1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

parasitic bug of some sort

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Natural designs, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Natural designs

Natural designs New Member

I recently bought a new tiger barb (Puntius tetrazona) to complete my school and it appears he was carrying a parasite that started attacking my alpha barb. they are little white specks all over his body... I'm 3 days into a maracide treatment, which is a pretty potent anti-parasitic. Usually the maracide takes out the bug within the first two treatments and the follow-up ones are to make sure they are eradicated completely... Anyway is there anyone who has seen this before or knows anything else I can do to rid these pests... They are attacking his fins and scales I will upload a pic although its not great quality you can see the dots on the eye and and on his lower fins and the huge patch of scales they have taken out already. Sorry for the quality of the shot the lighting is terrible as it was in a hurry, thanks in advance
    Picture 600.jpg

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

3. Natural designs

Natural designs New Member

Thank you that link is extremely helpful. This treatment im using kills protozoan diseases so I should be set

4. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

Definitely Ick, what I done when my rummy tetras had it was to turn up the temp to about 28c for one week and that got my fish fine again.

I chose not to use chemicals because a lot contain copper and I had shrimps and also its just not good imo.

Try the temperature change, it speeds up the parasites life cycle and they expire quicker.