1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Photography wins Aquascaping Competitions

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Aug 11, 2010.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I think we all know that good photos capturing depth, plant characteristics, and other details of an aquascape is essential to making your aquascape appear its best.

As I look at some of the IALPC 2010 results, it's clear to me some of these lower ranked aquascapes would easily climb the ladder if they had better photos.

I find it strange, and a shame, that some of these great aquascapes are rank lower than they deserve because of their lower quality photo. :rain:

Do you agree? Any examples?

What's the point of entering a visual competition like aquascaping with a lower quality photo?

-John N.

Sponsored link:

2. Enrico Serena

Enrico Serena New Member

What about this?

[​IMG]

318º Romel de la Cruz (México)

Great tank, but not so much the picture.
    Probably ranked higher with a better image?

BTW: Congratulations Romel!

Ciao

3. Arryl

Arryl New Member

Hello. I can what i see and what i think. Its a lot of work which deserve higher grade, much higher than. Just look on acuariorosa web site. You already can compare some works in first 200 and for example after 500 places (like this two Igor VARNIC: ??? ?????? ?? IAPLC 2010 ) - i sure that you see that places easily cay be opposite. This is really roulette -with main aim to get in first 127 works which graded by judges. Than if your work is good you have chances - if no - :-"
    Of course I agreed that quality of photo in this contest is extremely important but when number of works is so high - i think its time to change something in judging system.
    I sure in official catalogue we will see a lot of interesting and fine work in the middle of the book.

Regards
    Larry

4. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Hello John. Are you feeding me with thes subjects to get me going :lol: I remember when the euro competition was launched I questioned why there were 10 points awarded on the photography.

I totally agree with you on this. However I was given a warning about it on another forum just for asking the question.

See post No4:
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/for...international-aquascaping-contest-2009-a.html

Seems to me I foresaw the problem before many

AC

5. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

The Judging system of IAPLC is completely confusion. Don't want to mention anyone specific but surprised to see couple of entries with High rank. But agree that High quality photo is a plus point to get some more points. Cause photograph is the only thing we are submitting for judgement.

6. Xavier

Xavier ASW Sponsor

Kind of need good photography to enter your tank into a contest - like writing. If you wrote the most beautiful poem the world has ever seen, but no one can read your handwriting, then it won't matter.

7. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I guess good photo will give you better first impression mark

8. Apache

Apache New Member

To my eyes photography is what will stay from your tank, it's your tank, taken at one time, after one specific moment.

Photography is what lead Amano since he started, composition is what lead photography, so if people know how to make a good and personnal composition and also a good photography can be in the top 27 ADA.... It's up to me...Amano is first a photographer and photography, more with Aquascaping is a memory... It's the only trace that will stay from your tank....So to my eyes it's more than normal that photography have this importance...
    Everybody who make a strong aquascape, who invest time and money in it and who want to keep a trace of this need a good picture, and everybody can learn how to make it the best possible, it's less complicated than fertilzing and light system...just an effort to do to keep a better trace.

But what should be changed is to announce the 1800 aquascapers behind the 27.... It's sound like a marathon where all runners want his pictures... If Aquascaping is art and not sport, people will admit to never know if they are 29 or 1800.... It's should be the same..:plane:...just push the creativity again and again...

9. Arryl

Arryl New Member

Ok than can someone answer me - what the procedure of choosing first 127 work?.
    On the back of 2009 IAPLC works catalog is photo where Amano with pointer and look at all works already divided by sectors A,B,C.
    So did he choice 127 photos by himself? Or?
    And yes I agreed that first photo impression is very important but in this case why some (not really impressed) work get in 127 or first 200 but some impressive (even ant first glance) works get into low rank - my answer - Judging system. When it was 500 or 1000 work this system worked well but now...
    Yes from this point of view - its art+sport. (with more sport)

10. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Spot on, I agree with much you have said Apache. Good photography is necessary to enter the contest and finish respectable. Great, advanced photography is probably necessary to finish in the top 50 or so. I don't believe this is the fault of judging I simply think it's necessary to communicate a deeper feeling from a scape. Let's be honest, does this whole Nature Aquarium World movement happen without Amano's base in photography. Would his books of the same name sold even if the scapes were great? Of course not. I'm not picking on them, but if you look at CAU the depth, detail, effect would not be possible without an advanced, if not professional shoot. What I would find interesting is to see what most used in the top 50 to get their final shot. I'm sure the majority used extra lighting, screens, etc. Some probably employed the help of a professional photographer or they are as advanced in photography as they are in aquascaping. The two are intertwined for a virtual contest.

11. Shadow

not necessary although I do agree that photography will help until certain level. For example, 2009 rank 4 is taken using point and shot camera. 2008 grand champion photo can't be taken by proffesional as you can clearly see the reflection of the wall opposite.

12. Supercoley1

I think it was Tom Barr who said a few years ago that it would better as a 'video' based contest in that you could then truly see the 'flaws' and also interaction in the tank.

It is quite funny that you see a photo and it looks awesome etc but then you see the same tank in real life and it doesn't look too special at all. Of course it can work the other way too where the best photographer in the world is struggling to capture what the 'real life' viewer can see is spectacular and therefore the 'lesser scape but better' photo wins.

I suppose you guys are right in that photography is part of the contest but I think then it isn't just an aquascaping contest. It becomes a 2 part thing You have to be able to create the aquascape AND be able to capture the vision in still life too.

Of course there has to be some compromise after all the judges aren't going to give up a year to book apointments and fly all over the world to see the real thing. Unfeasible yes so I guess we have to live with the photo setup until video and broadband speeds reach a level where clarity is good enough to use for judging rather than as it is now where some areas have great streaming video capabilites in HD quality and others have the equivalent of a few frames per second.

Would be quite cool when this stage is reached :)

Another thing is that the picture hides the story sometimes. There are some pictures of scapes that are absolutely stunning yet you see the reality in that it took hours of cleaning to get it right because the scaper didn't have a handle on CO2 or ferts etc therefore suffering loads of GSA on rocks or GDA on glass etc. I have seen some shockers that still came high up once cleaned :)

AC

13. J House

Well nothing is black and white or obsolute. I used words like most, majority, some:

You are pulling out a tank here and a tank there, but for the most part those top tanks have very advanced shoots which help communicate, a feeling, depth, etc. They are far from point and shoot. Again I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this, I'm just trying to get to the facts.

Shadow could I ask what you used in your shot?

14. Arryl

Arryl New Member

Agreed it would be grate. To see the video of live tank. For example I always trying to made video diary of my tank.
    But once again you right its connected with some technical problems. Hight speed broadbands, quality cameras ets and once again - you need a skill to made good video. Here the same as with photo - no skill or bad equipment - bad shot or bad video.
    Here the link to one of my video (tank which take part in CIS county aqua contest). YouTube - Far and Close.

15. Shadow

I'm using Canon 400D

16. Supercoley1

Of course there is still good or bad equipment but with the video and internet etc it would allow an entry to be made and then the judges get your MSN/Yahoo address etc. and at any point can ask to see.

They get live shots. not a tidied up tank. They can see how it normally is and therefore make a better assumption on longevity and suitability etc.

On the flip side they can also see how much effort you would ned to put in to get it to photo competition standard.

This is so far away but there will come a time when even the poorer webcams have many more mb pixels than the good ones do at minute and they can basically look at the tank as if they were there. After all webcams are small, can be wireless and moved anywhere. Maybe they would even be able to 'remotely' pan around by that time.

AC

17. Apache

Apache New Member

when I was speaking of the importance of photography it was dedicated to the role it have to do with memory in general and not with the ranking of any contest.

:rock:

18. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

I´m saving money for a canon 500 or maybe 550D camera and a competition only optiwhite tank.

Pricey equipment is a great benefit and helps a lot. See the same in all sports

19. J House

Thank you, but are you using off-camera flash, extra light, light kits, etc.

20. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

We want all the secrets :%3 8)