1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Olympus is Calling - twin CO2 reactors fitted

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Zeus, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Thats what I started with. Used all the Horn Wood, have some rocks that didnt work well left over

Long way to drive to The Green Machine to get the same Horn Wood that I used in my tank

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Definitely BBA. It can show up on "old leaves" and the C. helferi would have old leaves up near the surface. Since you had staghorn, I'm still leaning at the CO2 target. The big problem with pH controllers is we are unable to quantify the "other acids" in the system...acids that could have a greater effect on the pH as time passes between water changes. Organic acids from things. The only way I can possibly think to see if it is an issue is a morning pH test each day throughout the time between water changes and see if there is a change over time in the starting pH. All other things being normal, that may represent any organic acids effecting the pH and to what degree between water changes. I've never done this and dropped the pH controller because of the problems estimating change over time to get a good CO2 level. Less of a problem in lower energy systems, but the more light added the more of a problem it can be.

You could also try adding the twinstar again...not an algae killer..but it gives the system an O2 bump which helps with organics. Up to you.

Overall the tank looks good and if you are getting some healthy growth, trimming and refreshing the old leaves would be an adequate approach; especially if this is the only place you are seeing it.

Do you have some video of the tank running?

With the plants you have, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the dosing. They won't chew through it like fast growing stems and EI was designed for a fast growing stem tank. Mg might be another issue as some have more or less in their starting tap so EI doesn't necessarily account for that difference.

I recently had a very talented scaper ask me about growing plants...and my thoughts were similar to a mentor of his...unfortunately to some extent it becomes something you get a feel for. Most often troubles come down to flow, CO2, and/or biofiltration efficiency or cleanliness. IME, dosing is far more flexible than folks make it out to be, particularly with a good substrate.

Zeus likes this.
  3. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Thanks for the confirmation (y), both me and son thought it was. Having a definitive diagnosis is always a great start.

Done not in ideal location, as in up flow but spreads round tank well, but due to wires etc its much neater and not too ugly in tank

So trim all affect leaves back to AS ? was thinking about doing that.

Edit got it working

Did you notice the Zeus figurine along with a Poseidon one too on top of tank, Daughter got them for fathers day :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    keithgh, HenrySheehan and ShadowMac like this.
  4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Flow is great. No dead spots. Good spot for the twinstar. Its really about the O2 boost, this is what they should be doing to market it. I'm skeptical about the algae killing properties. Reactive oxygen species wouldn't last very long and I think it would be rare for them to react with an algae spore. The O2 boost should help the whole system. Tom Barr measured and they gave about the same level of bump a sump would +2 ppm O2 give or take. An article in the Aquatic Gardener on it from him.

Modestly stocked (nice selection), once you get the big school of tetras in there is will be quite stunning. Green tetras (look just like neons) P. simulans school very nicely. I put them in my IAPLC scape.

Love how the C. helferi flows in the water. If the tips of those leaves are the only places you are getting the BBA, it might just be like you said...the kessils spot lighting it. Given the great flow, I'd think you could get rid of it. In time when the ferns fill and you get a much higher plant density it may also go away.

I see BBA in my own tanks for several reasons: 1) spike in organics; dirty filter, added a bunch of fish, overdue maintenance 2) CO2 issues; dirty diffuser, insufficient supply 3) loss of plant mass; big trimming which might lead to #1 actually.

I'd trim back the affected leaves and see how things progress. Tank looks really well and with this setup you shouldn't have the usual beginner issues. Again, I applaud what you've done here.

Zeus likes this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Zeus

You certainly have plenty of flow for all your plants my only concern is could it be too strong for all those small fish?

Keith:cat::cat:

6. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Cheers (y)

turned the kessil down to 50% and less hours too as still had an Anubis pearling 15cm under the water yesterday, which is also directly under kessil, Plus Trident showing a little algae too - again under the kessils.

Well that flow isnt on Full time and the return from the independent line recently had new outlet holes done smaller to increase tank flow as the return has been at the top of tank for a short while. Plus three pieces of DW are out ATM which again reduces the flow.

Know I have worked out how easy it is to do a video and link it, will do another video when DW back is back in the tank with the independent line on and off, will also put the Twinstar in different locations as the twinstars mico bubbles demonstrate current/flow quite well.

The small fish do seem to like the highest flow areas too, hanging out in them at times.

keithgh and HenrySheehan like this.
  7. keithgh

Zeus

Many fish do like swimming in a current one reason it brings them food.

8. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Little Videos to try and show the flow in Tank with aid of Twinstar.

First video is with the Fluval FX6 only on.

Part two is with the Fluval FX6 and Eheim 3000+ on

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    ShadowMac and HenrySheehan like this.
  9. keithgh

Zeus

All I can say that is a lot of water movement possibly more suited to a marine live coral tank.

10. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Yes a lot of water movement. The fish hang out in the currents at times, Just like in a river there are areas fish stay away from at times due to current. I've followd the x10 rule for a High tech tank, allowing for numerous fittings and lengths of pipes. The plants are growing. After all T.Barr. did have a x14 flow in one of his tanks. It looks better than it is too due to the C.Helferi waving in the current, but at the wall end where the crypts are just coming back flow is much less. I did have a concern about the current picking up the AS at the bottom end, thats not been an issue with the carpet.

ShadowMac likes this.
  11. keithgh

Zeus

In the wild some plants survive better in the faster moving waters.

12. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

The tank looks as stunning as I expected it would turn out... why did you cover two sides that were originally open?

Zeus likes this.
  13. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

cover the sides for pics

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

Shane P. likes this.
  14. keithgh

Zeus

That is a good enough reason. Its not uncommon to a very good aquascape photo spoilt by reflections or a see through tank with all the distractions in the photo.

Shane P. likes this.
  15. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Also covering the side that gets the light from window too whilst at work and non photoperiod, Algae will use what they can so give them nothing .

16. keithgh

Zeus

A friend asked me many years ago to have a look at his tank it was a mess easily fixed move it away from a window . A forum algae problem had me puzzled until I asked for a room photo, the tank was no where near a window but an over head Skylight beamed daylight directly onto the tank.

Keith :cat::cat:

17. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Update

Olympus in Bloom

upload_2017-8-5_14-8-19.png

or was until the SAE took a fancy to it, been pulling Needle leaf up and S repens too. There fast to catch too.

So made a trap

upload_2017-8-5_14-11-35.png

Algea pellet

upload_2017-8-5_14-12-16.png

20 mins later SAE relocated

Decide to fit some DIY reactors and testing them ATM

upload_2017-8-5_14-16-41.png

APS filter Booster and APS Bio Balls, needed two to manage with the flow rate of the ehiem 3000+
    Tank pretty bubble free ATM and CO2 is on. Did some Vids of reactor setup too will post when I get time and finalised the plumbing.

Also managed/came across
    Theodoxus Fluviatilis- Freashwater breeding nerile snail

upload_2017-8-5_14-23-1.png

One of the Guys at UKAPS had them and got some OFC, been busy removing assassins snails

There is a pH problem with the Theos needs >7pH But there is a work around
    Keeping Theodoxus Fluviatilis in soft water

Tim Harrison and keithgh like this.
  18. keithgh

Zeus

That first photo had me puzzled at first as it is so clear I thought it was an outdoors garden photo.
    Being a keen fisherman I always had a small plastic bait trap and that worked wonders even with difficult fish.
    Best of luck with your Nerite.

19. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Been playing around with Reactors ie APS filter boosters with Bio balls in aid to get tank bubble free. Was hoping to have them post FX6 filter and still have good flow.

upload_2017-8-20_16-3-43.png

Tested them on the independent line first, comparing the up Inline atomisers with the JBL inline ones.

Some vids of the method/testing I have done so far

Twin up atomisers with twin reactors fitted on eheim 3000+

Twin up atomisers with twin reactors fitted on eheim 3000+ results

Setup of further testing JBL and UP atomisers

Hard to see the fine bobbles of the up atomisers in the last Vid, the lager bubbles was because a WC had just been done

So change the outlet over from the Eheim3000+ to the Fluval FX6 and fitted a bypass so the reactors got less flow through them, or could adjust to flow to find the seat spot between Bubbles in tank and noise from reactors

JBL and UP Atomizers with reactors fitted Post Fluval FX6 with Bypass

So with reduced Flow a clear tank was achieved with either of the atomisers :)

Got it all fitted except one 25mm Ball Value as company sent the wrong one, but can retro fit that np. But with it missing makes draining tank tank a bit longer.

upload_2017-8-20_16-8-27.png

Settled on the JBL inline amotismers as they do drop the pH faster and less chance of bubbles getting pushed down. But still some testing to do OFC

ShadowMac, keithgh and Tim Harrison like this.
  20. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

That's some serious kit you've got going on there :eek:

ShadowMac, keithgh and Zeus like this.