted it by putting a bit off small rock on it and its still growing doing fine. So very easy to add later IMO

kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  4. Culprit3

I think I want a monte carlo carpet.

I got bored of my aquascape. It doesn't look good anymore. So I buit this. I can always go back and build it again as I have tons of pics and measurements. But I figured if I didn't like how it looked anymore, and looked boring, then in a few months or a year I would be rescaping again.

P1040694.JPG P1040692.JPG P1040690.JPG P1040689.JPG

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  5. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

So thats final then:cautious: its not life and death :p looking forward to pics of DSM

6. Culprit3

LOL yeah probably. I'm still kind of wavering between monte carlo and dhg though... What do you think of the new scape?

7. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Think its time to see the rocks in the tank with the substrate you are using, I find the blue tape very distracting, its like a photo full of people and one is naked, hard to focus on anything else as the naked one keeps drawing your eye from everybody else. Think if you wish to practice more at least put a black bin liner on back and sides will make it easier for you too. Plus the rocks will look different again with the substrate of your choosing.

Other plus of DSM is you will get away with the AS at a higher angle, then the carpet can get rooted and hold it in place better for when you flood. No ferts or CO2 needed for DSM.

8. Culprit3

Do you think DHG or monte carlo would look better? I'm going ahead and ordering 9 liters of regular AS. I will reassemble the first aquascape in main tank when I get it, and see how it looks with the frosted background, AS, ect. Then if it still looks boring make a new one. I will then decide if I want monte carlo or dhg.

9. keithgh

Culprit

You must make a decision.

I agree with you 110% and the sooner the better.

Its your tank and that makes it your choice you will have to make a decision.

Culprit it looks like no matter what is done to make your Aquascape look very good with the materials you are using (this can take many hrs to do) you could pull it down again.
    Please start in your tank and do the best you can with your hard scape and your plants.

kabriolet and Zeus like this.
  10. Culprit3

I ordred the aquasoil. I will build the original scape we built in the tank, and do a DSM with dwarf hairgrass.

kabriolet and Zeus like this.
  11. keithgh

Culprit

To stop any confusion keep every thing in one topic please.

12. Culprit3

Alright. What do you think of the plants? Good or bad? Too much variety or too little and what about the placement?

Do you think Flame moss on any of the rocks would look good? Doing a DSM with moss would be perfect bc I can do the blend it up with yoghurt.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  13. keithgh

Culprit

Its your choice in your tank you do what you think looks best for you.