1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Nigel's Forest scape 128L

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Nigel95, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Nigel95

Nigel95 Aspiring Aquascaper

The tank is set up! Now I have to wait like 4-6 weeks so the mosses will attach to the hardscape. Can't wait to fill it already!

Impression of the hardscape enjoy ;)

keithgh likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Nigel

Members should be saying thank you for posting that video. It has taken awhile to get to that stage and I am positive you are very happy with the outcome so far.

Keith:cat::cat:

Nigel95 likes this.
  3. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

Wonderful video!

keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

Yes Culprit its one aquascape you should be following you will learn a lot from Nigel.

Culprit3 likes this.
  5. Nigel95

Keith, thank you for your kind words.

Culprit3 and keithgh like this.
  6. Nigel95

Mold problems on spiderwood. Even with some air opening and daily 10 mins airing. Tips are welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

7. keithgh

Nigel

Its a natural occurrence it can happen as the timber is still rather new to your tank. Once you have added the water and its fully cycled it will slowly disappear. You might be able to remove some of it if its annoying you. Try a new medium/soft tooth brush but it might come back.
    With a bit of research I found this, it "could" be something leaching out of the wood?

8. Nigel95

As long it is harmless I am fine with it. The pieces were soaked a pretty "long" time in water but yeah it could still be releasing stuff.

The thing now is when Should I fill the tank. Some say after 2 weeks, Other say best to wait 6 weeks. My experience is after putting some Stones with fissidens in a tank (4 weeks dsm) it is still very fragile(moss). The combination of amano shrimp and good flow Can result in completely clean stones with no mosses left on it.

So after filling I will keep the amano's away for the first months and throttle the outflow down.

Longer dsm = more mold.

Not sure when to fill.

The moss is pretty expensive to get blown away.

9. keithgh

Nigel

OK when equals 2 or 6 I would take the average 4 weeks but I would warm the water up to tank temp first.

I always warmed my change water in 20+lt water containers in the laundry trough. I would then pour the water into the tank using a plastic watering can kept especially for that job.

10. Nigel95

Keith there is no chlorine in my tap. With a garden hose and with an aquarium intake. I do my water changes straight from the tap.

Works fine but when filling the aquarium for the first time I have to be careful.

IMG_5413.JPG

keithgh likes this.
  11. keithgh

Nigel

Lay a piece of plastic held down with a few rocks and slowly run the water into the tank.

By doing that it will not disturb any of the substrate. The filter inlet will work wonders

12. Nigel95

I think the scape will be to empty with planting (in terms of height)

What about some flame moss in the back? And any other suggestions are welcome.

13. keithgh

Nigel

At the moment I would completely forget about plant height as your DW is your height. The plants will not be trimmed like a lawn which will give you another perspective.

14. Nigel95

Finallly it arrived! Trying out the chihiros rgb 60. Unfortunately I had to pay tax and some fees to the post company. With the Aquatlantis easy led the plants in my iwagumi looked yellow and unhealthy. A simple desk lamp showed much better colors. Hard to say how the chihiros is because of no water in the tank. Heard it Can look pretty blue but we will see.

The lamp is pretty high to avoid fire as the chihiros Can heat up a lot and I don't want it to close to the trash bag. I use a trash bag for dsm as wrap foil is impossible to use with all the spiderwood that sticks out of the tank. When flooded the lamp will be as low as possible to get the maximum par out of this lamp. The par in this scape will be still pretty low around 36-50 depending of the location in the scape on substrate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

keithgh, John Whatmough and Zeus like this.
  15. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Got mould on my wood/AS during long DSM, left it airing for longer periods later in the DSM as the plants got established overnight or even a day at times. Depends on plants drying out, my carpet was well rooted at the time so was fine

16. Nigel95

I try to keep the mold away with a piece of cloth but it keeps coming back. Think I go for more airing and less condensation and just hope the mosses will survive, as they are not in wet substrate.

17. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

The substrate does look very wet. What about just letting a bit more ventilation - say just leave a corner open at night. When I aired mine I had it fully open at times mine was a Ribbed tank with glass covers after the first couple of weeks just used the glass covers so it was aired as air got between the gaps in the glass.

Must say in the last pic it does look good even at this stage (y) looking forward to see its progress

18. Nigel95

Thanks Zeus

I have two small gaps open 24/7. If I put them more open there will be no condensation but less mold.

19. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

When the condensation went in mine so did the mould too. But I had no moss, go carefully I would.

Nigel95 and keithgh like this.
  20. keithgh

Nigel

Controlling the mould is just one of the disadvantages of the DSM. Its a matter of getting the ventilation correct.

Nigel95 likes this.