1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Nigel's Forest scape 128L

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Nigel95, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Nigel95

Nigel95 Aspiring Aquascaper

Yeah the height of the substrate helps a lot with depth. Wish I would made a bigger slope in my current 80 cm. But we learn every scape :)

So far this is just potting soil for practice in my wooden box. My plan to make cheap high slope is using a lot of lava split. Which is permanent and cheaper than aqua soil. On top of that a little bit of soil on some places where I want plants in the ground. But most will be covered again with lava rocks and moss I think. On the path and in front la plata sand.

Found a few stores with better prices (€15 / kg, normally it is 30 here) Couldn't resist to buy everything that looks like a tree. Yeah It cost a small fortune but I am happy with it. More hardscape is always better.

Thanks Keith

Well the next step will take some time. I want to enter contests with my current scapes and they are still a long time to go. For now it just practicing in the mock tank. When contests are over I will look all the hardscapes that I created and build the one that I like the most.

Zeus likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Nigel

That sounds like excellent advice you have given your self. The good old Mock Tank works every time.

Keith:cat::cat:

Nigel95 likes this.
  3. Nigel95

4. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

They look absolutely phenomenal! I hadn't realized just how much bigger the 128 l was then the other one. Such great colors and bright green healthy plants

5. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Looking great Nigel, love the sense of depth you've got in both scapes ;)
    The bigger of the two looks like old growth forest with slowly senescing veteran trees.

keithgh likes this.
  6. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

Just agree with what said, your planning really giving results ,two nice aquascapes Nigel

Culprit3 likes this.
  7. keithgh

Nigel

Thank you for posting your beautiful tanks which were presented perfectly.

Its a lesson to all members on how your Aquascapes/Photos should be presented.

8. Nigel95

Thank you Culprit. The 128L is quite some bigger. I do love the chihiros rgb I am curious about the twinstar s series or even an ada rgb. But no money atm for that.. :p

Thanks Tim, I wish I put a bigger slope and more trees front to back for even more depth but I did my best on my first tries for forest scapes. :)

Thanks John, planning is really important for aquascapes. I really enjoy them atm and that is the most important!

Thanks a lot Keith, you also helped me a lot in setting up this scapes!

keithgh and Culprit3 like this.
  9. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

I love how you have two completely different forest scapes. The small one is a moody mysterious gloomy looking scape with really good sense of depth. The 128 L I agree could definitely have used a bigger slope to create better depth but its brighter, and has that old growth virgin forest look thats been around for eons. THe large trees have grown so much that they have choked out everything but the small carpet of ferns and mosses and the occasional small shrub.

Nigel95 likes this.
  10. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

I don't know, I think it works well the way it is as well, almost as though the forest is on the top of a hill...like there is a mysterious drop off at the back leading to who knows where.
    In a sense the flatter substrate allows you to borrow extra depth from infinity.

Nigel95 and keithgh like this.
  11. keithgh

Nigel

It was a pleasure working with you especially when looking at them now as they slowly develop into a work of art.

I agree with Tim 110% re the slope, there is no set rule you "must" have a slope, neither of those tanks happened over night, you put a lot of thought and effort to get to that high level of Aquascaping.

Nigel95 likes this.
  12. Nigel95

Tim Harrison likes this.
  13. keithgh

Nigel

It looks like a very interesting plant to have in any good planted tank. Is it the light that is effecting the colouring in some of the leaves?

14. Nigel95

Yeah I really love buces. Gives it a little fern idea in the forest. I think the rgbw led unit helps in colouring the plants.

keithgh likes this.
  15. keithgh

Nigel

Plus a lot of loving care also helps.

Nigel95 likes this.
  16. Nigel95

keithgh likes this.
  17. keithgh

Nigel

Over all it looks very good.

My eye cannot stop looking at one piece of DW. Its at the rear of the Scape just a whisker to the left of the pathway. Its giving me the illusion its a lot closer than it should be.

One solution, could it be brought forward up to the log laying down across the pathway?

The lightly fill that area across the back with finer pieces but various heights as if they are over the hill and further away.

It might work or be a complete horror and that means think of something else.

Nigel95 likes this.