1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Nigel's Forest scape 128L

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Nigel95, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Nigel95

Nigel95 Aspiring Aquascaper

Thats why I went for fissidens fontanus it only grows up to 5 cm. And Maybe it will look Nice when it is that long. What mosses Does he use ?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Nigel

Mosses can accumulate lot of gunk etc this can result in algae growth if not maintained correctly, use an air tubing to siphon the gunk out by waving it over the moss. One little tip attach the air tube to a long piece of firm plastic or wooden dowelling. That way it will be easy to move around as your hands will be out of the water.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Nigel95

Good idea, I have tons of rcs in there hopefully they will help to with cleaning the moss.

I also have a turkey baster which can help me with removing gunk from the moss.

keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

Nigel

You make it No 10 in this chart.
    Are you pumping water over the moss then sucking up the Gunk?

[​IMG]

Nigel95 likes this.
  5. keithgh

Nigel

The Otocinclus Catfish is an amazing little scavenger for freshwater aquariums plus its an excellent Algae eater, another excellent scavenger is the Khuli Loach they will get in and out of places no other inhabitant can go.

Nigel95 likes this.
  6. Nigel95

Didn't use it so far moss is still small. Will use in future when needed. It will be something like that.

keithgh likes this.
  7. keithgh

Nigel

Great its called being prepared to deal with a situation as soon as it starts.

8. Nigel95

Day 60

Added 2 "trees" in the back. Not sure about the tree added on the left in the back. The tree added in the middle looks good IMO. Tried to tie some weeping moss from my other scape on some branches. Hard job in tank! Hate to use glue (would be much easier but still). Fish still a little bit blurry due low shutter speed. But when I change it picture gets dark. There are 13 green neon tetra in tank now. I keep 5 of them in another temporary tank to keep bacteria alive for my next scape (that is now in DSM). After that they will be added to the scape.

[​IMG]forest scape 128l day 60 p3 by Nigel H, on Flickr

keithgh and Zeus like this.
  9. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

Wow its looking really good. The moss is looking perfect. Glad you went with the sparesly planted look, it looks beautiful

10. keithgh

Nigel

[​IMG]
    I Photo Shoped the lighting a little for you.

All good, if they were evenly spaced a big NONO.

Just take it slowly and it will develop as it ages.

11. Nigel95

Thank you Culprit

The photoshop is better. Is it allowed to do that for contests? How did you do it exactly in photoshop?

You don't like the trees that are added? I think it gives another sense of depth. At least the one by the path.

12. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

I Liked it on my phone on the PC it looks even better (y)

Nigel95 likes this.
  13. keithgh

Nigel

Sorry I did not answer that question YES its all OK.

I use Photoshop Elements its far cheaper and very easy to use. When I open it I click Enhance, I can click Auto Smart Fix or adjust a few other bits and pieces it takes less than a minute and its all finished.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-premiere-elements/features.html?promoid=7N826F8J&mv=other
    This is Adobe USA

14. Nigel95

15. keithgh

Nigel

I have had a very good think about this and a few work the remainder just look wrong.
    Both trees RH side look good as they look very natural.
    LH side you forgot the field of vision where they appear to be thinner towards the rear of the tank.
    To wind them more soak then in extremely hot water as long as you can this should make them flexible enough to be able to wind around the trunks or lower them from the tops of the trunks. Note the different thickness of the vine pieces. All these are the finer points of Aquascaping which make one stand out compared to the ones who do not attend to the fine details. If in a Competition its those finer details that will always give you a higher rating.

I have seen vines growing up trees in tropical Australia. They are very similar to this and many more in this link.
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...QEIKDAA&biw=1024&bih=537#imgrc=zbQzNCiQ_nspaM:

[​IMG]

Nigel95 likes this.
  16. Nigel95

Great pictures Keith!

The roots are kind of a risk as no one in my country knows if it's safe to use in aquarium. It's completely dry but still need to check this very well. I can't find another source of vines/roots that big so had to take the risk. I know the wood is totally safe for birds but still no confirms on aquarium.

I rather don't wanna cook it with hot water, as I have read it can damage the structure and degrade / rot more quickly.

Removed a vine on the left. Still need to work on it!

After thinking I am going to add some weeping moss on the trees. I will lower the water level and use glue. Hopefully no mess, fingers crossed.

Problem is that this wood is all the same thickness. So hard to increase depth with smaller vines in the back.

17. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Going off the Pics at the stage its at I prefer No roots, But further down the line............. dunno they make work then.

18. keithgh

Nigel
    That is correct if you want to leave an Aquascape set up for several years.

I was referring to the vine on the trunk second from the left its the one between the two trunks. That vine looks a lot thicker.

19. Nigel95

Moss on the lava rocks has grown a lot. Also added some moss on the trees with glue. Not really happy with the result. Wish I used fishing line while setting up the tank. Now very hard / impossible to do with trees standing up. But still I think the glued moss is better than no moss. Enjoy the video!

Day 75

20. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Looking good. The glued moss on the trees yes you can tell you have done it ATM but in a month or two!
    Neater job than I did with my glue, had a white steak on horn wood for a month or so, gone completely know. Or is mine just covered in BBA lol , it's gone.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

keithgh and Nigel95 like this.