1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Olympus is Calling - twin CO2 reactors fitted

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Zeus, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Kessils fitted to my hood

upload_2016-12-24_17-0-27.png

upload_2016-12-24_17-1-5.png
    upload_2016-12-24_17-1-35.png

Fitted two T5 tubes also two just on Glass ATM

Needs a few grommets plus the controller 3.5mm Aux cable is in series ATM but will be in parallel when finished, bit of cable tidying to do under Da Hood.

Maintenance will be a Pain OFC but Wife very happy with it.(y)

Lots of roots growing also, think the grass/swords are too but hard to tell, but none dieing so must be OK :D

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    keithgh, Shane P. and ShadowMac like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Zeus

It looks like a very professional job done not like many DIY.
    Another very good point something we all like to see healthy growth after planting.

Keith:cat::cat:

Zeus likes this.
  3. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Weekly update.

Swords/Grass growing nicely, root growth about 2cm plus deep on sides of tank in areas and lots of new shoots/runners popping up in AS. So lots going on under the AS
    upload_2016-12-31_15-57-8.png

Did have some mold spores growing around some grass/swords in the AS, so left tank lid open during day and at night for a few days, made easy by being at home, so able to keep a close eye on the AS NOT drying out. Mold gone around AS around plants, bit around DW and non planted areas, but not worried about that. Trying to get the Mold as clear as possible as away for a week on the 12 Jan so will have to leave it untouched for a week.

upload_2016-12-31_15-59-41.png

Lots of bits done plumbing heater setup Inline CO2 plumbing and spray bars done. Bench testing plumbing in garage for leaks
    upload_2016-12-31_15-43-14.png
    upload_2016-12-31_15-40-48.png

Fitting the T5 ballast was a pain as only 2m length on T5 cables and 1.5M tank plus had to allow for the lid opening all in a 60cm x 8cm window plus fitted the Kessil 160 transformers outside of cabinet, it was a little tight to say the least but more or less done

upload_2016-12-31_15-49-52.png

Flood date TBC in no rush as long as plants are growing, longer the better IMO

Plants for adding in phase two of DSM

Echinodorus tenellus

Hydrocotyle tripartita

Plants for flood stage

thinking

Vallisneria nana or
    Eleocharis sp.
    as I do like their thin leaves but not sure if they will grow long enough to sweep down tank, but could use one off them as a midground plant also

Rest yet TBC Crypts high on the list ATM

Tim Harrison and ShadowMac like this.
  4. keithgh

Zeus be careful "No rush" is a good policy when Aquascaping but on the other hand too long could cause concerns.

Plumbing looks like you must have had a few sleepless nights working all that out.

5. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Well no rush means about Feb for flood

Plan is get back off holiday see how its going! get plants for phase two of DSM maybe move some grass/swords dependant on where i decide to plant phase two plants, then few weeks to flood/planting wall end and wood, but leaving removable wood out until carpet coverage adequate, then attach plants to remaining wood

So no rush means - want to do it know, but holding off as much as I can.

What concerns o_O

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

Zeus the other major points in Aquascaping as Keep It Simple KIS and If it is not necessary leave it out.

7. treadstone144

treadstone144 New Member

[​IMG]

look I build the same plumbing for my FX6 ;)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Zeus likes this.
  8. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Very similar
    Shame there isn't an inline diffuser with a 25/32 pipe fitting would of made it much easier.
    JLB do do a 19/25 so there is hope that someone will do a bigger one which would save on the pipe work, especially in the tight space I'm having to fit it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. keithgh

treadstone

Looks like another plumbing DIY. Keep a good eye on those screw clamps unless high quality they can cause a few concerns as they age.

10. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

update

The plants terrestrial battle for dominance during the DSM continues .It’s been 5 weeks since it started. I’ve Been away for a week and was having some mould issues which was being controlled by airing tank. So left the tank lids slightly open set the house at 14 degrees and lock the door. Got back to slight mould lots of growth esp on the roots. Mould has all cleared within 12hrs but AS does have a slight white covering in areas and also slight algae in others not concerned about either at this stage. Not been using H2O2. The swords are winning the battle for foliage, with the grass having much deeper roots on the sides of the tank. In my excitement/rush to get it all planted I didn’t cut/brake the initial plants up enough to small enough samples, typical noobie mistake I guess as the tubs said six to nine should off done much more, however less trauma to the plants as well, all of them have taken, with only minor bits drying out. In the long run it will make no difference I think.

Initially
    upload_2017-1-20_17-36-24.png
    Today
    upload_2017-1-20_17-43-32.png

Roots Initially
    upload_2017-1-20_17-42-2.png
    today
    upload_2017-1-20_17-45-58.png

5 weeks on (today)

So very happy I didn't come home to the need to flood.

Plan to put DW back in this weekend and decide on where to add next plants for the next part of the DSM, being a newbie I feel this is by best option to see places where the extra plants will look must natural, then Take DW back out again

Plants thinking (but open to suggestions/advice)
    Echinodorus tenellus
    [​IMG]

Hydrocotyle tripartita
    [​IMG]

One tub of each should be plenty

Then flood in four to six weeks with more plants in high areas and some on non removable DW, plan to leave removable DW out till carpet better establish.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  11. keithgh

Zeus

You have shown posters of the excellent plant growth you have at the front of the tank.

Shane P. likes this.
  12. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

These two pics below show the root growth even better with them being only 21 days apart

upload_2017-1-21_11-16-48.png

21 days later

upload_2017-1-21_11-17-45.png

Think there is much more going on below the AS that above it, with some off the roots down to bottom of the substrate in places. Some of the isolated swords have runners going a long way from their origins. little grass stems popping up everywhere and the pics above show thats justs the tip of whats going on compared to below the surface of the substrate. Dont think substrate slippage is going to be issue long term :whistle:

Thought a DSM would be a great way to start even for a newbie like me from what I had read, the results are speaking for themselves, so easy too! weighing up all the options is paying off nicely - well ATM, still lots to read and learn for the next stages.

13. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Looking great...nice lighting and plumbing, and growth seems impressive too.
    Good luck with the transition when you get round to flooding it(y)

Zeus likes this.
  14. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks Tim

Think I'm going to need all the luck I can get . Wife keeps dropping hints to flood it along with my inner demons too. But think taking it slow is a easier path to something half way decent. Plus doing it as a room divider for first tank has made it harder for myself too. Think ShadowMac and Keith thought I was off my rocker. Think I've confirmed that and a bit more.

15. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

That's very difficult to scape well, and there is no hiding...but I think you've got it sorted. I'm a big fan of negative space.

ShadowMac and Zeus like this.
  16. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks again (y)

Couldn't off got this far if I hadn't posted stupid questions, plus a lot of good advise on here and UKAPS

Tim Harrison likes this.
  17. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I was just thinking that the addition of the tubes was a great idea. One thing the Kessils lack is some degree of power for higher light demanding plants and a broader color spectrum that brings out some colors. The tubes will help supplement that well.

Things are progressing really well. Great growth. Keep doing what you're doing!

Shane P. likes this.
  18. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

No brainier cost wise, six T5 24W unit was less than one kessil, The T5 lights has two on one socket and four on the other so with the PLC I have planed can vary the photo period even more, high intensity one end lower the other. then can play with the tubes too. was a pain to fit the T5 all the same.

ShadowMac likes this.
  19. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

Have you considered some medium sized crypts? Really like the tank so far!

The crypts are very easy to grow using dry start, I have been growing mine in soil for my 75 gallon scape (whenever I decide to set that up)

Zeus likes this.
  20. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Was planning some crypts but thought they wasn't suitable for DSM

Cheers will check them out later, offering plants tomorrow so just in time.

Been doing a few cuttings too off the swords and spreading a bit. Tank doesn't really need it but good practice and can see how the smallest ones take.

Shane P. likes this.