1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Optimal light spectrum

Discussion in 'Lighting Requirements' started by Scapeofaqua, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Scapeofaqua

Scapeofaqua Aspiring Aquascaper

The light bulbs in my rio125 are around 1 year old. So i'm about to change them.
    I got them with 2 x 28W Juwel 'Day' bulbs at 9000K.

I've been reading into lighting and everywhere they tell me the Juwel 'Nature' bulbs of 4100K stimulate plant photosynthesis.

Would combining a 9000K and 4100K bulb get me better plantgrowth then 2 x 9000K ?

ps: got press. co2 and dosing EI

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

From what I've learned the color spectrum is not too important. It really is what is most visually appealing to you. The 4100k bulbs have a pinker hue and the 9000k a bluer hue.

I like to run a combination. Right now I have a 10000k bulb with a few 6500k bulbs because I think the daylight bulbs are too yellow. I know ADA bulbs and leds are around the 8000k mark, but I can't seem to find any for my T5. I'm thinking of adding a 4000k bulb to my mix for a little more color pop. If I do that I will be running 2 daylights at 6500k one pink at 4500k and one blue at 10000k. There are a bunch of other funny colored bulbs out there too. Purples and reds primarily. I've never tried them, but think they would start to look too artificial.

As far as the plants go, they don't care as long as you are within the photosynthetic range.

John N. likes this.
  3. Scapeofaqua

Scapeofaqua Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks for your reply Shadowmac :) I too find the yellowish colors less appealing. And if the color does not make that big of a difference on plant growth i'll stick with 9000K's, i like the pop they give to the tank when the room is completely dark.

Cheers

John N. likes this.
  4. tntclub

tntclub New Member

The Lights Spectrum is very important, it shows the Quality of the lights.

However, the Color Temperature(K) is meaning nothing,because you may have the same or similar spectrum on different color-temperature(K). Also, you could got the same color-temperature(K) but the color spectrum is totaly different. Do Not Trust the K-rating!! (ref. Color Temp. vs. Color Spectrum)

nick.scott likes this.
  5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I normally just chose color that make my plant look normal :p.