1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Overdosing Excel

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Paulzant, May 16, 2011.

1. Paulzant

Paulzant New Member

I have some algea and on james planted tank page it says that overdosing flourish excel will help. but how much do I have to use to overdose. I have a nano cube 30 liter

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I recently did this and worked very well. I dosed double the initial dose for one week. Killed most BBA. Didn't do much to the clado, decreased the green hair algae. It did kill a guppy who happened to swim right under where I poured it. I've read the excel can fix certain protiens in cellular tissues and the active ingredient is used in research, by watching what happened with the guppy I believe its gills where damaged. There were no other problems with the dosing.

I have since resumed with normal daily dosing.

3. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Mac, you dose excel and use pressurized?

4. ShadowMac

I sure do. I dose excel as an algae management technique.

Seachem won't say excel is an algaecide, due to federal regulations regarding algaecides. But if you ask if particular algaes will grow with excel and they will say no.

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the algae. Using James' guide please tell us which it is you have and we can advise from there. Overdosing it must be stressed is both bad for plants and the animals in the tank!

6. ShadowMac

I did not intend it to be a permanent fix. Something had gone wrong and the BBA was out of control. I think it was partially due to summer arriving and a lot more sunlight entering the room for longer periods of time. The overdose was intended to remove the algae I couldn't manually and give me some time to fix the issue.

Indeed overdosing excel is stressful and should not be done often. Although, the active ingredient does not remain for more than 24 hours. That is why it sees ecological and industrial uses. The compound degrades into non toxic components.

Garuf is right, it is best to find the source of the algae problem and not rely solely on excel.

7. 4f1hmi

4f1hmi New Member

There are some plants susceptible to Excel.It will also harm shrimps like CRS. Most moss will be affected by it as well. If you have mini pelia, it will also kill it. Some fish and otocinclus species are also in danger of it. So be careful. Try using Algaefix by API. I find it better and it will take only one dose. To be safe, I would recommend to remove the affected plant or decor outside of the main tank by spraying or dipping it , then rinse well before putting it back. Don't use it on mini pelia though. But in the end, prevention is still better than cure. Frequent water changes is still the best way. Hope this helps.

8. Garuf

Algaefix might kill algae but it won't resolve the issue that caused it, it's much better to follow James guide, over on Ukaps it's been proved many times that algae "remedies" often damage plants just as much and put you entirely on a back foot when trying to recover health.

9. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos New Member

I use Excel to clean the intake and output tubes, as well as, the power heads and glass diffuser (using a small paint brush). Excel seems to be a good complementary tank water additive for the prevention/management of algae.

10. Garuf

... If you're going about things right you shouldn't really need to use it as a algaecide:nolook:

11. Paulzant

Paulzant New Member

I have some upcomming bba I think cant take picture of it because it's hard to see on picture. very tiny hairs on leafs and glass. I removed it manually from the glass.

I was just asking in advance because I want to be on time and know what to do when it explodes if it does.

I use Dennerle CO2 system Co2 now is around 40 mg/l, further specs:
    Up for 8 weeks
    2x 11watt nano light was on for 4h then 2h break and then 4h again now switch to straight 8h.
    Ada Brighty k , Ada Green Brighty step 1.1ml brighty k and 2ml step1 every day.
    Ada Substrate amazonia and power sand.

12. Garuf

Too much light insufficient co2. We know how to kill bba, using excel in a pipette or with a small brush brush the affected area with it and it'll die. You can get away with a single 11w light on your set up, and you don't need the gap, use one light for 6 hours and have the co2 coming on an hour before the lights.
    If its the nano dennerle system it might be worth considering changing to one of the ceramic misters and a diy or german regulator which will work out much cheaper long term and you'll have more co2/ control over what's going in.