1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Ohly's first scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Ohly, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi everyone,

I'm a registered member since a couple of month now and since that moment I never stopped learning new things about maintaining a fish tank and also planted tank. I even gives some advices to a couple of people! ;)

In my project I choosed to build my own tank, its a unique tank (for its dimensions) 40x30x35 cm..
    40L (11Gal)
    The filter is an Eheim classic 2213.

For the hardscape, I decided to use the Fluval Stratum substrate for planted tank (the green pack) its a blackish brown colored. I choosed this substrate instead of ADA aquasoil only for a matter of money, the closest store wich sells ADA equipement is 125 KM from me.
    And for the stones I used some slate (ardoise). I like the look of the slate when broken, and also because its a really common rock in my area.

The overall concept is for now really basic, I created a slope from the upper left corner to the front right corner.
    The thinnest layer of substrate is about 5 cm, is that too much ?

I placed some slate, I'm pretty sure there is something I can do to ensure the look, but I can't see it for the moment.

I will cycle the tank for the first week, only having one plant, no advanced lighting and no CO2,
    I will put new stuff next weekend,
    And start to fertilise next week(2 September).

For plants, I'd like to see what you suggest. I'm planning to buy a CO2 system, and I will temporary use a fluorescent bulb (cool white).

Here are some pic took with my cellphone.

uploadfromtaptalk1377463695871.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1377463724779.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1377463752626.jpg

And yes it look like a basement... The only place my step-mother allow me to start a tank.... It's better than nothing!

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Ohly , I like the slate :D As to plants HC Cuba As ground cover ;) Something taller at the back ????? Or something different from the normal thing you see Looking good mate :D

Ohly likes this.
  3. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

Actually I have some issue with a leaking connection at the top of the filter :(

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Ohly

[​IMG]

I lightened it up a lot plus coloured the back and side so it can be seen without all the distractions.

The first thing I noticed was 6 rocks in 2 rows of 3, not a good look, very formal.

With the magic of Photoshop I stretched the back rock to give you an idea how a taller rock would look and give you that extra height required.

My other suggestions remove front RH rock X, also move the centre rock forward about 10cm or ???

Just a few points for you to think about that should improve your Aquascape.

Keith:):)

hydrophyte and Ohly like this.
  5. greenfinger 2

Hi Ohly, Sorry to hear that:( What is it rubber seals or ???? Hope you sort it out soon mate PS press the wrong button and put a like on you link when i ment to press reply Never mind Silly me. Looked like i liked you having problems. But did not mean it that way mate;)

6. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

It was a minor leak, it stopped by itself .
    But I'm gonna keep an eye on this connection though.

Keith, I didnt ment to place the slate in a X path.. for the big one on the left, I'm not sure I would be able to lift it up from the substrate, this slate have a flat base ...

About plants, Hc Cuba is interesting, but I would like to get à gradient from the hc to another carpeting plant... But I don't know what other plant.

7. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

okay, so i need you guys to help me find some plants to put in the tank,

i'm going to a dedicated aquascape store this weekend so i need to know what to buy,

i will wait maybe a month before buying a complete co2 kit, so will it really matter for the first month, only using flourish excel as co2 source ?
    but with a good lighting

8. greenfinger 2

Hi Ohly, How about Elatine hydropiper has bigger leaves Than HC Cuba think it grows a little taller to so would give you the gradient :) Others will know more ;)

9. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

tomorrow is the great day,

i will drive 110KM up north to get at this store : http://centreaquatiquewm.blogspot.ca/
    sadly, their blog is only in french ... but wathever ! :p

i'll ask them about what plant i could put in my tank, what lighting they suggest (i dont have any source of light in the tank so i need it quick)
    also, if its not too expensive, because i have a limited budget of 180$ for all these things.. i will think about a CO2 system!

as greenfinger2 said, HC cuba may be a nice carpeting plant, but i really like the look of hair grass and the dwarf version... would hc cuba and something llike eleocharis ''something" could fit together???

and i'd like to have many different plants, not only 2.. and not too many though.. unless you tell me to stay with 2-3 plants because its my first planted tank.. ?

Keith : i did what you suggest, and guess what? the hardscape is nicely improved! i'll post some pic tomorrow

thanks ! ^^

Ohly

keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

Ohly

As you might know I have been playing around with planning and design work for all my working life and a lot of Aquascaping, all up that would be just over 60 years now and for some reason I can still often visualise way ahead.

Ohly likes this.
  11. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

i bought :
    - two pot of hemianthus callitrichoides
    - two pot of eleocharis parvula
    - six little fishes wich i forgot the name .... *see pictures*

it turns out that i got too many hc cuba... but still planted all of it :p

so, o dont have that much to say ..

heres the pic.

_DSC6384.JPG

_DSC6399.JPG

_DSC6391.JPG

Ed Villagracia and greenfinger 2 like this.
  12. Aquaboy

Aquaboy New Member

Nice.. Those little fellas are borraras briggitae if I'm not mistaken...

Ohly likes this.
  13. keithgh

Ohly

That is what I mean just a few simple moves and all of a sudden the Aquascape takes on a totally different look.

Can you try this (water movement) if you have any GEO liquid add a few drops in the top centre of the tank and note the water movement.

The GEO is perfectly safe to use it might cloud the water for a short period of time as well as collect any fines and dump them into the filter.

Next see if you get a better movement if you had the outlet at the back of the tank, the outlets pointing to the front bottom corner.

If the back is the best see if it can be left there if not back to the side of the tank.

Ohly likes this.
  14. greenfinger 2

Hi Ohly, Looks fab :) I like the little fish to :cool:

Ohly likes this.
  15. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

That is a nice looking scape for your first! I went with asimilar "mountain" look for my shrimp tank I just set up(will post pics soon) and I like your choice of plants. However I would break the DHG into smaller parts, it will grow better and fill out faster, i usually tear mine into peices of about 3-4 blades and plant them kinda close to eachother. The first time I tried growing it I planted it in clumps and it all died out. ALSO I suggest getting a co2 system if you;re trying to grow HC cuba, its the only plant that I've tried and not been able to grow. I do not run co2 but was trying DIY for a while. Good luck and keep us updated :D

keithgh likes this.
  16. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

The whole thing is going well.
    I forgot to mention the fertilisation the aquascape store suggested me.
    He told me to use seachem: trace, potassium, and excel.

If needed after a couple of week, seachem iron.

For those that want to know, I started my tank the 27 of august.
    The planting was the 31 of august.
    The tank wasn't cycled but I introduced the fishes the same day, the guy at the aquascape store told me to use the seachem stability during one week to cycle the tank.. with the fishes, some may say that I need to cycle before adding living creature, but the thing is, the tank can't cycle itself out of nothing, even if you use a cycling liquid.. because the bacteria you are adding need to feed on something, and it is the fish poo and everything else.
    For sure I won't have a completely cycled tank in only 7 days, but it fasten the start.
    And you need to wait at least a month before adding shrimps because they are sensitive to one of the two bad element (nitrite or nitrate... The bad one )

I forgot to tell that two of the six borraras briggitae does not survive the bag travelling time, unfortunately the plastic bag got squeezed while I wasn't looking and so two of them got injured... :( and died..

:p I am actually planning to buy a co2 kit, but I'm not sure if I'm better to go with the ADA kit, wich is highly priced at 320$ ( without the taxes... Here it's about 14%. D: ). Knowing I'll have to pay 28$ every 2 months for a new ADA co2 Cartridge.. or if I'm better to go for a regulator from eBay with a 2.5kg bottle of co2 ?

17. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

hardscape look nice. but mixing HC and Hair grass in a small tank, for me not good.
    Hair grass will over run your HC. also, it is better to plant HC in small clumps or much better 3 stems per sq.cm.

if you really want both inside your tank, the best place for HG is at the back side of your tank and put something
    like perimeter fence to stop the HG runners crossing over your HC [front foreground]

just my humble opinion....good luck to your project.

Ohly and Mahantesh like this.
  18. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

all goes well, since nothing bad happened.. yet
    oh, there is that boring film at the surface, i'm looking for some way to get rid of it. .. does anyone know how to get rid of the surface film, without buying expensive suface skimmer like the VUPPA-I ??

and since the post of mr_ED, i'm thinking about replanting the eleocharis parvula in smaller group, and maybe getting the HC out, and probably give it to a friend...

the fishes seems happy, they mostly stay in the same area, but the swim all around the tank ^^

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  19. greenfinger 2

Hi Ohly, To get film off the water surface .You could try paper tissue .Turn off filter so there is little water movement then lay tissue on the surface but remove it quickly so it does not brake up do this with new tissue each time do this a few times till film has gone. Works for me :D

Ed Villagracia and Ohly like this.
  20. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

..........or siphon the upper portion of the water level to remove oil film
    then add water up to your desired level.

i am thinking why you have oil film. eheim2213 is more than enough filtration
    for your tank. i am not quite sure if you can do this because of tank size however,
    see if you can raise the rain bar a little higher.