1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Planted Aquariums: A Beginner's Perspective

Discussion in 'AquaScaping World Magazine Discussions' started by John N., Oct 16, 2010.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Please discuss and comment on the Shawn McBride's A Beginner's Perspective artcle here.

[​IMG]

-John N.

EChord likes this.
  2. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

I think we all can relate to, and have great admiration for McBride's passion and dedication to Aquascaping, and learning the ins and outs of its . . . everything.

As things stand, it really takes a very special type of person to join the community and break into the world of aquascaping. While I would agree that the forums are a fantastic source of information (and the consistent forum-goers are definitely a beginner's best friend), there is still so, so SO much learning to do-- I am sure even many "experienced members" also have many pockets of missing knowledge (I know there's still a lot of "basics" I have yet to learn, or managed to get around . . .).

I really want to make it easier for beginners, but it's not so easy. :/

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the kind words, Steven.

In my experiences, one of the best ways to make it easier for beginners is to help beginners realize that it does take time and effort. Also, that one has to have realistic expectations. If we set our goals too high we will ultimately be disappointed and leave the hobby. Understanding this has helped me overcome my periods of frustration. The forums have also been extremely helpful, encouraging, and inspiring.

I've recently come across a frustrating moment in my fairly new high tech scape, poor growth and algae. A week ago I was extremely frustrated and losing my drive to work on it. But with help from others and some changes i'm seeing the algae die and growth improve. Being patient is difficult!

I agree that the learning process is never ending and the information available to a beginner can be overwhelming. I can look at the tank now that it is setup and see how I may have done things differently and am thinking of how I will apply it to my next scape. Looking ahead helps keep me driven. I have my eye on the practice tank and am beginning to think of what I want to do with that when i break it down.

4. BJRuttenberg

BJRuttenberg New Member

Shawn,

Fantastic article! I can honestly say from my own experience that one of the hardest parts of aquascaping is the beginner’s learning curve. It takes someone of a truly charitable nature to so humbly lay their faults and follies before the aquascaping community for the betterment of the beginner.

I wish somebody had taken the time to do this for me when I first started.

Can’t wait to see where the next few articles go!

Kudos,

BJ

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Thank you BJ. It has certainly been a process and continues to be one, but staying determined and knowing that it is a matter of time and effort which will one day bring me a great tank.

6. oscarjamayaa

oscarjamayaa New Member

Good info. for beginers. I also agree.. Reading it´s the most important tool for any beginer. And reading as much as possible from people with similar aquariums that the one you would like to have.

7. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

hi there . so much too see so much to learn AWS has it all love all the info and like minded people can not stop reading but have to sleep some time :sleep:cheers roy