1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Nigel's Iwagumi 128L

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Nigel95, May 21, 2017.

1. Nigel95

Nigel95 Aspiring Aquascaper

Went to the LFS and I like the looks of the cardinals the most :p

keithgh likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Nigel

I have always found the Cardinals are always the strongest and healthiest compared to Neons.
    An importer always advised me to buy the youngest you can get reason being they are always stronger and naturally have a longer life in your tank.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Nigel95

I was planning to go for the biggest as they looked 'better' compared to the smaller ones. But Yeah your points sound true.

4. keithgh

Nigel

Its not too hard to work out which will live the longest. One little tip buy a few extra just in case you loose a few.
    Over the years I often bought more and always the young ones.

5. Nigel95

So far it seems the first part of the cycle is done. Tested ammonia: 0 but nitrite sky high: 1 ppm +

Day 7

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    BBogdan likes this.
  6. Nigel95

Sorry I don't 'get' your point. What do you mean exactly?

I just have Ada aquasoil and measured it.

keithgh likes this.
  7. Nigel95

Bought 50-60 rcs for 20 euros to make a good start in my Iwagumi. Most of them are still small. Some will stay in the small tank for 'better' breeding as in more stable water parameters due no Co2. Java Moss wil later be added on the piece of fake wood to give them a better environment. Thinking about to let like 20 in the 6g and 40 in the 34g. Tank is still cycling so for now they will be all in the 6g.

Will try some crs later If the tank is running Well.
    Attachments

Attached Files:

keithgh likes this.
  8. Nigel95

New plan what if I buy 5 cardinals and 5 green neons and decide then which I like the most. At the end I would only have 5 of 1 type but if they school together shouldn't be a problem?

keithgh likes this.
  9. keithgh

Nigel

That sounds like the most senseable thing to do and by doing that you can work out what suits your tank and your personal choice.

Nigel95 likes this.
  10. Nigel95

Monte carlo has been doing really well. Carpet is getting there :). Much better than in my 25L. Probably due smaller clumps and maybe RGB led instead of a desk lamp. Hair grass also sending a few runners in such a short time. The plants look a bit washed out hopefully this will be less when I lower my lighting. The white stripe will also be gone then but I'm carefull with the lighting. Keeping it at 7 hours and lowering the lights every week like 5cm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BBogdan and keithgh like this.
  11. keithgh

Nigel

Looks like every thing is going along slowly, it will not be long before you will be doing the plant trimmings etc.

When do you intend to introduce your inhabitants?

12. Nigel95

Currently at the nitrite spike. As soon as the tank is cycled im adding amano shrimp.

13. keithgh

Nigel
    Are you using any Bio Starter eg Seachem Stability this will be beneficial to your filter.

Because you do not have much in the way of leafy plants I suggest you buy some cheap leafy plants and let them float this will help the Cycling process very much then when tank fully cycled throw them out or take them back to your LFS.

14. Nigel95

So far I am using some green bacter from ADA. Guy gave me some when buying the tank. The filter is seeded with biological material from my other tank (which wasn't really matured around 2 months but still something). I wrinsed out the blue filter sponge to transfer some bacteria aswell. My plan was to use floating plants at the start, but the seller (of a experienced guy who owns a shop) told me don't make it to difficult. If you transfer some filter media you will be fine (he said). I was thinking about to buy easy-life filter medium and use it like once a month after a water change. But had some responses that such bottles are just a waste of money. What do you think?

https://easylife.nl/en/freshwater/water-conditioner/easy-life-fluid-filter-medium

15. keithgh

Nigel
    All I can say its been recommended many Forums over the years it does help. I have used it many times

Yes that it is correct it does help "a little"

https://easylife.nl/en/freshwater/water-conditioner/easy-life-fluid-filter-medium
    Never heard of that product sorry I cannot help there.

Seachem Stability is a totally different product, its main purpose is to boost your live bacteria in your filter. This speeds up the Cycling process extremely fast, when added at each water change it keeps your good bacteria very healthy.
    Its a product I used for many years.

16. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

Green neons are cool, and so are cardinals. Green neons prefer high temperatures, so they may not be the most ideal fit for a high tech planted tank... but it is all up to you. Choose what you would like, and what you feel suits your tank the best!

Shane

keithgh likes this.
  17. keithgh

Nigel

Green Tetras
    Temperature Range 75-85°F
    Water Parameters pH: 5.0-6.5; Hardness: 18-143 ppm (soft water); Freshwater Tank

Cardinal Tetras
    pH range: 4.0 – 6.0
    Temperature range: 23 – 27°C / 73.5 – 80.5°F

Using those figures
    If you are using both for a short period of time I would recommend
    pH 5.5 - 6.0
    Temperature 75 - 80.

Check with your LFS to see what Temp he is using for the Tetras.

18. Nigel95

green neons might be a better option as I can't really get the ph below 6,5. I would gass my livestock with my tap water ph. I was aiming for a temperature of 24-25C

19. keithgh

Nigel

Did you do a typo do you mean the Cardinals, Temperature range: 23 – 27°C.
    Why 24-25c such a low temp?

20. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

Just wanted to add a note. Keith is right about Seachem Stability it is absolutely worth it, I generally cycle a tank in 7-10 days and that's running a couple stable days. You do have to provide an Ammonia source, but that very well can be your fish. Seachem Prime will detox up to a total of 1ppm of both Ammonia and nitrIte combined. You can do a water change to get to that level add a full dose of Stability and Prime and off you go. I check parameters and dose Prime daily along with necessary water changes with fish in the tank to keep them safe.

On another note, you don't have to match ideal pH for fish. It's much more likely to backfire (spikes and drastic drops out of the blue) messing with dosing pH products than to acclimate a fish to your tanks parameters. For example I currently keep a Gnathonemus Petersii without altering my pH (other than the mild change with driftwood) and it runs fairly high at 8.0-8.2, ideally he'd be between 6-7.5. A stable pH is much more important than a perfect pH. That said the pH changes from co2 do not affect fish in the same way as the functional minerals balancing the pH are not changing (like night and day in a lake). There ARE some fish such as discus that react like invertebrates and don't do well outside their parameters. As far as I'm aware (though not explicitly familiar with green tetras) no tetra species is particularly sensitive if acclimated properly. As for Crystal shrimp, I can dream to have them but I'd never get parameters in line for them. But I do keep Cherries.

Beautiful tank! I love your ideas and can see this turning out wonderfully for you with any decisions you make! I've been keeping aquariums for over 25 years and planting them for many of them.... I still haven't managed a tank on the level of yours!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ShadowMac likes this.