1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Olympus is Calling - twin CO2 reactors fitted

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Zeus, Sep 18, 2016.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Zeus

This was posted by John, its not the first time I have come across something like this.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/seiryu-stone-raises-ph-and-hardness-to-what-degree.403/

SEIRYU STONE is a grey stone with sharp edges and crevices. It can be used with stem plants or with ground cover plants. (Glossostigma, Hemianthus Callitricoides, and Eleocharis). This is the most popular stone for an IWAGUMI layout and is also an excellent stone to use in combination with driftwoods. Please note that this is a natural material and it comes in different textures and characteristics, some have more crevices and some have less crevices. The picture shown is just an example and we can not guarantee all stones comes in the same texture and characteristics as the stones shown.

Ideal for naturally decorated aquariums in the Amano style. this rock may raise pH and hardness slightly.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Nitrites all clear this morning so stuck one Otto in and went to work. Still alive tonight so stuck other Otto in and 16 Amanos.
    There busy ATM pick some more Otto's up asap

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

3. keithgh

Zeus

It could be too early to tell if every thing is OK permanently, keep us updated on their progress please.

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Amanos are fantastic. I can't sing their praises enough. My 90 recently had a bit of a slowdown in filtration as the filter needed maintenance, algae of all types popped up as a result. Green hair algae being one that is really tough to get out of moss since the moss is also fairly susceptible to spot treatments of things like H2O2. I added 35 Amano shrimp to my 48 gallon tank and within a week or so I cannot find any of it. This is something Amanos do better than any other shrimp type. I do not think cherry shrimp are really that good at algae eating. They do eat biofilms and are great at scavenging left over food and dead plant material, but don't do much to the algae.

You will want lots more Amanos to keep the tank tidy.

keithgh and Zeus like this.
  5. keithgh

Zeus

Amanos and Ottos are known as the Algae Vacuum cleaners and do a fantastic job the bigger the tank the more you will require.

6. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Have a LFS that has the Amanos for sale at three for £5. They have them miss labeled as Ghost scrimp
    image.jpg

Plan to get most of there stock at weekend

lucasgg likes this.
  7. keithgh

Zeus what would the average price for the Amanos normally be?

My LFS buys locally breed cold water pond Red Cherries sells for $5.00 each and they would pay less than 50c each.

8. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Well internet prices from £3.50 each plus P&P. So the price they are selling at is very good. Think they have got their prices wrong. the Person at LFS ( which is part of a big garden center) said that the Ghost scrimp and the Amanos cost the same, as long as I get them at a good price will be happy.

Can see what you mean already, had some algae on side of tank which was above the AS but below the top off the Swords/Grass, and its gone, the scrimp are tunnelling thought the grass/swords at times manicuring the plants (y)(y)(y)
    --------------

Put another 10 ottos in last night, didnt clean all the glass of algae at weekend just to make sure they had something to eat, as they do then to be quite skinny when first purchased

9. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

One of the Cyperus helferi isnt doing very well - yellow /brownish leaves, its only been just over a week, but other two looking good

upload_2017-2-23_20-6-42.png

Whats best option

1. Trim yellow leaves to AS
    2. Trim whole plant to AS
    3. Wait a bit longer

TIA - Zeus

10. keithgh

Zeus

It's highly unlikely those leaves will recover. I would cut them out completely this "should" encourage the new growth

I would feed the plant with a fert tab pushed deep into the substrate to feed the roots, then it's a waiting game.

11. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Trimming the whole plant would be the easier option or is that too much?

12. keithgh

Zeus

Why trim the healthy leaves of a newly planted plant? When I planted any new rooted plants I always trimmed the roots as well this removed any damaged roots also encouraged new root growth.

13. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Most of the leaves have gone yellow/brown so will be much easier to just trim the plant to AS Level. Access to the base of plant is tricky so to trim one leaf at a time will be hit and miss at best, but may be worth the effort
    Trimed the roots before planting

ShadowMac likes this.
  14. keithgh

Zeus

Sounds like the only thing left to do other than replace it with a new plant.

If possible I would trim the roots as well.

15. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Just trimmed the Cyperus helferi wher leaves was yellow brown and has been holding up fine

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Did first big trim of carpet today
    Forgot to do pre pics :facepalm: the carpet was getting long
    used
    [​IMG]

Took about 4hrs - well it was first time trimming a carpet - well planted tank. Plan to get some more scissors too

Those Amanos dont half like nipping your arm :rolleyes: just dropped an big algae pellet in solved the minor issue :angelic:

[​IMG]

didnt take enough off at first as well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can see the Pava now as well, was being drowned by the micro swords.

Might change the Java ferns for some trident.

Got about 50 Amanos in tank and 12 ottos - picked some more ottos up today in quarantine ATM was at a good price

No real issues ATM Light on 6hrs kessils at 60% and four T5s, extended viwing about 2hrs with one kessil on at 5%.
    Ei dosing at 50 to 75% and two 65% WC a week
    Drop checker light green when I get home from work

Been getting on with PLC too

ShadowMac and John Whatmough like this.
  16. keithgh

Zeus
    Have a look at what a dress making and a chemist have and guaranteed to cost far less.

17. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

OMG that tank has taken off. I havent been keeping up! Will be going back and reading through this thread very very soon!

Good luck with your future endeavors with the system!

p.s. balansae is finally taking off! Will explode soon!

Shane

18. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

done about six inches growth on some off the leaves (y) C helferi longer too, well everthing growing really well, Havent started the Liquid CO2 dossing yet

Took the T5 off at weekend and just having the four kessils on it and seeing how it goes. Only had the kessils at 60% and T5s was being a pain during maintenance. So wracked the Kessils to 100% same photo-period six hours plus moonlight.

Main order for PLC and auto dosser done this weekend too.

The mirco swords have been hit for six with the trim I did but the grass is coming back nicely. Glad in a way as the swords was taking over allow the grass to catch up.
    Just had first week with just one WC but did a 65% one

19. keithgh

Zeus

Looks like you have created a tank that is going to be a high plant maintenance.

20. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I love the texture the mixed carpet gives with these two plants. Looks very good. I don't think you can go wrong by adding lots of ferns on the wood. Really fill up the bulky areas and allow for the long branches to appear as if they are projecting out of the plant mass.

You should get some of the "S" curved scissors for trimming the carpet. I love mine and wouldn't go back to using anything else.

Helferi will brown and yellow below where it is cut. Best way to trim it is to cut the leaf at the base just above the roots if you can. The one thing that is a pain about the plant, but as far as tall grasses go it has a great look without the invasiveness of Vals.

Zeus likes this.