1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Mistakes?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Sep 14, 2013.

1. Carbo Narapa

Carbo Narapa New Member

Hi, I'm new to the site, and thought about starting it off with some forum chatter.
    My biggest mistake was using algae remover, purchased as a liquid chemical applied to water. I read where it said "safe to use with fish", assuming put drops in + fish in tank = no more algae.
    Boy was I wrong.
    The night before I put the dosage for my 26 gallon tank, I woke up to a crystal clear, and I mean clear, tank. The chemicals did a phenomenal job. Turns out it paralyzed all my fish into floating vegetables tossed in the tank current.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.

Sponsored link:

2. nick.scott

nick.scott Aspiring Aquascaper

I have to admit I just made a newbie mistake.... I bought a "new" eheim 2213 from ebay. It arrived today, yay! But turns out it definitely wasn't new, and it definitely didn't work, just leaked all over my carpet and even sprayed some water from the top :mad: getting my power strips wet, which freaked me out and nearly made me have a panic attack.

now my room is damp and smells funny >:C and I have to deal with trying to ship this POS back and get my money.

I realize this is sort of unrelatable... but I just wanted to vent a little bit. I'm so upset. Sometimes it is worth spending a little bit more money to make sure what you're getting is reliable.

ugh :( this ruined my afternoon

John N. and greenfinger 2 like this.
  3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Carbo.Welcome to ASW Sorry to hear about your fish:( But we all learn from our mistakes ;) All the best advice on this forum:D Enjoy

4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Nick, Always good to have a rant and get it out of your system Hope you get your$$$ back soon And getting your power strip wet:eek: That would freaked me out too. I done it once but never again I ended up across the room :LOL: Hope all go's well from now on(y)

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Nick

There is a very good chance it was not a genuine Eheim either, it looks like cut your losses and only buy from reliable Eheim suppliers.

Keith:):)

6. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

Oh no Nick that's really awful. I'm very sorry to hear that things went so wrong. You weren't to know that it was dodgy, so don't be too hard on yourself. That's not a newbie error - anyone could have made the same mistake.

To make you feel better.. I bought a 400L tank a few years ago that came with a UV sterlizer. It ran great for a little while, but I came home one day to find 200L of water on our carpet. Turns out the seal burst in the UV. We were out so whole tank would have emptied, but my partner left something at home so we turned back around to get it. Needless to say, she wasn't impressed.. Also needless to say, I wasn't very impressed.. The seller said that it was a 3 month old UV. Had it checked out; the unit was over 4 years old..

You are not alone :)

nick.scott and John N. like this.