1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Newto aquascaping, want to setup this tank

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by mouselover01, Jan 25, 2012.

1. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

You could transfer some of the water, but I think transferring the brown gunk from the filter in the goldfish tank to the new tank is a better idea. That stuff is way more loaded with the good bacteria you want.

So after you do that, wait at least a few days, and check the ammonia levels every day. And don't go too crazy with water changes during this time. You have a small tank... the idea here is to give the tank a chance for bacteria to grow. If you change out too much water too frequently, you'll be slowing that process - or preventing it all together. You want the ammonia to go down -- but because there's adequate bacteria in the tank to handle the waste, NOT because you're changing out so much water so frequently. Hope that makes sense.

Keep us updated!

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Water doesn't really carry the bacteria needed for cycling as well as mulm or substrate. The bacteria grows on things, filter media, gravel, substrate, etc. Add mulm as I described, or some substrate from an established tank. Or you can wait for it to cycle. There are products out there that are supposed to cycle tanks like seachem stability. I can't say how effective they are as I never really pushed it to see. Mulm from your filter or substrate is just as good.

glofish are zebra danios that have been genetically altered. an interesting procedure...the modification continues to the offspring. I got a chance to do something similar to this in college.

Guppies are tough fish as well. The danios are the toughest fish I know of...had some in my dorm room in college that I gave to my younger brother..those buggers were alive years later despite not getting good care. They lived for about 5 years or more.

I wouldn't add water from your LFS to your tank. I've observed most fish stores do not follow good protocol to ensure their tanks are disease free and that the disease is not spread from tank to tank and you could introduce something into your own tank.

3. mouselover01

mouselover01 New Member

Thanks!

Good to know about the fish store water. I'll put some gravel and "stuff" from my current tank. I changed out my filter media in my other tanks a week or so ago so i'm not sure how the new ones are now.

But thank you! I'll put some gravel/substrate and decorations from the old tank, into the new one to help it out some