1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

one black male molly per tank

Discussion in 'Fish' started by randy0319, Sep 6, 2011.

1. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

Just a quick question,

I have had a minor problem with BBA and a friend at the LFS said that black mollys eat BBA and other algae types. I bought one big black gorgious lyre tail for each tank. All the tanks with mollys are 20 gal and above. There is only one fish per tank with other species like tetras (30 gal), Rasporas (40 gal), and 20 or so male fancy tail guppys (29 gal), and three honey gouramis (20GAL). I know that black mollys can be territorial and dominating with their own kinds...( I stuck two males together and watched them 'size each other up' circling each other with raised fins and a "you wanna piece o' me?" attitude so I seperated them after twenty minutes)> Does anyone know if these fish will just be o.k. as a sinlge fish in among the other species? Will they do the BBA eating job? Was I a putz for trusting a LFS friend? How much rock salt should I add to a planted tank to keep these beautiful fish happy and healthy? Has anyone else made a stupid impulse buy at a LFS and worried afterward? Anyone got suggestions or ideas? Inquiring minds want to know...R :ehhh::ehhh::-s:-s

2. Topsy

Topsy New Member

In my experience having the 1 black molly will end up as a bully and really pester all the other fish you have. It really needs a couple of partners to keep it calm. Although unfortunately this will lead to lots of babies :-"

3. randy0319

well I guess I can either take the 'guys' back to the store or get used to babies. Thanks for the advice. So far they seem o.k. since there are some big SEA's in each tank along with a pair of pitbull plecos in each of them as well. There is one single male for each tank and so far everyone seems happy. None of them are in tanks under 20 gal even though I have those as well. But I will take your words under advisement. Thanks Topsy for your input.

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

you can always add fish that eat babies :)

Gobies like a knight goby or a few bumble bee gobies. Although the bumble bees aren't the best at catching small fry.

a betta will give it their best shot but may not get them all. hmm...what else, killiefish are good predators when it comes to small critters.

5. randy0319

sound like good advice. So far they (each single lyre tail male on its own in each big tank) seem to be adapting quite well with the other fish/ cherry shrimp. My plants and ground covers are heavlily stocked so lots of places to hide and chill out. No squabbles so far and they have been really doing a number on the BBA. They are very striking and beautiful fish. I'll keep all ya' all posted on their adventures.

6. Fizgig777

Fizgig777 New Member

You'd be better off with Rabbit Snails for that type of algae honestly. Their appetite for that type of algae is legendary. Combine them with Olive Nerite Snails and you'll be rid of ALL types of algae in no time. There are no fish that can control algae like the mentioned snails. The Olive Nerites will not breed at all in fresh water and the Rabbits are slow producers of live young (most of which don't get past the fish to live to adulthood) which are in great demand in the hobby, so you could raise them and sell them. Rabbits will not overrun a tank with their numbers either.

On the other hand you may also want to sort out your water conditions. That type of algae doesn't normally take root in a healthy tank.

By the way, Mollies will have at your cherry shrimp eventually. They are not good/safe tankmates for small shrimp. For the moment they may be distracted with by the abundant algae, but their attention will eventually be captured by the shrimp which they really have a taste for & prefer over algae. Bettas also LUV to eat shrimp. Your better bet is to switch to snails for algae control, IMO.

Just my 2ยข.

7. randy0319

I'll be sending them back. Where do I get rabbit snails? Water conditions...hmmm...I do 50% water changes on all of my tanks once a week and the smaller ones(5,10, 15 gal, get changes twice a week. It could be my lighting or ferts though. So far it is a managable pest. I am going to try a black out one tank at a time to see if that can help it. I've got some horned nerites and zebra ones but maybe I need more. They are kinda cute. Thanks for the advice.---R

8. randy0319

Rabbit snails can be purchased at Bob's aquatic plants . .com. I might be getting some.

9. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Don't add salt as it just stresses out the fish so they are tougher.:muscle:

10. randy0319

I bought three from a LFS of the rabbit snails. I shall see how they do.