1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Old Goldfish

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Kalli, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Kalli

Kalli New Member

So I've had my goldfish for 7 years. I honestly have no idea how they're still alive, but I have grown super attached to the little guys, and I am hoping that someone can give me some insight into their behavior. They seem alright and not distressed, but they both seem to like breathing air or something sometimes. I was going to take a picture of it, but of course as soon as I picked up my camera, they stopped. :X3: They aren't constantly do it, but just every now and then they'll swim up to the top of the tank and breathe for a sec and then go back to swimming around the bottom. Everything is clean, the tank is brand new (just got it on 4 days ago), and they seem to like it, but I just don't know why they do that. Does anyone know?

2. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Ah ha! Finally snapped a picture of the behavior.

[​IMG]

3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Kalli, Tank To small for the size of your fish:eek::( I know you love them:) But they need a lot more room to be happy;)

4. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Okay, what size tank would you recommend? I can still return my tank, due to the 30 day return policy, so getting a new one will actually be pretty easy. What size tank should I go for? Also, again, this goes back to the I have no idea why these fish have lived so long. :confused: Before I bought this new tank, they were living in a 4 gallon biOrb that my mom bought. :(

Also, I don't want them to get any bigger. They're already about 4 1/2 inches long from tip to tip. Will they grow more if I give them more space? Or is that a food thing?

5. -serok-

-serok- Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi there!

I think they won't get much bigger, but they need more free space. Naturally these fishes live in ponds and lakes with much more space than your little tank. As I've already written in your other tread, give the fishes away, set them free.

If you want to keep them, you need some more fishes of the same type and a tank with minimum size of about 200 gallon.

Just my two cents... ;)

6. Kalli

Kalli New Member

200 GALLONS?! Since reading greenfinger2's post, I read somewhere that the minimum I should have was 20 gallons, 10 gallons per goldfish minimum. D: That's insane. If I do set them free, where should I do that? I have to talk it over with my sister first, since they're technically her fish, but I want to let her know the options. Also, I do have an aunt who has a koi pond. I've thought about taking them there, but I'm worried that the koi are too big and will just eat them. I want the fish to be happy, but also preferably not get eaten.

7. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Kalli, Aunt's Koi pond Fantastic fish will be very happy and will not get eaten :) Big plus you will you know where they are and how they are doing:D If you looked after them for 7 years don't think your sister will have a problem with it ;)

8. Kalli

Kalli New Member

My only big concerns with the koi pond are will the koi eat the goldfish, and can the goldfish survive the drive to the house? My aunt lives about 1 1/2 hours from my house. How should I transport them for such a journey?

9. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Kalli

Goldfish need at least 140 lt of water each, and the larger goldfish require as much as 30 gallons per goldfish in order to remain healthy and thrive. They are an active fish requiring space to move and swim in. Goldfish also require filtration and aeration of the water. These provide movement of the water’s surface, allowing for oxygen exchange, so that the water becomes better filled with oxygen. Goldfish need a lot of dissolved oxygen in the water. Typically, a goldfish tank’s filter system should turnover the tank’s water a minimum of 10 times per hour… a far cry from what happens in a goldfish bowl!

Goldfish pass a lot of waste, in the form of ammonia, mostly via respiration across their gills. This and other harmful chemicals, such as nitrite and nitrate, that you can’t see, will build up in the water quickly. If the levels of ammonia and nitrite are above zero, the fish may become quite ill or even die. Ammonia will build up in less than one day in a goldfish bowl! When your goldfish lives in a higher volume of water, it is easier to maintain proper water quality, when these chemicals are being produced in the water.

Seeing they are cold water fish one problem solved no heating required.

Get two large plastic containers and use their own tank water.

No feeding for at least 2 days it will not hurt them yet if fed it will pollute the transport containers.

Get two small battery pumps (some work from the cars power) add a airstone for aeration.

Do not travel on a hot day early morning would be best.

Feeding wait another 12 hrs.

Keith:):)

Mahantesh likes this.
  10. Kalli

Kalli New Member

That would indeed be quite the production. Hopefully one of the botanical gardens in my area will take them. If not, I'll invest for that trip. Thanks for the info!

11. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

Best not to release them into the wild either as they aren't native to USA. They can cause serious damage to waterways and are a pest in some countries. They are very prolific breeders and can easily out compete local species for food.

12. Kalli

Kalli New Member

They have been moved to their new home with a fish hobbyist near me who has a nice big goldfish tank with other fishies for them to swim around with. Mine are the two in the bottom left corner.

[​IMG]

13. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

Looks great Kalli! I think that your little friends look pretty happy in there.

14. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Thanks! It was sad to see them go.

15. Swietla

Swietla New Member

It is a pity that they have little plants. Goldfish like to eat plants. Good idea to plant a fast-growing.