1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

parambassis ranga eating neons?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by RaRdEvA, Jul 28, 2014.

1. RaRdEvA

RaRdEvA Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi. I adopted an indian glass fish (parambassis ranga) because it's owner dismantled his aquarium. I putted it in my tank.

Yesterday i bought 30 albonubes and putted them in second aquarium. Later i saw 1 of them was a danio zebra and not albonubes so i changed it to the tank where the indian glass fish is.

This morning i couldn't find the danio zebra. I had things to do so i didnt give much importance.

Later, at night, i turned off the tank lamps and i saw the indian glassfish chasing others. I counted my neons and there was 1 less. Then i remembered the danio zebra and i said my fishes!!!:eek:

I assume the glass fish ate neon and zebra. I cant put it anywhere else so it is in a net right now.

I searched a lot in google for information of a glass fish eating others and everything i found is that they are peacefull and get along very well with other fishes.

Has anyone else had issues like this with this fish? Both missing fishes were about 3/4 inch.

keithgh likes this.
  2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

RaRdEvA

By doing a quick research they appear to be peaceful fish that prefer to be kept in smaller groups.

The other fish could have died from different concerns and he cleaned them up for you.

Neons are not the hardiest of fish and some can die very quickly in a new tank.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. RaRdEvA

RaRdEvA Aspiring Aquascaper

Sorry, I disagree:

• 2 nights 2 fishes.
    • Both were the tiniest in the tank.
    • For me the indian fishes are relatively new and there is not enough studies about them. So aquarists over the years around the world just assumed they are pacific.
    • As basic rule we all know 99% of fishes are omnivorous even algae eaters eat tubifex. Big fish eats small fish.
    • It hasn't eaten in 2 days.
    • I assure you that this fish has nocturnal behavior and that they hunt for it. Behaves a lot like cyclids. Standing there, watching, hiding and them BAM! Fish gone :eek:.
    • I swear i saw it chasing like a Discus fish does, biting until prey is swallowed or hurted.
    I will be publishing a paper called: "Indian glass fish: the hidden killer". Lol :LOL:

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Ra,Great please post your paper:cool::) This is what's great about forums:love: New and exiting new info (y)

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

RaRdEvA

Great I would also like to read it as Roy stated "New information" is always welcome.

Keith:):)

6. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

indian glass fish being a native to my country have been kept once by me and many of my friend keep it with several fish species. Never have I myself nor my friends ever encountered such a behavior from this species. it must be an isolated incident IMO