1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Photography wins Aquascaping Competitions

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Aug 11, 2010.

1. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Not really. I only use 1 flash and additional 3ft t5, both for the background. Flash isn't cheap and 1 flash is not enough for 3ft tank. Maybe need at least 3 flashes to get even lighting, 2 for the tank and 1 for the background.

The draw back is you need at least ISO 800 :(

Sponsored link:

2. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

OK, thank you. So yes you used extra flash and light, but nothing over-the-top. I also used extra t5 light, no flash. My tank entry only had 7 watt LED on it, so using extra light was a must. I plan on buying some add'l equipment for future shoots.

3. Shadow

Honestly, I try to reduce the extra equipment needed for the shot. I find it to be troublesome to setup just for couple of shot.

4. Apache

Apache New Member

Jur4ik!

The eyes is more important than anything else! Also I rode this in few post and I am really schocked to imagine that some of us could think they are doing a sport!! :(

I don't know any sports than you can just lay on your sofa,:ehhh: watch hours your pictures, walk in the forest and count how many moss are on the trees and where they are, listening the sound of the water fall, smoking , drinking, listening musics, dreaming, playing and speaking with rocks, roots, plants....etc When you count all the possibilities you have in aquascaping you can compare this to a sport! And if you start speaking of photography possibilities with aquascaping, nothing had been done, only "national geographic" real classical style, let come some real artist photographers to aquascaping and you will see that you can only shot with a old compact camera and make really good shots, it's just a question of inspiration and time... It's an art, but it sound that only Takashi Amano, who tell this:

Amano:
    "Setting up a Nature Aquarium relies on a delicate balance of all factors. This I believe can also be said for any form of art. What is the most important thing to consider when painting a picture, the canvas, the brush, or the paint?"

5. Shadow

The artist imagination/skill/talent.

I can buy top of the range canvas, brush and paint but I don't know how to draw :))

6. Apache

Apache New Member

It's why you do aquascaping....this is another way to express your feeling and sensibility...so I think you choose the good thing to do...:-" as far as I know you are good with ...

What should be considered it's that it is Amano who bring, aquascaping , perhaps him who invent this , dutch style is flower art, nothing to do with hardscaping...So to my eyes the classical things are Amano tanks, doing the same is like learning the master, then up to you to be deliver from this history, young history, and push the limit... George Farmer Biotope, Filipe Oliviera bonzaï style, this guys are creating really new things...Also it sound that they really take care of the final photography, nor video of there tanks....

7. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

The point is - you can go into gallery to have a look at them and they all are stunning. And not only because of the paint, the gallery lightning, the expansive frame and the quality materials been used, they all together make it stunning.
    But what has happened, the artist has done his job. The guys from the gallery pushed the picture into the right light, pro photograph have done pictures and published them in quality photo books.

This is different in aquascaping. OR you simply have to rent a pro photograph to take the final picture. The whole thing, aquascaping, is all about aquarium photography. You want to share what you have and push the hobby.

Contests are like sports and even Fillipe Oliveira has his Discus tank, just because of the fish , giving them a beautiful home and not trimming it for any contest.

The bigger the tank, the more expansive the "aquascaping-sports" will get, it is free to everybody to set up small tanks. Cheap even in optiwhite quality and easy to light and photograph with a compact camera.

However, you all know those live contest, where you have to setup the whole tank within 2 days - are they better then those photo contests?

8. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Jur4ik- No- those live contests setup in two days look like crap.

The best contests are those where you wheel in the whole tank to be judged.

Photography is integral-presentation is everything. You may be a genius but if can't convey your ideas then you might as well be from another planet.

However it isn't a photography contest. As Robert said a PnS with some care and extra lights will do the job nicely.

9. Jurijs mit JS

I´m with you Stan,
    each time I see those tanks, quickly set up for a competition I feel sick, most of them look somehow artificial

10. StanChung

Yup- They look plug and play. :(
    Usually with just ferns and anubias.

It's just impossible to get a nice thicket of stem plants for plug and play tanks.

11. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I've always thought my tanks looked better in person than on a picture. I'm not a photographer and have put my money into aquascaping not photography. However I think with a little more effort one could set up better lighting, adjust settings on a standard digital camera and play around a little to find what works best for their equipment. Quality pictures are still possible.

Do people who submit photos to contests post process the photo? As in some sort of touching up prior to submitting.

It seems in competition the photograph does matter. A video contest would be interesting. Maybe ASW could hold an informal one, or start a thread comparing videos to a picture of the tank?

12. StanChung

No offense, but most people including me do think their tanks do look better in person!

If it becomes a video contest- again is it going to be the better 'videographer' winning again? :ehhh: [crazy looking icons-lol]

The limitation with a straight on only photograph is that it doesn't show the multiple angles of a very photogenic tank. I do think the AGA contest that encourages multiple angles including close ups do give a better 'feel' of the tank.

13. ShadowMac

No offense taken...i can only say "my tanks" because they are the only aquascape i have seen in person. I can only speak for myself and my own experience. Aquascaping is unheard of in this region of the US.

Multiple shots or various media may give judges a better idea of the tank being judged. It would probably make judging more complicated and less transparent. As with all things "judged" it isn't an exact science and competitors will always use things that can give them an edge....best equipment in this case

14. Apache

Apache New Member

Come on guys you are all right, aquascaping is not photography, but it seem that no one of you will keep a strong trace of his aquascape, when it turn into a new project.... When it changes....

No trace of such investment is a shame, really and the art come with the memory, nothing to do with your own vision of your own tank...but to share it and keep the best souvenir of this amazing and long and expensiv work realized to make a strong aquascape....

How much you spend for a tank? I personnaly think that even an expensive camera is cheaper than any ADA product....And also we don't speak of shooting with very large format camera like Amano...wich only professionnal photographers can use (technicly it is harder than any other thing in photography))....but just think that Amano was able to use it before any other things in the aquascaping revolution and movement he created and that most of us follow... He is before a photographer, with a lot of culture and he spent most of his time, like most landscape photographers, to observ the natural life and the real...not on internet...

JuriK, you always speak about Filipe Oliviera, but it sound that Filipe could not get the same visibility with bad pictures or bad video of his tanks..... and he use last canon camera for this...no other way...

15. Jurijs mit JS

That is right, no way to show your tanks without a minimum of equipment.
    However, I had the idea that it would improve the aquascaping hobby if people would share their photograph skills and help each other to push aquascaping forward. I´m sure everybody knows somebody living not far from him who could help taking a quality photo, we only need to ask and to act together.

16. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

We should however clear up that you are talking about 'nature aquarium' rather than all aquascaping.

Aquascaping as an artform was alive long before Amano arrived on the scene. Just not the nature style.

As for the photography question I have voiced concern over this before. However someone else is good enough to take quality pictures for me. I will have to enter a competition at some point to utilise the photos that my friend is generous enough to take for me :)

AC

17. ShadowMac

Jur4ik makes a good point...if ever i decide to enter a contest I'm sure i could find a friend with some photography skills. I can actually think of one right now.

Aquascaping was around, however, I had never heard of it. I think Amano's contribution was in pushing the photographic side. Honestly, without stumbling across the great photographs of aquascapes I may not have become involved in this hobby and would still be stuck with old tacky and uninteresting aquariums. Pictures have, without a doubt, spread the hobby.

18. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Although I agree, we can't discount the profund effect Amano has had on Aquascaping in many parts of the world. His photographic skills did make it possible to communicate the beauty of these setups through his Nature Aquarium World Books and he has clearly in my mind elevated the art form.

If you look at IAPLC and AGA the vast majority of prized works can be defined as a 'Nature Aquarium'.

19. Apache

Apache New Member

Photography have a very long history with landscape.

I am quiet sure that Amano had this photographer as master: Ansel Adams

Amano bring the photographer point, sure, but bring the relation with the real and the landscape. Dutch style seem closer from painting .

20. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh no doubt. I agree. Also at the same time as the internet expanded into affordable too. His influence is unquestionable. I was just making the point that people were aquascaping before. There is no doubt that it has become much more popular to the masses nowadays :)

I like ShadowMac's comments. I always thought of aquariums as dull, uninteresting 70s style things. An ugly piece of decor. That was until I saw some George Farmer (inspired by Amano) scapes and I saw the aquarium in a totally different way.

Therefore Amano (via George Farmer) brought me into this hobby :)

AC