1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Olympus is Calling - twin CO2 reactors fitted

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Zeus, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Echinodorus tenellus

[​IMG]

Take thats the one you mean? would look good here and there between rocks, can add that after DSM or even later, but nice to have a plan.

LFS seems to be good for plants from 'Trophia' called in today, but plant ordering guy not in, calling on sunday to speak with with him. Next delivery due on thursday (y)

Think 30 tubs of the 1-2 should get the main carpet done for swords/grass reading between your lines ;)

ShadowMac likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Cant agree more, but having a rock to place them against will make it easier also when I remove the DW for cleaning and trimming plants then getting them back in same place. Plus what BigAl said makes sense too about where the wood would get stuck.

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Zeus

You have to make your tank very practical for your self to work on.

Keith:cat::cat:

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Yes that's the one! Until recently it was nearly impossible to find in the states. I've been using it for about 6 months in a few different ways and I really like it.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

5. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Lights aren't enough

Four kessil 160 tuna suns are creating to many shadows IMO well they are spotlights after all

So could get four more costly but doable, but makes sense to add the red back the kessils are missing.

So makes sense to get
    [​IMG]

iQuatics Aqualumi T5 Controller - 6 x 24w T5 £185

The 24W tubes would give me many lighting configurations as tank is 150cm x 60cm

Bulbs '6 x Tropical' all for less than the cost of one kessil

writing this has nearly talked me into it.

-------------------------------------------------

Plants ordered

30 tubs/cups 2.1 ratio sword to grass, just hope tropica has enough.

Did find some couple of small pieces of rock calling me to take them home too :LOL:

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

Zeus

Looks like you are going to be busy for awhile setting up the light and all those plants.

7. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

:eek: OFC

was planing on better coverage, less shadows, so going for red alone would be stupid, unless like you said run them alongside the kessils but then shadows. would be better of matching the kessil spectrun with say a Philips de Luxe Pro 965 rather than going for say Sylvania Grolux wouldnt blend unless running alongside the kessils

Good thread here on T5 tubes

Kessil 160 spectrum

upload_2016-12-13_18-37-46.png

Philips MASTER TL5 HO 90 De Luxe 24W 965 - 55cm -spectrum
    upload_2016-12-13_18-37-12.png

pretty close spectrum output wise IMO

8. keithgh

Zeus

It's not very hard to see the lighting differences in those tanks.

The problem with lighting the LFS in my area all carried the same brand and practically impossible to get other brands.

9. ShadowMac

Or you could scrap the whole thing and get some ADA solar RGBs :ROFLMAO:

I agree, if they are end to end as opposed to running alongside each other you will not get good blending. Do the Kessils have a temp. adjustment knob? I think some do. Then you could use a couple bulbs to get a good color blend and match the Kessils to that.

10. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

:censored::censored::censored: :LOL: a hanging canopy is out, best option on open tank IMO, But its the water loss that put me off an open tank every early, probably be kicking myself when doing the maintenance :whistle:

Not too worried about the blending in some ways as long as I get even plant growth for the whole carpet. the T5 unit I got can has six T5 fittings but two plugs one does four off the lights and the other does the other two. So should enable me to play around with the light timings on the PLC when I do it. Short term DSM wise will just have them on 12hrs a day alongside the kessils. Six long term may be too much :rolleyes:

The main viewing will look good with just the kessils as the shadows give more depth. Going to be a bitch to get it all fitted in the hood. Getting the T5's does enable me to get the kessils very close to the cover glass so should be able to fit them direct to the hood lid which the wife would like a lot as will hide everthing, will just need to make some small mounting brackets. Use to be a 'Fitter' in engineering so no big deal to sort that out, just time.

Was initially planning to have the hood open, just like War 'the plan doesn't last the first attack'

ShadowMac likes this.
  11. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Plants came daughter picked them up but they got the ratio wrong 20 grass to 10 swords :mad:

Got it all planted for where I am after the carpet

upload_2016-12-15_20-33-24.png
    upload_2016-12-15_20-34-22.png
    upload_2016-12-15_20-35-4.png

Planted it more dense at the bottom end as thats where I was planing to have the spray bar pointing down (right on last pic) plus ignored where the DW was taken out, as wont be going in till ready to flood. Used a sort of random plating option for what went where with a slight selective positioning of the swords in some places

Having never planet a tank with AS before I can only imagine what it must be like planting under water with AS, the DSM made it so easy, made a small divet in AS and dropped the plant in and gravity plus light misting few days and geotropism should take care off the rest.

Lights on CO2 on :D what BBS would you folk advise

keithgh likes this.
  12. keithgh

Zeus

Its looking very good now, what is the planned next step?

13. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Where to being - lights - hood - Plumbing - PLC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four 24w T5 Philips de Luxe Pro 965
    upload_2016-12-16_16-43-3.png

Four Kessil 160 tuna suns full power/spectrum
    upload_2016-12-16_16-44-8.png

Both

upload_2016-12-16_16-45-23.png

Could add another two 24w T5 tubes but minor mod maybe later maybe growlux in line with kessils

Got a 2 meter limit on cables so got that to work out with the ballast. But should be able to have the kessils in the hood, just off the cover glass so no need for hanger, they will be slightly sticking out and minor cables returning but neat to eye so BIG wife will be pleased when done. But will be a b$$$$h to do.

14. keithgh

Zeus

You have got this far don't start rocking the boat now.

Is the water cloudy or is it the lights causing that?

15. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Dry Start Method (DSM) just damp AS. The cloudy appearance is misting on the sides off the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. keithgh

Zeus

I thought that is what you had done plus it could help any member new to the Dry Start Method.

The more I look at your tank the more I see possibly because of the rock placement even if carefully positioned every thing looks so very natural.

Its certainly KIS at its best.

17. ShadowMac

No one should plant submerged. Fill after you get the plants in ;)

Looks good. Hopefully you'll be seeing some new growth soon.

I cannot recall the other plants you plan to put into the scape. Remind me:oops:

For DSM you can run the lights 10-12 hours a day. No need to run anything else.

Plant all your other plants just before flooding. Then, once you flood you will want to get the CO2 blasting for a bit. Error on the high end. Your bubble counter should be buzzing to the point it is just past possible to estimate an injection rate. Then proceed to estimate your CO2 build up and targets. Shooting for a flattened parabolic curve with the flat portion extending through the photo period between too little and too much. I like to use the pH/KH/CO2 chart for this. Multiple measurements throughout the day, prior to CO2 turning on, various points through the light cycle, then at the time it turns off. Your measurements will need to correlate with your observations. I like a drop checker as a quick visual reference. Two methods of estimating help ensure your measurements somewhat align with each other. Veteran's of CO2 don't really use these testing methods...I use a drop checker because I have them and like the quick check, but I don't monitor pH anymore. I can see something is wrong there before I will see it in the plants. But this is my method for more systematically dialing in CO2.

After things are all cycled and you have a decent carpet going it'd be time to add the clean up crew. A large school of ottos, a LOT of Amano shrimp, and maybe a bunch of nerite snails. Add them on a day you can observe for CO2 stress, preferably turn of the CO2 for the first day...then run it as normal the second and observe.

Zeus likes this.
  18. ShadowMac

Oh one other thing. You will hear some folks say....you cannot put too much CO2 in for the plants. This is true...however you can begin to damage the development of your biofilter if you get over zealous with the CO2 and your pH bottoms out. So I say get it right from the start.

Zeus likes this.
  19. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Got some micro roots growing can see them in a few areas where grass isn't in the AS. So should be better where they are in the AS
    You memory is spot on, final plants yet to be confirmed (y) got a few weeks to have a good look and check back with that 'Plant Guru' on the net :whistle:

12hours and CO2 is now OFF

Got Latest UP High Precision pH Controller

upload_2016-12-19_18-43-37.png

two inline atomizers
    upload_2016-12-19_18-45-46.png
    one for canister line and other for independent line
    plus two Cool Touch Solenoid Magnetic Valves

So still planning the CO2 booster idea, pH controler with aid of drop checker should make setting it up pretty easy esp when I get the Programmable Logic Controller (PLC). Long term the pH controllor will be taken off, just an aid to speed things up taking trial and error out off the equation

Will see what pH of tank is after flooding with controller (after calibrating it with buffer solutions) use the graphs estimate target pH then check with drop checker which should give me me 'Ideal' pH setting for CO2 levels then sort BBS level for each at atomiser. plan to have one at the input that will just keep the tank at the idea level. The other will be at a much higher rate to take it from morning level (with no CO2 on) to optimal level- Fast, dependant on level of CO2 bubbles in tank and any Respiratory acidosis which the livestock may show with the fast pH change. Think as long as the CO2 levels dont get critical, how fast it happens shouldn't matter too much IMO

Still got plumbing to sort out, did final order yesterday. Tried the custom spray bar for the independent line (no wall side) out in bath at weekend with the eheim compact3000+ and happy with output and adjustment possible on pump too, might need slightly bigger holes, but easy to adjust direction and change spray pattern as Bar very tight fit so no need to solvent weld short term so can remake and try a few designs over time.

Filter return can be spray bay (easy to change adjust remake bar) is planed wall side. Which can be change to duel pipe outlets both side very easy.

Lots off scope for adjustment over time and see what works

Ordered custom mounting parts for the kessil lights cost £24 to mount all four, should look very neat when done.

Have a good LFS and was thinging along those lines (y)

pH controller should help me at first, plus dont wont waste.

canister already working in garage with regular bio waste being added ;):whistle:(y)

ShadowMac likes this.
  20. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Dry Ferts was going to order Starter kit from Aquarium Plant Food UK. ( where advised from UKAPS) but was out of stock :mad: at the time,then next closed for Xmas. So flood date will be dependant on getting Ferts first plus away a week in Jan. In no rush unless DSM starts going bad. Avoiding misting ( except the very lighest misting on few of the highest plants. but tank hasnt got 100% seal with cling film ATM
    End of 12hr photo period (kessil on lowest for short period) clear on glass lid but misted on sides except very top
    upload_2016-12-19_20-19-59.png

Tank sides and lid fully misted in morning

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.