1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Newbie here, hi all! Lots of questions!!

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by BigAL777, Jul 23, 2014.

1. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi BigAL, I collect my river stones the same way :) Have a look for some darker stones ;) Another fisherman great:D I often look at how the stones are placed by the water movement in the river:sneaky: Like gravel banks an alike :) Great way to learn about stone placement :) Nature at it best :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Roy is the original "Scrounger" when it comes to finding things for his hobby.

He also hunts the Op shops.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. greenfinger 2

Hi Well you cannot beat Cheap or Free:LOL:

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Roy

How very true.

Keith:):)

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

BigAl,

Your swords don't look too bad to me. Your planting should be fixed though. The horizontal portion of the plant that runs between the vertical leaves are runners. They can creep along the surface of the substrate, but the root system isn't developed so they won't be held in place. You should plant them so the runners are under the substrate.

If you end up getting new rocks, try to improve the sloping of the substrate. Also level the front. This will improve the overall impression of your tank.

I really suggest trying to make the reactor. If you are diligent with changing the DIY solution you may see very good results. Roy is one such person who has made the best out of DIY CO2 (although an exception and not the rule ;) )

6. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

OK thanks for the tips guys, I'll see what I can find, the problem with river rocks is it's hard to find a good Oyaishi stone while it's half buried in mud lol. I would like to do seiryu stone but at this point it's out of my reach (I'd have to order it online, I have no idea how much to get + shipping will be expensive).
    These plants I have are kind of difficult to keep under the substrate. Their roots are short and the grass is pretty delicate so trying to pick the runners out and making sure only they are under the gravel is a challenge on their own. I do about 50% water changes every other day, so I think when the water level is pretty low I'm going to see if I can do some more scaping tonight after work. There's a plant in the backmost part of my tank that I'll take a picture of to see what you guys say I should plant and how.
    I've heard of people using an old gravel syphon tube, which I do have an extra one laying around, however I don't have a L shaped piece at the end of my powerhead

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. BigAL777

OK the first two pictures I'd like some advice on planting, it looks like it's shooting roots out, but it's pretty random. Also how short should I "mow the lawn" or trim the grasses?
    The third picture I think I've already figured out how to plant, but as you can see the plants naturally grow like that in my aquarium, I think it's a combination of insufficient lighting + the strength of flow from my powerhead. I'm happy with the coloration of these plants at the moment, that means to me that they are getting enough nutrients to grow even though the only fertilizer I have in my tank is a dwarf gourami.
    Am I able to cut the runners off just below the roots and replant?
    After making the reactor with the viewtainer, where should I put it? I don't really have a lot of depth in my tank for a 4" tube attached to my powerhead.

Attached Files:

8. ShadowMac

tweezers will help you plant them. There are lots of youtube videos of scapers using long tweezers to plant. Plenty of Amano doing it.

You can place the reactor wherever it fits best for the tank. If you want to save room you could make or buy an external reactor and run the outlet of the pump into it and use another tube and outlet off the reactor to run that water back to the tank. For purchase I like the ISTA small reactor.

This model: http://www.amazon.com/Gulfstream-Tr...d=1406739534&sr=8-1&keywords=ISTA+CO2+reactor

or this model: http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Prop...d=1406739534&sr=8-4&keywords=ISTA+CO2+reactor

Or of course you can make one from parts found at your local hardware store.

9. ShadowMac

another interesting DIY reactor:

10. BigAL777

So with a DIY reactor, how does the co2 get released into the water? It looks like it goes into a tube to get chopped up and then through another tube gets recycled through the powerhead and back into the tube again.

11. greenfinger 2

Hi BigAL ,The Co2 diffuses into the water column;) The longer the bubbles stay in the water & the reactor the better the diffusion :)
    I just keep it simple and use a bell system:) So long as there is a good water flow near the bell it diffuses the Co2 very efficiently (y)
    I just use a plastic pot with a sucker and stick it to the side of the glass to collect the bubbles of Co2 from the tube ;) Simple but it works i am running two tanks like this:D One is a 1ft cube 27 Lt, and a 100Lt tank both are doing well:rolleyes: And have been running these for 1 year on Diy system :) Must admit as Shawn has said its can become a PITA :D Learnt lots by doing Diy Co2 over the last year (y) But thinking of a soda stream system now:rolleyes: time to move on :cool:(y)

ShadowMac likes this.
  12. ShadowMac

water exits through the bottom of the reactor in these examples. A sponge or filter floss is used at the bottom to prevent large bubbles from escaping. There are holes drilled into the bottom. I believe it is the same for the Barr Report model. Large bubbles float up while water with dissolved or very small bubbles are forced out the bottom. Filter floss/sponges are great on models that are not connected to filtration systems, otherwise they can clog and reduce flow through.

13. ShadowMac

I gave up on DIY very early on. I was fed up when it clogged and built up pressure within the yeast bottle. I unscrewed the cap and it sprayed the mixture all over. At least it smelled like a bakery...

Pressurized has large initial investment, but little investment in terms of maintenance time and cost. Whereas DIY has little initial investment but much more in terms of maintenance time. Maintenance cost is pretty negligible.

14. greenfinger 2

Hi Shawn, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: We all learn the hard way :D My Wife hates the smell:( She said it smells like off beer :confused: My plants like it though :LOL:

15. BigAL777

Ahh I get it. What is this bell thing you speak of?

16. greenfinger 2

Hi BigAl, One photo of the cube in the early stages. It shows the bell system on the LH side;) The filter is behind. So has a good flow around the bell. You can set it up anywhere in the tank:cool: So long as the flow is good 016.JPG

17. greenfinger 2

Hi BigAl, Same tank about 6 months later :D 01.JPG
    At this point i gave it a trim :)

ShadowMac likes this.
  18. BigAL777

Looks good, I like the look of the big river stones over the substrate.

Is there something I should avoid with filter floss? Can I use filter floss for air ducts?

19. greenfinger 2

Hi Big AL, When you say air ducts ?? Do you mean a little bit of pipe that is above the water level from the filter ?? That takes in air and lots of bubbles of oxygen come out into the water with the flow?? Can you post a photo ;)

20. BigAL777