1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Plants for aquascape!

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by Culprit3, May 24, 2017.

1. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

Glosso is a carpet plant, if never trim, 3 inches. With very regular trimmings... Half inch to one inch.

Sponsored link:

2. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

Half inch sounds perfect. But do you think dhg, regularly trimmed, would go better with the wilder aspect of this tank?

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Culprit
    I will only repeat my previous post.
    99% who choose all sand usually pull it out as they realise its not the best choice.

I could become costly if you start loosing your plants, and sand gets into your filters Impeller.

Keith :cat::cat:

Zeus likes this.
  4. Culprit3

What if I got eco complete? It has a high CEC, I can get a 20 lb bag for only 20 bucks. I can still use root tabs, but it has lots of nutrients.

5. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Guide to Substrates by George Farmer

Would make life easier for yourself. Have a good read about first OFC -' fools rush in where angels fear to tread'

6. Culprit3

Definitely. That aquaclay ground interests me as well. Same shape as aquasoil, I'm not sure, however, about the nutrients, but if it has high CEC I could do a tank soak in ferts without plants or lights to fill it up.

So I've done some research on the eco complete and evidently its actually pretty good. Again, some say it has nutrients in it already and some don't, but all agree on high CEC. So I can do a tank soak in ferts to fill that up.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  7. keithgh

Culprit

Yes it is.

That sounds like Dr Google.

Keith:cat::cat:

8. Culprit3

Aha! I just found out they also have eco complete in fine grain... which would be perfect right? Are there any other high tech substrates?

Would eco complete be good for what I'm doing?

9. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

10. Culprit3

Ah. I wasn't planning on dosing EI. I was planning on PPS-PRO. Which is where you dose enough nutrients for the day only.

What about Activ-Flora or Grow Pro- planted aquarium substrate? Will eco complete work?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  11. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Dunno havent researched them :(

12. Culprit3

But you think if I'm not getting aquasoil then eco-complete is the way to go?

13. keithgh

Culprit

Going over this post which started as plants is now turned to "Substrates"

Later you asked for some thing "Cheaper"
    I also noticed that you are going "High Tech" and any High Tech user will tell you that is not cheap. You might choose to go DIY but unless you fully understand the DIY Co2 system and running it it's full of traps.

Its come to the point where you either start all over again except your hard scape in the Mock Tank or make a decision and a plan exactly what you are intending to do, then start researching on a full costing plus the running costs.

14. Culprit3

My DIY Co2 will be a paintball setup. I'm planning on buying a solenoid so it actually really wouldn't be diy. I really have everything planned out except for the substrate. I have ferts for dosing PPS-Pro, i have a pressurized Co2 setup, I have high light. The only thing I don't have, which I didn't think about, was substrate.

I am fine with spending 20 to 25 dollars on that, mabye even 30. But I don't want aquasoil because it dissolves into mud after a few years. Then I would have to tear up my whole substrate and replace it with 60 more dollars of aquasoil. Especially when I'm pretty sure Eco-Complete would work pretty well too. So its that, fluval stratum which is almost as expensive, grow-pro planted aquarium substrate , Flourite, or eco-complete

15. keithgh

Apparently they can turn to mud eventually, 3-5 years (unless it has been handled incorrectly). Some plant growers recommend to do a complete renovation of your tank this will depend on your substrate.

I only ever used natural 1-3 mm river gravel and never had any problems at all. It can also be bought in different colours from garden suppliers. I would buy a mix of colours and blend them together.

16. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Keith is right you really need to accept that a high-energy tank ain't cheap.

My advice would be to go the ADA Aqua soil route, the initial outlay may be expensive but it'll probably save you money and time in the long run. It's not the most popular choice by coincidence.

I'm sure you've done some research, but most of the questions you've asked are answered in my tutorial and the link I gave you to George Farmer's Guide to Substrates on UKAPS.

keithgh likes this.
  17. keithgh

18. Culprit3

I think I may just bite the bullet and go for aquasoil. Now, I think you guys do need to realize that with the light I have, its more a medium tech tank. High enough light it needs Co2, but not the high tech that plants grow a foot a week (exaggerating). If I ever decide to upgrade my light, I can just up the ferts, and start adding root tabs, and the aquasoil will stay.

19. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

It's better to start with a lower light intensity than light intensity that's too high...before you know it you will be farming algae.
    I'm not denying that light intensity is important, but you should ensure that your CO2 is dialled in correctly and your fertz regime is correct before you assume that lack of lighting is to blame for poor plant growth.

Zeus likes this.
  20. Culprit3

I know that, which is why I will be waiting to see how my plants grow before upgrading. I'm pretty sure it will be fine. I ordered a diffuser kit, and will be getting my pressurized setup next week. I will also be getting a GH KH test kit to make 4dkh and will be ordering a bubble counter and drop checker shortly. I will also order 1 9 liter bag of aquasoil, or will the 3 liter work?