1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Plants for aquascape!

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by Culprit3, May 24, 2017.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Tim for helping Culprit.

I do know of an Aquarium that does not like certain other forums mentioned at all, if they are mentioned it is removed very quickly.

Personally we all have to work together as we know some ASW members are on other Forums.

Keith:cat::cat:

kabriolet and Culprit3 like this.

Sponsored link:

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

I think that way too Keith...especially since ours is a niche hobby; we're all bound to cross paths more than a little:)

Culprit, to be specific I think Diana Walstad used Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix, if you can find it give it a go;)

kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  3. keithgh

4. Tim Harrison

5. keithgh

Culprit

All you have to do now is find your nearest store and go and get it.

6. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

Yes. So you think dirting it is a good idea? Will I be able to hold a slope well, and not have to worry about it falling?

Or do you think Flourite black sand would be better then dirt?

Would it help me to hold the slope if I got some mesh of some kind, and put it over the dirt? I'm pretty sure Tim talks about it in his dirty thread. Then I'm just using strips of plastic to hold the sand in place. I could put it down before I put in my smaller rocks so they hold it in place.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  7. Culprit3

8. Culprit3

9. Culprit3

I just got two bags of mgs nature's care organic potting mix

10. Tim Harrison

I think any one of the above are fine. The Miracle-Gro you bought is also fine but it has perlite in to control moisture. The perlite might float if the soil is disturbed.

11. Culprit3

Oh. Can I put It in a bucket of water, and take out anything that floats?

So, I've decided to put a hold on this for now until I get my pressurized Co2 in a few weeks. Also so I can get my plants I want. Then I can get all the co2 stuff I need, injector, bubble counter, and drop checker.

What should I do to prep the soil for the tank?

I have some drywall mesh, will that work to put over my dirt cap to help prevent anything coming through? I have a mesh bag, but I didn't get lava rock. Can I put medium sized gravel in the mesh bag instead for building?

What plants do you think?

12. keithgh

Culprit

Yes it would but it depends on the slope. What slope will it be?

Yes but why its in the mix for a reason.

The substrate has nothing to do with any hardware its for the plants. No reason for not getting it done.

You should not have to do any thing at all.

Yes gravel can be used but be careful, why not use a safe Aquarium gravel?

That is up to you do your research fist and post a list plus a sketch of where you would like to plant them.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  13. Culprit3

Do you think I should just do sand? I already have the ferts for PPS pro dosing, I have Co2, and I have root tabs. Then I can reuse the sand, or if I ever want to adjust my aqauscape I can do it without a problem. Then I don't have to worry about my slope collapsing and dirt spilling all over, or having an excess of nutrients.

I kind of feel like I just want to carpet, unless I can get a pretty slightly overgrown look. Just a warning, I'm a REALLY bad drawer... I honestly have no idea how to draw an heavliy planted tank. It looks really bad and you can't tell anything.

14. Culprit3

So heres what I can up with. I would like to work some flame moss in, that was expensive. I also have Rotala rotundifolia and water sprite. In fact, thinking on it, the sprite might work instead of the stargrass.

Plantsaquascape.jpg

15. keithgh

Culprit
    You can do what every you want to do, the big difference is you are being advised by members with a combined Aquarium and Aquascaping experience of well over 100 years.

16. Culprit3

So you think I should do the soil? Now that gives me a reason to wait until I get the plants right? Because if I soil it and don't plant it I will get tons of algea.

The reason I've steered away from aquasoil is A) its super expensive and B) evidently it disentigrates after a few years . I don't want to be replacing that expensive of a substrate every 3 years. Soil I guess would work, but it runs out as well right?

So heres what I've gathered

Sand: Pros: cheap, never runs out, easy to rescape. Cons: have to constantly dose and not mess up ferts, have to add root tabs, won't get as good growth as other things

Dirty: Pros: cheap, takes a while to run out, excellent plant growth, don't need to dose many ferts. Cons: Runs out after a few years, can't rescape, have to be very careful planting, nitrogen overload.

Aquasoil: Pros: excellent plant growth, don't need to dose many ferts, easy to rescape. Cons: Very expensive, runs out after a few years.

I really feel like I have two choices now: dirty and sand. The dirt will get really good plant growth, and won't need many ferts. However, I can't adjust it or anything. Once its done its done. If it wasn't for that and the fact of nitrogen overload I would probably do dirt.

But sand, I would have to dose ferts (which i'm already set up to do!) and use root tabs. However... I could rescape whenever I wanted. Would plants be OK with root tabs and ferts?

17. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

Seems like you are inclined to use sand. Go for it. It's a learning process. If after a few months, it's not working out, dump it and rescape with Aquasoil.

18. Culprit3

Thank you. I didn't see it from that perspective. Sand is super easy to pull out of a tank and replace. I will go ahead with sand!

That done with, what do you think of my rough sketch? I told you I was a bad drawer! Do you think the plants will drown out the rocks? If that's the case what carpet plant would you suggest?

19. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

Sketch looks good. I've never heard of carpet plants growing on sand, you should Google that. The easiest carpet plant in my experience is glossostigma. One of the common hairgrass varieties grew in my sanded cichlid tank, I think it was microsword, but that grows maybe too tall for your front, might be ok for midground.

20. Culprit3

How tall does glosso get? I was thinking mabye corkscrew val or jungle val. Both warm water. So right now I need stargrass, some more dwarf sag, vals, java fern and a carpet plant.