1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Mistakes?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Sep 14, 2013.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

We were all green and new at one point.

What was your "newbie mistake" that you wish you avoided?

-John N.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

John

The first thing that came to my mind was "believing every thing the LFS told me"

Remember I started over 45 years ago No Computers, very little info from Books or Magazines in those days No Forums naturally, Aquarium clubs never heard about them.

I had a little corner filter box in one corner for a deep 3ft tank, I washed it under the tap including the carbon every week as per instructions LFS, added table salt for live bearers, I think I only topped the tank up no water changes.

Over the years I have made a lot of silly mistakes and that is how I learnt.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. Mahantesh

Mahantesh New Member

+1 to Keith. I and my fish suffered a lot, believing to LFS.

Just to sell their stock they tell all crap and till today I see the same. But now I laugh at their face. I almost stopped going to stores and do all my aquarium shopping online.

nick.scott and greenfinger 2 like this.
  4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi All, Keith, Mahantesh,Well as we all live in different parts of the world :cool: LFS seem to be the same everywhere then run by morons who are just in it for the money:( Some of the advice they give:eek::confused: I feel sorry for the people that buy everything tank plants fish then go home only to see it all die (n):cry: But there again they should of at least done some research. But that does take time and most cannot be bothered:( Ho well what can one do???Well Join a fantastic forum Like ASW:D Always the best advice from people that care :)

Mahantesh likes this.
  5. Mahantesh

Mahantesh New Member

Dear Roy,

I agree to the point of doing some research before buying. I think I made a mistake there.
    But after learning my lessons, I have learnt to be patient and do some googling before buying anything.

Regards,
    Mahantesh

6. greenfinger 2

Hi Mahantesh, Google Fantastic:love: Look things up at a push of a button. Keith Told me that more than once :LOL:(y)

7. John N.

Those are good lessons to learn from.

biggest mistake is buying too much..and not focusing on one tank. Too excited.

John

8. keithgh

I must admit way back then there was not much in the way of information around you could get.
    You had to learn by your mistakes.

9. greenfinger 2

I came from that period of time learn by your mistakes :cry: Glad its over (y) Well now things have moved on :D With ASW Forum:love: Exchanging Ideas and information about our hobby:love: Still make mistakes(n) Well that's just Human :LOL: But can always get the best advice now from the best around the world :cool:(y)

10. ianho

ianho Aspiring Aquascaper

N03 and p04 cause algae...

They don't.

11. John N.

Lol. The age old debate. Has this been proven?

John

12. ianho

ianho Aspiring Aquascaper

Yes, light + ammonia cause algae.

13. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

I had a tank that was 2 foot long. I heard that you needed to make 30% water changes. Simple I thought! I'll just pick up the full tank and tip 30% of it out the window. Don't worry about moving the fish first, of course, they'll just ride the bow-wave and keep away from the waterfall. Too easy! I don't need fancy forums and expensive books, I'll just use my common sense to solve problems ;) Now, lets put some cold tap water back in the tropical tank - I don't need to remove the chlorine from my water, I can swim perfectly fine in my pool outside and that's PEOPLE water, what more could fish want? Why don't they chlorinate rivers so that fish don't swim in a bacteria filled mess?

And so on....

By the way, do not use any of the above as actual advice. Actually, if you're a local fish store owner (you know who you are) and you would like some some inspiration for your next un-scientific, dangerous and frankly cruel means to move products, please feel free to use any of the above in your sales pitch to beginner aquarists. After all, the current advice you are giving them is complete garbage why not have some fun with it?

:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:barefoot::cautious::censored::cry::love::LOL::notworthy::ROFLMAO::sick::sleep::sneaky:(y)(n):unsure::whistle::X3::coffee::giggle:

Edit: These are the ACTUAL emotions that you will experience on your journey from beginner to advanced beginner. Those are the best few decades in the hobby, eh? :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  14. greenfinger 2

Hi Glenn, Fantastic :D(y)

ShadowMac likes this.
  15. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

It has been disproven. We can think of it like this. Algae needs far less nutrients than plants to grow, so how can you expect to grow plants by limiting nutrients as an algae control? If you get to levels algae can't grow I can guarantee you won't be growing plants.

As Tom Barr has always said, focus on growing plants well and you won't have problems with algae.

We can find natural systems with nutrient rich water and inundated with algae, however we can also find nutrient rich waters with clean healthy plant growth. We cannot find systems with low to no nutrients and find plants.

I think many make correlational observations and assume they are causational.

16. ShadowMac

My newbie mistake is really a combination of mistakes leading to me spending a ton of money on crap I didn't need. Honestly, I've come to the conclusion by well once.

It is SO hard to source plants and fish where I live, and it took me a long while to stop buying from a particular place online after multiple bad experiences. It took me a while to find a great place to get fish and learn where to buy plants.

17. ShadowMac

Here is a great example of the myths and snake oil you will find on the internet:

This is a "review" of a product that was out there some years ago called the Eco Aqualizer: http://www.saltcorner.com/Reviews/showreview.php?reviewID=19

At first glance it appears to be an independent review by a knowledgeable hobbyist.

Here is an article debunking the very product our above reviewer loved so very much:
    http://www.rexgrigg.com/debunked.htm

This thing was so outrageous it is a great example. Be cautious out there as a hobbyist. You have money to spend and some people want it who don't deserve it. I also want to point out I DID NOT buy this thing. I did however purchase substrate heating cables I never used.

18. greenfinger 2

Hi All, My biggest mistake Under gravel heating cable and i had that running for about 6 years or longer :(:( What a wast of electric and was not cheep to buy think it was about £80 £90 (n):( but When logged on to ASW was reading a thread that said they were rubbish so took it out Plants still doing well without it:cool::D:D Thanks ASW you saved me £££££ Always top info from top people;)

19. keithgh

Shawn

Many new comers to fish keeping actually believe every thing the LFS tells them and if its on the WWW it must be true.
    If it was not for many of this type of Forum fish keeping would be in a very sorry state.
    Even Mods in some Forums are actually giving totally wrong info.

20. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

I think a good rule of thumb for beginners to any hobby is to spend as much time proving something wrong as you do proving something right. Sometimes we want to believe that something is right because we have spent so much time/effort/money adhering to a practice that is inherently flawed, or that one course of action is easier than another. It is hard to admit that you were wrong, but if you do people will respect you more and you will be more successful.

Aquarium keeping spans a spectrum of science and art. Science is about facts - learn where to get the black and white you need to be successful. The art side of the hobby is a much broader philosophy and is a mixture of personal taste, creative intuition and the principals of design. The funny thing I've noticed along the way is that every advanced planted tanker has a different mix of skills - some are brilliant at the science, others are brilliant at the art. A select few are brilliant in both areas.

Just because I say this now does not mean I avoided the same problems. I have made the classic errors too, and will make mistakes in future. Nowadays I will always check if I'm unsure because I flatly refuse to waste time and money!

Shawn (ShadowMac) has a brilliant quote below his signature: “Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” -
Ralph Waldo Emerson. When you are new you want to do everything at once because you are passionate about having your own beautiful piece of nature at home. Many of us are trying to recreate nature which is a collossal endeavour when you think about it. Patience is the key. Plus it's a whole heap of fun!