1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Newbie here, hi all! Lots of questions!!

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by BigAL777, Jul 23, 2014.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I was referring to stone placement. You should keep in mind all of those examples use pressurized CO2.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.

Sponsored link:

2. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

Oh OK, what do you think of my concept sketches? Which one is your favorite? Which one would look the best with or without further replacement?

3. BigAL777

4. BigAL777

Rescaped the tank! Excuse the mucky water, I just put the plants back in.

Attached Files:

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  5. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi BigAL, Looking better ;) The hair grass would look better if you plant it all at the back. With a another low growing plant at the front ;) Just a though

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  6. ShadowMac

If you like it, I say you leave it be and let it grow in. Focus on growing the plants now. Let me know about the monte carlo. I have not gotten a PM.

7. BigAL777

I just started a conversation with you, I have no idea if that's the same as PMing.
    I like the layout of this, I took a picture of another style I tried to go for, but I ended up liking this one better. So far all I hear is, grow your plants, does the hardscape look ok to you?
    One more question, I can buy liquid ferts, or I could get root tabs, which do you think I do? I know a lot of the low growing carpet plants are root feeders and root tabs do a lot more for them than most other plants.

Attached Files:

8. ShadowMac

hardscape looks fine. As you gain experience and an eye for aquascaping your skills and layouts will improve. I think its time to move on to growing the plants and getting a healthy tank.

moss_maniac and greenfinger 2 like this.
  9. greenfinger 2

Hi BigAL, Use both tabs & liquid ferts (y) Tabs need replacing every 2-3 months-- Ferts. I would add everyday ;)

keithgh and BigAL777 like this.
  10. BigAL777

How much flourish should I do daily for my 10gal? I guess that's about 38 liters. The directions say weekly.
    Is it OK if I fert every other day and just mix it in with the water when I change 50%?

11. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Fertilisers can also be a minefield some of the main reasons are.

Different brands.
    Liquid or solids.
    Exact amount of water in the tank not actual capacity.
    Quantity used.
    How often and when.
    No two tanks are exactly the same, substrate, depth, plants species and varieties, lighting type and hrs per day, fertilisers, Co2. even your water supply.
    Then you get the DIY home mixes

Its a matter of selecting a quality product following the instructions to the letter and take notes of what you are doing and be prepared to adjust as required.

Many LFS will push what they sell as the best or as good as the top over priced brands.

Keith:):)

12. BigAL777

I just picked up seachem flourish liquid and seachem tabs from petsmart today, I just put in 1/4 ml and haven't added the tabs yet, I'm waiting on the Monte Carlo from Shawn :) I'll monitor the plant reaction to the amount of ferts but I will keep it consistent.
    I also added a few 37ยข shrimp to help with bioload and eating excess fish food. They are good little scavengers.

13. BigAL777

ShadowMac and greenfinger 2 like this.
  14. greenfinger 2

Hi Big AL, Yep i been tuning in;) Love the pod casts Scapefu Fantastic info (y)

keithgh likes this.
  15. ShadowMac

I'll get the monte carlo off today. You will want some good tweezers for planting.

Your tank should do just fine with the root tabs and daily or every other day Flourish. Make sure it isn't excel. Excel is a supplemental carbon source but won't provide ferts. The standard flourish which is brown is what you need.

The next key will be learning what your plants need and how to provide that. Observation and experience can only be gained through trying and sometimes failure. I shared my newbie experience in that ASW article. I've become a decent aquascaper in the last several years since then.

16. BigAL777

My girlfriend is a nurse so I already have tweezers, I mostly use Kelly clamps which are like forceps except they have a curve at the end.
    I made sure the flourish wasn't excel. The root tabs are flourish as well.
    I think I will rescape the tank one more time before your plants come in. I'm going to tape out my tank in 3rds to stick with a good focal point, I may map out the triangles too, not sure yet, but the current scape isn't the final layout that I want. I'll also move the grasses to the background.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  17. greenfinger 2

Hi BigAL Shawn said it:) Observation and experience :cool: When i started in 2013 :DThe amount of journals and sticky's i read:eek: Made my head hurto_O:eek::) Still on a big learning curve :whistle: But enjoying every minute :cool::cool: Well that's what hobby's are for relaxing ;)

18. greenfinger 2

Hi Big AL, Thank you so much :cool: I have a couple of pairs in my tackle box straight and curved :) For removing fish hooks ;) Never gave them a thought for planting :eek: Cool :D

keithgh likes this.
  19. BigAL777

Mine had griped edges on the inside that I filed down so the roots wouldn't get stuck to them. I like them better than tweezers because they have holes for my fingers to go in and because they have a longer griping area vs just the tweezers point.

20. BigAL777

Does anyone know why I might be having these bubbles at my surface? Ignore the algae-d filter, it's old.

Attached Files: