1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Piranha Tank - 18000L - Sea Life London Aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Showcase' started by ghostsword, Aug 29, 2013.

1. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

I visited the London Aquarium today, to drop 50kg of Dragon Stone and have a chat with the team.

The Piranha tank is almost 9 months old, and amazingly it is still holding. The choice of plants was really good, and it is a low tech (only CO2 and a few ferts).

The crypts are just amazing, I should have carpeted the lot with crypts, lesson for next large one.

The bolbitis are holding on, some new leaves, others wilted.. but holding on.

The real surprise are the anubias, they came back with a vengeance.. some flowering underwater.

The tank now has a large pleco (about 20cm long), and a shoal of ottos. The London Aquarium team will also add some ancistrus, maybe 10.

A resounding success, everybody loves the tank.. It was so cool to see some kids saying that it was spectacular.. Made my day. :)

I took videos and photos. Thankfully I took two cameras, as with one of them I filmed at 30p, and it is a bit jittery.. The other is normal camcorder, so will upload when I get home.

The 30p is uploading now to youtube, just so you see what is looks like.. forgive the jitters..

Right
    [​IMG]
    Piranha-Tank-Aug_018 by Luis Embalo, on Flickr

Left
    [​IMG]
    Piranha-Tank-Aug_008 by Luis Embalo, on Flickr

Front
    [​IMG]
    Piranha-Tank-Aug_005 by Luis Embalo, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Piranha-Tank-Aug_010 by Luis Embalo, on Flickr

Over 150cm tall Echinodorus.. and they broke the water line.. :)
    [​IMG]
    Piranha-Tank-Aug_013 by Luis Embalo, on Flickr

Over a meter tall Bolbitis..
    [​IMG]
    Piranha-Tank-Aug_009 by Luis Embalo, on Flickr

Yoda, stevo, Ed Villagracia and 3 others like this.
  2. ghostsword

3. nick.scott

nick.scott Aspiring Aquascaper

haha wow, I randomly stumbled upon your piranha tank on Youtube a few weeks ago. ASW has such a talented userbase.

I'd say the bolbitis is looking pretty good for one meter tall! I think once everything fills in more, the tank will look Amano-like. With piranhas haha!! They are looking very healthy and happy btw. The tank is... very natural and Amazonian. The only thing that bugs me is the semi-carpeted plant in the middle foreground. Are you going to try to expand that with the crypts or...? I think some large dark stones would look good there.

Anyways, I am starting an Aquarium Service Technician job next month, and would like to end up doing projects like yourself. Have a good day :)

ghostsword likes this.
  4. ghostsword

Thanks.. I am not sure that it will carpet must more.. As the tank has a 2 million litter filter, and shares it with the rest of the aquarium, it needs a dedicated filter, which they are building in a spare room, to be properly dosed with EI.

It is being pumped CO2, and using root tabs, so that has maintained it for 9 months, and allowed it to grow, but this is an humongous tank, so things just take that little bit slower.

It looks very natural, and the fish, and visitors are happy, which is what really matters. :)

Good luck on your new job, keep us updated and post some pictures of your aquariums, if you can.

5. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi ghostsword , Amazing:rolleyes: Looks so cool you must be a very proud of your work :cool:And to have worked with the people at London zoo. Now that's a dream mate :D

ghostsword likes this.
  6. ghostsword

Thanks.. I am very proud of the results.. This is at the Sea Life London Aquarium, by the London Eye.. :)

You are in London, go visit and have a chat with the staff about it, they may let you go to the back, where you see the echinodorus breaking the water surface.. :)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  7. greenfinger 2

Hi ghostsword ,Will have to get up there soon:D Have not been to center of London for a long time :whistle: Now i have a good reason to go. And will have a chat to the staff About it.Looking forward to a day out now mate ;)

8. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

hi Luis,.... i like the tank scape. being huge and with Piranha inside the tank,....how you manage to do the maintenance?:barefoot:

9. ghostsword

The London Aquarium staff snorkel in to do maintenance.. :)

10. greenfinger 2

Hi Well i hope they have been well fed before they go in ;) The piranha not the staff:LOL:

hiisoka and ghostsword like this.
  11. ghostsword

:) they got some sort of mail suit.. :)

The piranhas are actually afraid of them, and will avoid the people when they are in.. :)

12. greenfinger 2

I watched a program called river monsters Well it about fishing :D Piranhas just have bad press like sharks :( People believe what they see in films :eek: So sad

nick.scott likes this.
  13. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Great job. Looks like it was pulled straight from under a drive/lake. Keep it up :D

ghostsword likes this.
  14. ghostsword

Thanks..

Some of the plants are not local to where the piranhas are, but as this was never meant to be a biotope, artistic license was used.

Main goal was to show the public the best piranha tank we could, and to do that we had to get them as close to their natural habitat as possible.

Although we had to scape with what we had on the day, the rocks and wood pieces were seen the first time as they were put in the tank, the idea was always to get viewing points as close to the glass as possible.

Fish will surround the wood, and plants, and with some wood pieces close to the glass the visitors can sit down next to the tank and view the fish interaction and shoaling, including the piranhas shoaling.