1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Olympus is Calling - twin CO2 reactors fitted

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Zeus, Sep 18, 2016.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Tim

Now you know why I call Zeus the DIY King.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Haha...there's no doubting his knowledge of DIY when it comes to planted tank gadgets ;)

John Whatmough and keithgh like this.
  3. keithgh

Tim it often makes me wonder how did we grow and manage our tanks when I first started about 50 years ago.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  4. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

If I could swap the experience of Tim and Keith for my DIY 'bits and bats' I wouldn't hesitate a moment. After all gadgets dont make the scape or pick the right plants, they just make the control of the ecosystem easier IMO

5. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Had a little test to see if all the CO2 going though one atomiser and reactor would work so joined the solenoids outputs together with a 6mm quick fitting. reduced the flow though the bypass so more water going though the reactors too but still keeping them quiet
    upload_2017-8-22_18-4-1.png

so basically the needle valve on Very high BBS 'I' and other needle valve on high BBS 'FX'. Worked a treat

upload_2017-8-22_18-7-59.png

So got pH drop in 62 minutes and the pH controller had to boost the CO2 input twice. pH drop faster than yesterday also, put this down to the better flow through the reactors. But I have found since having the auto adjusting CO2 on time it does vary day to day as the pH changes with the rocks and AS and the intail pH of the day can vary quiet a bit after a WC compared to day before WC, I assume this will be the same in all tanks esp with dissolved gases, hardscape and AS

If it works well which it seems to be doing ATM I can use the second APS Filter Booster for a few Bags of Purigen and have crystal clear water all the time :D

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Tim Harrison, ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  6. keithgh

Zeus

Any up and coming DIY's should be following you and taking plenty of notes for future reference.

As you know I have a design background plus about 50 years practical experience. Where as you have the skills in technology. Keep them both going and learn as much as you can along the way.

7. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Too kind Kieth its just comman sense really, also helps not been scared of failing and do some reading, plan for failure and your ready for it if it happens. You can read about how to do nearly anything on the net just need to look hard enough and find a good reliable source . Deepish pockets help too OFC

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  8. Tim Harrison

That's true, but effective application is something else all together...you obviously have the knack :cool: and in my experience common sense ain't all that common ;)

ShadowMac likes this.
  9. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

So true about the common sense bit :whistle: As for effective application well I came to this hobby a complete noob at scaping and growing plants, I asked lots of questions got lots of answers, some I didn't agree with at the time and I'm not just except the rules kind of guy I need to now why the rule is used, like the x10 for flow for tank size to pump output. It wasn't till a google for diffusion rates for CO2 in water and air that it hit me 10,000 times slower in water it hit me OMG. I read Your great thread The Soil Substrate or Dirted Planted Tank - A How to Guide several times, T Barrs classic Puddle of MUD, AS and its High CEC properties then remineralising substrates for the tank and only then AS made sense as a great choice. The list gos on I had sleepless nights working out reasons for doing stuff esp in the early days.

I like the quote standing on the shoulders of giants which Isaac Newton used also when asked about his explanations for his breathtaking leaps in science. I owe my success to so many people directly and indirectly like ShadowMac , Keith, Shane, Tim Harrison, Ian M, ceg4048,
    George Farmer,T Barr, Dennis Chong the list is long and still growing. There are so many great folk in this hobby who are willing to helps others and thats where my success lies, the 'Knack' is working out who has the right information. So "God is in the details."

A science related degree with training in engineering combined with DIY, computer overclocking and PC game Modding etc helps too ;)

10. keithgh

Zeus

Your background certainly helps plus a deep pocket. Many start this hobby and very soon find out its not a cheap hobby. That is not saying it cannot be done but its certainly not going to be a High Tech tank.

11. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

Zeus,
    I'm surprised you haven't caught the saltwater bug yet! With your DIY skills and tech stuff you could make a stunning reef tank. I know I caught the sw bug a month ago and will be starting mine in a few months. As I'm on a budget I can't get the 300 and 400 dollar all in one reef tank, but it will still be a full blown mixed reef with high light and quality equipment. But you could get a amazing AIO and build a really nice sump with fully automated ATO and probably even automate water changes...

12. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Zero interest in the reef side of tanks, Bit like I'm very happy to fresh water fish but sea fishing doesn't really interest me at all.

keithgh likes this.
  13. Tim Harrison

I was heavily in to the reef side of the hobby once upon a time in a galaxy far far....
    Long storey short, I went diving on probably the best fringe reef in the world and chucked it all in.
    It didn't matter how good I was Mother Nature had me beat every time; nothing could compare.
    But with Planted tanks, it was different, somehow I could emulate nature better and it made more sense...
    The rest is history...planted is where it's at :D

John Whatmough and keithgh like this.
  14. keithgh

Culprit

FW is a breeze compared to a SW tank. I think you will discover its far more expensive to set up and run. SW does not come out of a tap more $$$.

I had a 5ft SW way back certainly nothing like they are today. SW LFS 150klm return drive. Even collecting own good SW another big drive.

I have dived and seen a lot of the Great Barrier Reef. Seeing every thing in their own environment is nothing like a tank.

15. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

Never had a SW tank but hats off to those shops that had them years ago successfully with the challenges they must have had,suppose every customer that had a SW tank through them on or two obviously failed through cost difficulty whatever etc. With a freshwater much easier to set up for a beginner.I was nearly tempted on a shop visit with my granddaughter though with a small clownfish set up on display,think Nemo film was out at time.

16. keithgh

John

I live only minutes drive away from the beach and about 30 min from an ocean beach when at low tide you could get enough stock to set up a SW tank within minutes. I think there are laws preventing this now but in those days setting up and maintaining a cold water marine tank was extremely easy and cheap.

One of the many rocky pool areas.

[​IMG]

Keith :cat::cat:

17. John Whatmough

Absolutely lovely place that Keith. Love those cold water SW set ups. At the Blue Planet ,Cheshire they have rock pool display were every so often it has the effect of tides and waves crashing in, funny thing they have seat at the opposite side and and you can hear the crashing wave sound when it arrives quite funny to see people's reaction to the noise

keithgh likes this.
  18. keithgh

John

At high tide on a windy day that area and many like it are very dangerous particular if you do not understand that area. Even on the calmest of days a massive swell can appear all of a sudden and be easily swept out to sea and never seen again.

19. John Whatmough

The old saying about respecting the natural world the seas in particular

keithgh likes this.
  20. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Just a little update on the Twin CO2 reactors, still working on the balance of flow and input CO2 rates. But aiming for a high CO2 input rate and good surface agitation as per Dennis Chongs Videos on CO2.

upload_2017-9-2_16-20-4.png

Nailed the High CO2 injection rate 35 Mins to get the pH drop and not a gasping fish in sight. Starting pH 7.29 (after WC) Target pH 6.66. I had read about letting the fish acclimitase to the changing [CO2] as it may shock the fish, but my understanding of physiological changes in the blood in humans with higher [CO2] and respiration rates if the [CO2] change took 2hrs or 20mins as long as the critical blood [CO2] isnt exceeded the time it takes is irrelevant as long as its in the similar order of magnitude. Fish are are ancestors so i assumed they will be using a similar if more basic control of respiration. So little leap of faith.

keithgh likes this.