1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Plant layout?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Carolina, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Carolina

Carolina New Member

I want to make a right angle layout in my 29 gallon tank, for the substrate goes up in an angle to the right. What would be a good placement for these Plants: Hornwort, Hygrophila sunset, Rotala Indica, Tonia, Carolina Fanwort 2 stems, Bacopa carolina, Cryptocoryne balancae 2, Hygrophila difformis 1 stem, Java fern v needle, Sagittaria subulata? I find it difficult for the plants, especially the Hornwort, spread out. Perhaps I should put most of the Hornwort in my breeding/quarantine tank. Lighting is 1-65 Watt compact tube 6700K /10000K daylight white bulb and 1-20 watt daylight bulb. Substrate is dirt with fluorite over it.

2. Robert Hudson

Robert Hudson ASW Sponsor

Hornwort is really meant to be only a floating plant. Its rootless, never grows roots, and can quickly take over a tank. If you want to create a triangular aquascape, put the stem plants in the middle down to the shortest point of the triangle because you can prune them to whatever height you want. Those plants that you can not prune and grow tall, you will have to place at the highest point of the triangle.
    In this example, Roy used stem plants except at the low point where he used Cryps and Anubias, moss, and the ground cover.

[​IMG]

here is the reverse angle

[​IMG]

3. Carolina

Carolina New Member

In Roy's picture is that Bacopa carolina on the right and then Anubias? On the left is that Rotala indica?

What is Ron's user name. How in the world did he get such luscious growth and how long did it take? I am thinking maybe I should just leave all but the hornwort alone until they get fuller.

Those plants that you can not prune and grow tall, you will have to place at the highest point of the triangle.

The only plant that fits this criteria are the 2 crypt balance. I can't envision the 2 crypts at the highest point, for they grow slower than the other plants.

This is what it looks like now: It looks a bit like a jungle, a mesh.
    [​IMG]

4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I think you have a good layout plan and a wide seleciton of plant selection that may or may not work together. If it were me I would get rid of the hornwort (it's mostly a floating plant anyways) and do the following.

Slope Substrate
    • Shape substrate so that it's deep on the right side, and gradually slopes down to the left and to the front of the tank.
    Background
    • Position Crytocoryne crispatula var. balansae in the top right corner.
    • Plant Rotala indica in the corner right on top of the mound and slightily in front of the C.balansae Go with about 12-15 stems in this corner and let them grow out.
    • Plant the Bacopa carolina on the left side of the R.indica. Again, 10-15 stems, and allow these to grow. Trim these shorter then the R.indica to get that diagnol effect.
    • Plant the Tonina to the left of the B.carolina
    Midground
    • Use cotton thread and tie the java fern plantlets that you have to a piece of driftwood oro rock. The rhizome (the flat horizontal part that the leaves pop out of) is not suppose to be planted directly into the substrate, as it will cause it to die and rot.
    • Put the java fern in the midground area, in front of your stems. Allow them to grow out. Be patient as they take can take a while to fully mature.
    Foreground
    • Plant the Dwarf sag along the foreground. Space them out. This will allow more even spreading of the plant and this will end up creating a lush foreground.
    • Clean the sand on the left side and have it open
    Just some ideas off the top of my head. You might want to take a look at this article, How to Trim Stem Plants: Getting a Bushy Effect.

-John N.

5. Carolina

Carolina New Member

John N
    That sounds like a good idea. What about the Hygo sunset. Besides the Hornwort it is has the fullest plant growth and has the biggest leaves.

The crypts though I feel need to be in the front or I won't see it.

6. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

You can keep the Crytocoryne crispatula var. balansae in the front, but it can grow extremely tall. I have it in my 29 gallon right now and it draps over the surface of the tank. That's why I like to place it in the corner.

The Hygrophila difformis is a little tough to place since it grows extremely quickly and is actually considered a weed. It's pretty though. Hmm, try placing it somwhere in the midground, keep it trimmed and see how well it looks paired together with the Java fern.

-John N.

7. Carolina

Carolina New Member

Hygro difformis is just 1 stem and only 3in. It is behind the Crypt balance on the left. I have trouble growing it my tank. I bought the Hygro difformis as 3 big long stems. I am wondering how the Hygro sunset will do in my tank. It is growing faster than the Hygro difformis. I read it too is a weed. It is getting near the top.

The java fern, on the left, are thin leaf variation. Due algae they are now half the size of the crypt in the front.