1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Planting on UGF

Discussion in 'Substrate' started by janey, Dec 1, 2014.

1. janey

janey Aspiring Aquascaper

I am going with UGF as part of my tanks filtration system.

However I want plants in the tanks. And lot's of them at that!:D

I have read conflicting experiences - some say the roots will clog the UGF, others report very few issues with plant roots. I am wondering if bigger tanks might mean less issues?

I'm going to risk it anyway:p but I was wondering if some plants are less 'rooty' than others?

Anyone know of some good plant choices for planting on UFG - bearing in mind my tanks are only 24L?

2. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm new at this but here goes. Planted some cryptocoryne lucens both parva and willisii from cultures. Had to move them because one was larger plant and was getting crowded. Roots were long enough to reach UGF but was able to remove it without a problem. Roots were about 4" long. A brown cryptocoryne had a much longer root about 12" and single root. It also came out easy without damage. Depending on plant some have tap root like Amazon swords might be harder. On the whole I've had no problem with them clogging up the filter. My plants were planted in gravel on top of UGF.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

janey

I ran a UGF with rooted plants mainly Crypts and when I pulled the tank down after several years later no sign of blockages, yes a few roots had gone through the plates but nothing to worry about.

Keith:cat::cat: