1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice
  1. katt.j

katt.j New Member

Hi,

I have been keeping fish in my 55 gal for about 5 years and keeping plants for around 7 months.

Here is a link to my Photo Album and the last picture was taken today.

It is a very low light tank with about 1.5 watts per gal. A 2L bottle diy co2. and i use root tabs to fertilize.

I wanted to know your opinions on how to make my aquarium with plants turn into an aqua scape.

Thanks in advance,

<3 Katt

2. mikeb210

mikeb210 New Member

First, Katt, you should decide what kind of scape you are wanting to do. Determine which plants, rocks and/or driftwood you are planning to use. Depending on whether you are willing to upgrade your lighting and dose ferts, your possibilities are pretty much endless. The only thing i really see as a problem to you is the fact that with discus, you probably keep the water a little warmer than most plants can tolerate. I am not certain, as I don't keep them, but I think I've heard that about discus. I know that many plants will melt in warmer (82*) water. That being said, a beautiful aquascape is still very possible. Search around long enough and you will see several aquascapers that do it successfully. It just limits plant choices a bit. Something that helps many people is to plan out your aquascape on paper. That gives you a blueprint to work from. Sorry for a long post, but I hope it helps. Best wishes to you and good luck!

-Mike

3. katt.j

katt.j New Member

No thank you,

I was hoping to see someone write something in detail. I'm most attracted to the island looking scapes. All the plants I have now have been doing great in 84-88 degree water. my rotala is my favorite plant. maybe i could look up scapes that has the rotala as the main plant.

Does anyone know of a source of low tech aquariums that i could look at as a foundation.

4. trenac

trenac New Member

There is quiet a few plants that will do well in higher temps. Freshwater Aquarium Plants has some package's available, as does Arizona Aquatic Gardens.

As far as suggestions for your tank I would say get yourself a lot more plants & add a hardscape such as wood, rocks or both.

The Krib has some info & pics of a low tech planted Discus tank. If you do a google search you will find plenty of pictures of low tech tanks.