1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Ohly's first scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Ohly, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi everyone,

I'm back !

I really apologise for my recent inactivity..

I've been more than busy recently ... But don't worry, I still keep an eye on my tank!!
    Even the tank have been through some changes !!
    And thats a bit why I didn't wanted to comment on every little changes I've made! It would have been a bit boring !

The tank is now on its way back to beauty ! Now it shelter a good cleaning squad, an hungry adult amano, one sleepy otocinclus, one
    ... One I think we can call flying fox ... I forgot its real name right after I bought it ! ... My memory is sometimes selective! Haha!
    And the squad is completed with a couple of neocaridina ( the majority of them are juveniles, babies of a blue pearl like mother and a sakura yellow like father ! And guess the color they are !!!
    RED!!! barely pure red cherry .. If you don't mind their parents color as well !!

I got rid of the Hc because it was withering ... I trimmed the eleocharis two weeks ago,

I also got rid of the cyano and on my way to -Exterminate- the diatom!

That's pretty much it !!

By the way: i'm planning to start a small shrimp tank at my girlfriend's sisters apartment, because we will lodge there until her rent contract is finished, it will certainly run with an hang on the back filter, I'm not sure what tank I will get but what plants do you suggest for a shrimp tank?? Moss and anubias?? Maybe not,

Sponsored link:

2. chiangstar

chiangstar Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Ohly

Welcome back! Out of interest, how did you kill the BGA and what are you doing to get rid of the diatoms?

It's a shame you had to get rid of the HC also, but I can understand the frustration as I almost did the same thing!

Any pics?

Cheers

Simon

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

I killed the bga by water change every 3 days or so, and by manually removing it every time I saw some
    Quite a hard job of every day during 3 week

No pics for the moment and I will wait till the diatom level drop !

ShadowMac and greenfinger 2 like this.
  4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Ohly, :D Glad things are getting sorted(y) Algae is a pain But we can beat it:) Well keep it under control :LOL: Looking forward to the pics :whistle:

Ohly likes this.
  5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I had gotten rid of HC twice before finally getting it to carpet. Don't be too discouraged, it is a difficult plant. I've been inactive lately, too. ;)

Ohly likes this.
  6. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

janey and greenfinger 2 like this.
  7. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

...what an horrible accent i had yesterday

8. greenfinger 2

Hi Ohly, Its a lovely accent :cool: Very well spoken too. Love the video Sorry your HC did not grow What lighting are you using at the moment ?? I have A 12" Cube with one 24w 6500k GLS lamp and Diy C02 And HC is growing well. The fish you forgot the name of is a Flying fox Epalzeorhynchos kaloperus and can be territorial and can be trouble for other fish :( The better one is a Siamese flying fox Crossocheilus simensis And the black line runs right along the body and to the end of the tail fin well the v bit.And are not territorial but do eat a lot of algae best if you keep them in 2-3 or more there happy that way otherwise they can just hide away (y)

ShadowMac and Ohly like this.
  9. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

I said horrible accent because most of the time it is a bit different

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

10. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hi Ohly,

thanks for posting the video. Always great to see these. They give a good picture to how things are going and what the tank looks like when operating. Don't worry about the accent, I prefer it over the more common Canadian accent, eh. ;)

A couple notes:

I would level your spray bar in the back so water does not break the surface, but provides a gentle ripple. You have good flow and that should not be an issue. You want to be cautious to not degass too much of your CO2. This could be a reason for the die off of HC and the subsequent bloom of diatoms. Thank you for sharing your tank with us.

Ohly likes this.
  11. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

[​IMG]

Some hc showed up ... That weird but it kind of pop in !! Sure its only two Leaf of less than one mm but still !! Maybe it will spread

12. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

For the safety of the shrimp I keep, I am currently treating my tank for planaria using no-planaria.

13. greenfinger 2

Hi Ohly, On another thread ??? I Cannot remember what thread:( You wanted the name of the long things on the shrimp there called "Antenna" in English :)Shrimp have two pairs one short the other pair are long.

Ohly likes this.
  14. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi,

My tank is currently puzzling me...
    Its been a couple of month since I've started it, and I've learned a lot about aquascaping, plants , and even me!
    But what my tank has become now, is the result of some neglect and lack of experience..

For sure the tank is quite stable since 3 weeks. But what i've observed, is that my substrate is filled with organic matter... Swarming with waste worms, and housing planaria..

The plants are not thriving that much because of water quality resulting from dying hc and deaths etc...

There is only me responsible for the outcome of the tank.

So I think what I will do in the next week is :
    Giving my 4 amber tetras and 2 RCS, getting rid of all plants and a deep cleaning of the substrate using a syphon ( I think) deeply cleaning the filter,
    Tripple dose or more of no planaria for one week and after that I will replant the tank

What do you think ?? I need to know what's your opinions about restarting a fresh tank ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  15. greenfinger 2

Hi Ohly, Sorry to hear about the problems :(

That's what i would do(y) A deep clean of the substrate & filter treat the tank with no planaria then replant in a few weeks. Is the filter now working ?And will you be using your DIY LED on the tank this time ?

16. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

Yes the filter is working, I've fixed it with new impeller and shaft a couple of days after it broke.

And its sure that I will use my led light this time. I finally bought the led driver available at a local store, only thing that I don't like about this driver is the price, with taxes applied it cost 53$ ...

Do you think I should rescape the tank??

I'm also going to place some biomax as bottom layer of the substrate to prevent compaction.

I might try again eleocharis parvula

But I'd like some stem plants at the back.