1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Olympus is Calling - twin CO2 reactors fitted

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Zeus, Sep 18, 2016.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Zeus

With that screen does it save its self or is up to date reading only.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

The screen is a what I use via web admin and a web page. The unit does have a screen but I dont use it, as I find using the PC/Laptop/Mobile easier. The data the screen shows is what I have configured the PLC to show via the software programing. A data log can be uploaded via ethernet or via a mem card, I use ethernet but not often as pretty bug free. Plus can access the program live via the software to check the readings. Pretty straight forward once you get use to the interface.

So yes its the up to date readings on the screen, with the pre CO2 time having been recorded for use on the next day the it updates again as it changes daily. For example this mornings pH is 7.58 atm so it will take a little longer but with the very high CO2 injection rate I have it wont be much longer. BBS measurement isnt possible its so high I adjust the working pressure of the CO2 to increase/decrease the injection rate. With out a pH controller such control would be very hazardous for the tanks inmates, the PLC enables the signal from the pH controller to make multiple events happen pumps go on off and timings recorded and used the next day adjusting the CO2 on time.

Also have it now so when lights off air stone comes on until the CO2 comes on which auto adjusts its off time dependant on how long it took to get to target pH, esp now I have managed to silence the air pump in the cabinet to get rid of the hum it made. Simple really to do as i just suspended it and silence except for the gentle 'hush' of the bubbles OFC
    upload_2017-9-3_11-52-17.png

3. keithgh

Zeus DIY King.

I can honestly say "Today I have learnt" that would be the first time I have seen a suspended noisy pump.

4. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Little Vid of my CO2 BPS

Had some pH controller issues at weekend, fish gasping :nailbiting: , thought a probe went down but after multiple calibration with Buffers probe still not right, put spare on and still no good so thought controler may be FCUKed. But buffer was old and had no spare buffer salts. So got a pH pen and buffer salts next day prime plus more buffer solution for later checking. Sorted it out when the buffer salts arrived had no distilled water but a good sample of RO water. Old probe calibrated good with repeated checks with buffers and all is good. Also managed to find the sweat spot of BPS where no extra CO2 boost needed throughout the photo period, Slow steady drop of 0.1 ph throughout the photoperiod yesterday, little drop at last hour OFC, so decreased the working CO2 PSI on regulator a touch.

Theodoxus Fluviatilis -Theos that I added are doing great, shells all intact and doubled in size easy

upload_2017-9-29_16-28-28.png

If you look close on them, you can see how the snails shell pattern has changed with more lager white spots/columns with the lower pH since being in tank, got some more that arrived yesterday so should have them in at weekend. Just poped 3 in to see how their shells go

HenrySheehan, keithgh and Culprit3 like this.
  5. keithgh

Zeus

I think you will find over the years you will always be adjusting ???? to improve your DIY set up.

6. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

The fight against the algae seemed to be failing esp on the high plants like the C Helferi. I checked the Ferts the other week and auto dosing volumes was correct but I didnt check the LCO2 volume Big mistake it was getting nothing as the pipe was squashed/nipped in the tight space at end of tank

upload_2017-10-3_13-0-55.png

pic is an old one but shows how tight I am for space, think its been getting no LCO2 for some time. Probably from when I took all the pipes off for cleaning:banghead: So Bad/Good news day. Plan to update the ferts/LCO2 piping for some more solid piping so it doesn't happen again

keithgh likes this.
  7. keithgh

Zeus

Your DIY brain must be in over drive. That is the problem with DIY when the inexperienced try it and make every mistake in the book and end up causing more problems trying to fix it.

At least you know what you are doing and can fix a concern very quickly.

8. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Just done a flow diagram for my filter reactor setup

upload_2017-12-16_17-50-27.png
    Get low flow in reactors but it keeps them quiet and no issues with getting or maintaining pH drop. Added a WC drain/fill point for ease of maintenance

keithgh, Culprit3 and Tim Harrison like this.
  9. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Crikey, that looks very impressive :)

10. keithgh

Zeus

You are certainly the King of the Aquarium DIY.

Thank you for posting an excellent presentation plan, its very easy to follow.

Culprit3 likes this.