1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

November 2010 Aquascape of the Month: "Ecstasy of Gold"

Discussion in 'Aquascape of the Month (AOTM)' started by John N., Nov 4, 2010.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

November 2010 Aquascape of the Month

INTRODUCTION
    [float_left][​IMG][/float_left]My name is Branislav Rakić (Zander). I’m 30 years of age and I live in Novi Sad, Serbia. I have fallen in love with aquaria as a child by virtue of my uncle who used to be my only resource of aquarium information at that time. Later I’ve explored the older literature and magazines where my uncle gathered the knowledge. At that time the knowledge has been far away from “internet age of aquaristic”. Even though the hobby was very interesting to me, I took a long break from this hobby which lasted until 2005.

When I initiate a new tank, it did not dawn on me that very soon I would going to dedicate so much attention only to aquatic plants.

At the local aqua-shop I used to buy anything they had on the shelves and tanks. Slowly I discovered and learned from internet forums and aquarium plant communities. At the time, I didn’t know a lot of people engaged in the aqua hobby and it was difficult finding plants that kept my interest. Nowadays, it’s much different.

Recently, me and my fellow aquarists established a new forum www.mojbiljniakvarijum.org which is aquatic plant-themed site. There we are always in touch. We help each other, exchange plants, and hang out to share our aquarium experiences. Two or three times a year, we organize a gathering in different places of Serbia, Just for the hobby and the fun. There are aquarists from Serbia and other former Yugoslav Republics. We would be very glad if someone from the ASW-forum could one day join us at our meetings.

[float_right] [​IMG] [/float_right]
    On the right, you'll find a photo from the international aquarists meeting in Novi Sad (present people from Slovenia, Croatia, Greece and Serbia). I am the third from left crouching down, just beside IAPLC poster.

At the moment I have two planted tanks; one 170 liters and another 115 liters. I adore experimenting with various DIY substrates and fertilizers. In my planted aquariums, I keep good flow rates in my tanks (3-5 times the volume of tank per hour). While I am arranging my tanks, the well-known melodies of songs are boosting my inspiration; hence some of my tanks got are named after them such as "The Ecstasy of Gold“ by Ennio Morricone.
    [float_right][​IMG] [/float_right]

Aquascaping Ecstasy of Gold

Honestly , I didn’t expect the plant setting to be finished the way it did in "Ecstacy of Gold" because the tank started with very few plants and different stones. As time went by, every time I looked at the hardscape and plant arrangement I could not decide if the layout was perfect. So this layout was reset and changed many times.

GREATEST CHALLENGES

It is interesting when I first started this layout, Blyxa japonica did not grow very well. It remained dormant and languishing until I found the solution.

I solved its poor growth by injecting a mix of peat and volcanic rocks under the root by syringe with cut peak. After that, the Blyxa japonica started to grow normally, almost to the point where it became overgrown for the layout it was originally designed for.

FINAL THOUGHTS & ADVICE

In my opinion, the best thing for aquascaping is patience of course. And while failures do occur, we must remain patient and learn from the troubles. Personally, I had several failed attempts when starting many aquascapes.

Mainly, I had made mistakes due to my desire to change and experiment with elements in the aquascape and increase plant growth. But errors are perhaps the best way to learn and progress. It is important to enjoy creating your own work and the results will come by itself.

[float_right] [​IMG][/float_right]​

Attached Files:

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Here are a few other aquascapes by Branislav Rakić (Zander).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-John N.

Ian likes this.
  3. Octopus

Octopus New Member

Well done my dear friend.

There are a lots of good aquascapers in Serbia but you are one of my favorite .
    Keep your good work

4. l p

l p Aspiring Aquascaper

Congratulations Zander, well deserved...unique and original aquascape that's different from most of today's aquascapes. :proud:

5. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Very deserved tank of the month. Well done

AC

6. Paleoglodit

Paleoglodit New Member

Bravo!!!:=D>:=D>:=D>

7. ianho

ianho Aspiring Aquascaper

love it! and love the write up!

it's good to see you all together from your forum as well.

8. dr.dzek

dr.dzek New Member

Ecstasy of Gold ;)
    BEST REGARDS!!!

9. redcable

redcable New Member

Congrats, love the scape very much.. ^:)^

10. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Deserving scape of the month.^:)^

11. Rastovac

Rastovac New Member

Bane :amillanbliss:

12. Karlo

Karlo New Member

Great my friend!

13. tompa

tompa New Member

amazing scapes! well done, keep up the good work! such scapes serve as a good incentive!

14. zander

zander Aspiring Aquascaper

My fellow-aquascapers, thank you all for your comments and compliments !:yo:

15. ianegx

ianegx New Member

So Artistic!!! Love it :amillanbliss:

16. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

this aquascape, and the last one on the second post id say is your best imo, and my favorite. very inspiring :D one day i shall be at this level :D and hopefully have the income to do it XD

17. valisnerija

valisnerija New Member

All praise zander !!!!!

Your works I like it because they are all original, I have not noticed any similarities or copy others!

Congratulations once again!:tea:

BANE super!!!!!!