1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Olympus is Calling - twin CO2 reactors fitted

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Zeus, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Son managed to get some 'Cyperus helferi' today from LFS good price too (out of stock elsewhere). looks great in tank might get some more:D

twilight end shot- one kessil on low(did another 50% WC tonight)
    upload_2017-2-13_20-26-46.png

ShadowMac likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Zeus

Cyperus helferi going by this photo be careful where you are growing it.

Keith:cat::cat:

Shane P. and Zeus like this.
  3. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

IDD, it is of concern with a few of the plants I have chosen with no experiance of High tech tech tanks (ie Noob status). Thats one of the reasons I decided on the kessils and the PLC, can have the lights on muliptle on off times with individual light intensities. So if one plant is doing really well can turn down the light its getting pretty easy.

ShadowMac, Shane P. and keithgh like this.
  4. HenrySheehan

HenrySheehan Aspiring Aquascaper

Interesting point with regard to the kessils and being able to manipulate them. Is this an option t5's don't really have?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Shane P. and keithgh like this.
  5. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

T5 are adjustable, only if your get a ballast controller which has been designed to do it, ShadowMacs T5 are adustable for intensity. So if you want to adjsut them best to get a unit that does it -not cheap. Kessils are top off the range LEDs which control the intensity and spectrum via an analogue 0-10V, 0/4-20mA range, which The PLC I have on order does a extension module for which works in the same range Siemens LOGO!8 AM 2 AQ - 6ED 1055-1MM00-0BA2 so the PLC can adjust the lights intensity and spectrum via the software. Not all LEDs have the same degree of adjustment.

heres a snippet of the software in beta
    upload_2017-2-15_18-10-41.png

It basically gradually turns the lights on in morning, slowly down at night, then only has one on at time on lowest setting for extended viewing. All the timing are beta testing in the demo program

Shane P. and keithgh like this.
  6. HenrySheehan

Thank God you put up the picture of the software in beta or I wouldn't have had a clue what you were on about :)
    Serious operation in fairness. Think I'll be going with the kessils but not sure bout the plc system.

ShadowMac, Shane P. and keithgh like this.
  7. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Kessil controller pretty good as well, using that ATM

Shane P. likes this.
  8. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Pic off the flow input from spraybars
    upload_2017-2-15_20-13-20.png

Tim Harrison, ShadowMac and Shane P. like this.
  9. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Fitted Twinstar (y)

ShadowMac and Shane P. like this.
  10. HenrySheehan

Does the twinstar run all the time?

Shane P. likes this.
  11. keithgh

Shane P. likes this.
  12. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Comes on for short periods then off for a while. Haven't timed it, but have it on its highest setting for 250l tank. So it's a little under powered really for my tank. But think it will help prevent some of the startup problems.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

keithgh and Shane P. like this.
  13. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

You don't really need to understand the software. It's just maths and switches delays etc. Once you have played with it a bit not too bad. Just looks all Greek to start off with. Plus there are forums on it, plus had lots of help off ian_m at UKAPS. He has one. Mine will be a bit of an upgrade on his with a bit more control of the hardware.

ShadowMac, keithgh and Shane P. like this.
  14. keithgh

Zeus

I can control a timer and the On-Off switch that is about the limit of today's modern electrical gadgets. I just bought a Solar light and to charge it information great and simple. "To charge battery turn light switch to OFF, OK only problem no switch."

HenrySheehan likes this.
  15. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

This is coming together very nicely. The planning and patience are paying off now.

I think C. helferi is a good option if your wife likes the valves. Different growth form rosette vs runners. So it is more contained. I've grown it a couple times. Doesn't take too well to trimming the blades so if you cut them, do so at the base otherwise the ends yellow and get a little ragged. In the distant future you might need to dig it up and break apart the mother plant and replant smaller pieces if it gets out of control. The same would be needed of the C. balansae as well. The only difference being the C. helferi would be easier due to its shallower more fibrous root structure. C. balansae will have a huge root system and may pop up elsewhere in time. Grows slow enough where it shouldn't be a huge hassle. Happy plants will want to take over the tank and do their best to do it.

You are correct about the moss. Once you put it in, removing it will be a challenge and despite the greatest care, it will invade other areas. It adds a great deal of a natural feeling, but erodes the more manicured look of scapes. Depends upon your goals. Small form bolbitis species would be cool on the branches (bolbitis difformis) even standard bolbitis with the tank size. Bucephelandra are great and most will frequently flower underwater. They also have a great deal of variation in leaf shapes and colors available.

The low light extended viewing periods are nice. It is very relaxing in the evening and gets some natural active behavior from the fish who do prefer dimmer lighting.

Zeus likes this.
  16. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Was thinking about the possible algae issue that may arise and what else I could do to help reduce its visit.

Better Flow
    So positioned the left spray bar
    upload_2017-2-16_20-22-7.png

Twinstar bubbles dont get the chance to be not carried away in the current :D

keithgh likes this.
  17. keithgh

Zeus

Most important is a good pair of eyes and follow the basic rules and you should never see it gain.

Every morning at feeding time I would look, do a finger temp test, and smell the water, if there is a problem you will notice it long before it becomes a major concern.

There are many possible causes of algae and to get the 110% no Algae tank you must know every detail about your tank, including what goes in and around your tank.

Over Feeding, insufficient water changes how often and percentage, you water supply checking it regularly to make sure you are not introducing water that is not suitable for your tank, lighting every thing must be suitable for your tank, having plenty of plants, Algae eating inhabitants, know what to do when you see the first signs of Algae.

Zeus likes this.
  18. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Nitrites at 0.25ppm on Micky mouse API master test kit. Used it on small tank with Otto's and Amanos in and was all clear for Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates so using it with caution with reference to an establish tanks results.
    So with a bit of luck should be safe for clean up crew soon.
    Picked up 12 Amanos today at good price from LFS. So 18 ready on standby. Had laugh watching them squirrel off the small aglea pellets I have. In the same light they will move the AS no problem !

19. keithgh

Zeus

Lowering the Nitrates is an easy process

Water changes do two 30% twice weekly.

Deep gravel vac where possible but in your tank wave you hand/net over the plants while syphoning the water out for the water changes, that will remove the waste matter in the plants.

Feeding only feed the minimum and always measure it. While you are reducing the nitrate cut the feeding by 50% and only every second day.

Having a healthy bacteria in your filter is a must I used Seachem Stability at every water change and double strength at every filter cleaning.

You have plenty of aeration no concerns there.

Check your water supply regularly.

I had the water parameters tested regularly at the LFS it was far cheaper than buying an expensive test kit.

Zeus likes this.
  20. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm not to worried about the local water supply, so think testing it is just a was of time/money. Been doing 200l WC every week day night last week. Son tested the kH of the water before he went back to Uni and it had gone down to 8kH which was what I had calculated from the local water supplies data sheets, then allowing for the ADA AS and the seiryu stone having a net neutral effect together. Think the initial high kH was due the the longish DSM or high because it was done straight after flooding and needed as few WCs to reach equilibrium.
    Could use some bio solution to help kickstart the filtration, but seeing as it has been working for several months in garage with a bioload was hoping that would be enough, obviously not.
    Did put a few
    Gel Filter Starter Balls into the filter before flooding tank. [​IMG] But only a small handful. Got them with the Biohome Ultimate free. Had half a bag left. So put the rest into the filter this morning. Did it the easy way putting them in via the filter intake in tank, sucked them up nice and easy.

Just needs time and should be good. Just like to get the clean up crew in. The other fish can wait.

The pH for good [CO2] via pH controller at 6.8pH, took a few days hit and miss to find the sweet spot. pH controller made it nice and easy. Drop checker stays nice and green in photo period, moring pH in the range of 7.16-7.2pH and drop checker is blueish.

Some melting of leaves, others picking up. Two off the C. helferi nice and green, however one going yellowish, it was the poorer specimen, will see how it goes. Repositioned some of the J. ferns, Anubias and Bucephelandra which is why I didnt go down the glueing route in the first place. Also been gettting a few Anubias from daughters old small tank and squeezing them in here and there between Rocks/DW some arent the best specimens but should pick up. Nice thing about rock wood placement is easy to change without disturbing AS.

H. pinnatifida turning a little brown/reddish too on top leaves showing little pearling at times.

Pearling here and there (obviously no pearling is not a sign of unhealthly plants, but nice to see) mainly on plants higher up in tank.

Turned kessils up to 60% intensity but kept main photo period at 6hrs.

Very happy with flow in tank with the spray bar positioned. when the twinstar starts the micro bubbles are jetted off to the other side of tank reaching the independent intake, like a snow storm - must do a vid :whistle:

Tank is a bit smelly which started when a fitted the twinstar, so I'm putting it down to that. Could be the tank cycling also OFC and the fitting of the twinstar was just coincidental as purely observational and not evidence based.