1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Novice aquascaper - posting pictures of progress. Advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Sapdaddy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Sapdaddy

Sapdaddy New Member

As I mentioned, my brother knows nothing about tank care or aquascaping, all things considered he's not doing too badly! I told him he should probably trim and propagate some plants and he should top up the water - he is a lazy soul though, might take him a while to get around to it.

With regards to my tank, I will keep a watchful eye on plant health. It's just nice to have clear water again IMO :)

Sponsored link:

2. Sapdaddy

Sapdaddy New Member

Current water parameters (Water change was performed after reading)

pH - 7.0

kH - 3

gH - 7

PO4 - 0.5 mg/L

NO2 - 0 mg/L

NO3 - 0.5 mg/L

Fe - 0.4-0.5 mg/L

NH3/NH4 - 0.003 mg/L

How can I increase iron content? The level seems low - other than that, things seem ok.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Sapdaddy

I am waiting for that update

Keith

4. Sapdaddy

Sapdaddy New Member

Final.jpg Creepy that you'd say that just as I'm posting o_O

Anyway here it is, made some changes since last time

5. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

nice sloping from right to left.
    i am thinking open space front off center to see white sand perhaps and a couple of rocks in place of the wood but it you have a better dw.............ah i prefer rocks:D

6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

hi Saddaddy love the journal;) your scape has come on so well(y)(y) just love that open space and as mr_ED said nice sloping (y)cheers roy ps WOW and i think you deserve that WELL DONE MATE thank you for sharing;)(y)(y)cheers roy

7. Sapdaddy

Sapdaddy New Member

I would absolutely love to take credit for the sloping but sadly I must admit it happened by accident :p still, I noticed it when I was done and thought "love it when crap just lines up like that :)"

As for the DW, I'm not sure if I have the resources (i.e. money) to replace it with rocks so I'd rather make what I have work - that is a future project, though. I could always start a new tank with the DW.

Anyway I'll pick up some mekong sand soon to fix up the path, just one thing - how does one properly add the sand while underwater? Any tricks of the trade?

8. keithgh

Nick

Leave every thing well alone for at least 6 months plus and then self criticise it very hard and I would surprised if you do nothing but a good trim.

WHITE Sand path WHY ???????? it will look like a search light in a pitch black night.

Over all its a fantastic effort.

Keith:):)

9. Sapdaddy

Sapdaddy New Member

I wasn't aware that there were sands other than white, hehe.. The sand used right now was an improvisation, gravel thrown on top of soil.

I'm happy with how it looks at the moment, then again I also thought I was done with re-doing my scape quite some time ago. That being said, I'm pretty sure it's staying as it is.

10. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

that piece of wood pointing upward do not compliment your scape.
    if that is my tank i will remove it.

why create that small open space if you will not enhance it for a better scape effect.
    you may use bown sand or white sand to brighten up that space. too dark for me.
    not an expert..........just my personal opinion.

use a funnel. pour it with white sand cover the mouth with your finger slowly deep the
    funnel with sand inside your tank right in the middle of the open area slowly releasing your finger.
    repeat the same until you are satisfied with the white sand height and effect.

improvised funnel - cut any plastic bottle of soft drinks up to the neckline. you can use the
    bottle cup as cover and release same once it is deep inside the water tank.

you can use both whenever you need to add substrate even in a establish tank.

11. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

I read the first page of this thread then jumped to the last picture and my jaw almost dropped at the improvement. I think you have done VERY well for yourself!

Sapdaddy likes this.
  12. Sapdaddy

Sapdaddy New Member

As much as I'd love to do something about that driftwood pointing upwards, it would mean I would have to remove the piece entirely. Since I discovered my bolivian rams decided to spawn on it this morning, I'd rather not disturb it for now!

Also I'd like to show you guys another tank I made as a gift to a friend, what do you think? She has since filled it with guppies.

P4100003.JPG

P.S. Rmac - thank you for the kind words, made my day :)

13. keithgh

Nick

First impression not impressed at all, it looks like a gravel driveway to where ????

Through the magic of Photoshop I stretched it across to the left and gave you an interesting path vanishing into the distance.

By doing that it also stretched that flat rock out and it improved the over all effect.

I also raised it up a little on both sides now the tree looks like its just over the hill.

I also notice two small rocks front LH side they match the path but not the others

[​IMG]

14. Sapdaddy

Sapdaddy New Member

That's awesome, honestly I wish I had the artistic mind to see that in the beginning. I'm trying to emulate that as best I can by moving some rocks to create some 'bumps,' making the right side a bit more hilly. My original plan was to have something like that, but as I filled the water and moved the tank between various hiding spots, the hill just sorta... disintegrated.

I can't make the path any smaller than it already is, but I'll try to create that hill more. I absolutely love what you have done with it.

15. keithgh

Nick

Just Syphon of about half the depth of it and about 50cm from the front then just top over it with the dark substrate.

As far as seeing an end product as I taught Cabinet making and Technical/Secondary students and I had to see the finish product before they started as it was usually their final exam work that could take one year to finish.

Its too late to make major changes towards the end.

16. Greg Johnston

Greg Johnston New Member

I am about to start my first attempt at a scaped tank and although I have followed the forums and looked around many places this is the first I heard about not using activated carbon. I'm curious why this is bad and what it should be replaced with. I regret to admit I have very little experence with aquascapes and even fish keeping.

17. greenfinger 2

Hi Greg, A/carbon takes out any ferts you put in +takes out toxins but once reaches full load it will leach back into water columm would replace with any good bio fillter medium hope this helps(y) cheers roy

18. greenfinger 2

Hi Nick , sorry to hijack your journal do forgive:) cheers roy