1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

noob here... same algae problem all the time

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Rabbi, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi New Member

I have been in the planted tank hobby for a year now,.. i should have made a point to remember the date then i could bring my tank out on a date... but i always have this green thread algae appearing all over the tank, which makes it look really ugly, which is quite embarrassing.

I did some research and that it is caused by excessive iron which i will try decreasing after a water change this coming Sunday. I am also using Qista algae remover made in Taiwan and i was wondering if anyone has used the similar product and whether it is safe for shrimps and my pair of ramirezi cichlid,.. i dont want them to die because i love them.

since i am a noob i was hoping i could get some lucky advice from experience hobbyist on this algae issue.:waiting:

2. littlefish

littlefish New Member

first you should get some water test and see what is wrong with the water, to see what is the cause of appearing algae and stop it.

3. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I very much doubt it is iron. I am guessing that you have thread algae and people used to say (and the same people probably still do) that it was caused by excess iron but it isn't.

Low CO2, Low nutrients or even an ammonia spike could cause it.

Can you identify it on this list:
    James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

Don't add any chemicals to remove the algae. Assess the root cause and address that. If you use the chemical it will just come back afterwards.

AC

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Hi Rabbi, for start you might want to post your tank specification. Tank size, light wattage, fert dossing, CO2 level, etc