1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Newbie from uk!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by lee82, Feb 2, 2014.

1. aliclarke86

aliclarke86 Aspiring Aquascaper

You should put the gravel at the bottom in some old tights or a filter bag or something to stop the tropics substrate from falling through

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.

Sponsored link:

2. lee82

lee82 New Member

Arrrr.....good idea

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Lee

The old stocking trick works, I would prefer a good 1-3mm natural river stones just my opinion.

Keith:):)

4. lee82

lee82 New Member

Is the drawing i did correct in terms of how to get the plant substrate to the plants?

I do like the tights idea but im concerned that the slope id have to create to give that stone height is going to be quite high and would the gravel hold and not slide down?

Thanks

5. keithgh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lee

O think you should make up a cardboard box like this and a low front for the front level of your substrate.

Use a cheap sand and by doing this I think you will get a better idea of what the finished scape will look like.

Its a lot easier and safer working away from a glass tank besides there will be no distractions or reflections plus you can experiment with backings.

Ian and greenfinger 2 like this.
  6. lee82

lee82 New Member

Thanks keith,im not too worried about the look of the scape, its more that stability of the slope ...but looking at it again the slope only seems quite steep due to the fact that i havent really built up a thick enough layer on the right hand side so it looks higher than what it would actually be.

In retrospect im thinking of changing the stones all together as you mentioned earlier about the white patches being distracting which im more and more agreeing with that but also i would like to try getting a more varied size of rocks as im becoming more and more convinced i should have a larger primary stone then i wouldnt feel the need to build the slope higher to compensate for the stone

keithgh likes this.
  7. keithgh

Lee

I like your thinking a little extra time now will save a lot of playing around later.

I was looking for a particular size and shape river stone for the Terrascape in my collection of two buckets fulls and in the end I walked across the road to a friends big new rock garden and I found three possibilities now I am happy.

8. lee82

lee82 New Member

Small update...

Right...i decided not to use the stones i previously bought and instead spent £35 on some dragon stone as i like the look and textures of it , ive asked the shop for around 5/7 pieces with largest being abt 25cm in height/length and the rest in decending sizes

Also i bought some easycarbo and a planting/trimming kit too (y)

Heres a pic of the rock i bought...see what you think:D

image.jpg

keithgh likes this.
  9. keithgh

Lee

Both of those rocks have plenty of "Character" try to use them so the best side/shape can be seen

Remember the best of rocks will look very ordinary if not correctly placed.

My suggestion make up the sand box and have fun in that then show us what you think is your best layouts the more the better.

10. lee82

lee82 New Member

Well that is just a pic from their website so hopefully i will get a better variation of rocks and from reading reviews from other customers they say they can easily be broken down and often expose a better pattern,i did tell the company they are for an iwagumi style aquarium so hopefully they will use there own knowledge to select the right stones for the job.

Was looking at some youtube videos on algae control,now a guy was using hydrogen peroxide to spot treat it,is this a good idea? He did say not to over do it and maybe only use a couple of squirts at a time but not really heard too much about this method so thought it might be abit contraversal? I suffer from hair algae mainly on my heater but also down the back of my tank were the water flows back in from my filter.

I only feed my fish once every 2/3 days and also had my light turned on the very dim blue night setting for last couple of days and seemed to help slightly and was thinking if this method would help? Been thinking of also getting a couple more plants to help use up any excess nutrients that may be contributing to the algae growth and saw on youtube a moss may help too

11. aliclarke86

aliclarke86 Aspiring Aquascaper

H202 works well mate you can add it every hour/2 hours. Failing that spot dosing liquid carbon also works well.
    Love dragon stone, you will be cleaning it for ages when you get it. Its crammed full of clay usually :-D

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  12. lee82

lee82 New Member

Yeh most of the reviews said that abt clay because of all the holes in it but they said using a hose helps blast it out lol

I bought the easylife easy carbo so hopefully that will help too :D

13. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi lee82, Try double dosing the liquid Co2;) For a few weeks this should help (y) But if its still around after that you can then dose H2o2

14. lee82

lee82 New Member

Is it safe to double dose roy?

15. greenfinger 2

Hi Lee, Yes I have been doing it in one of my tanks as the moss started to show signs of hair algae in the last week :mad: This moss is on DW near the surface by the inflow pipe so have turned down the lighting and started to double dose liquid C02 the fish & shrimp are fine so far :)Ho i trimmed back the moss too :D Take out as much Algae as you can as often as you can as well:) A cotton bud is useful you just twist it round and round and the hair algae sticks to the cotton on the bud :cool:

keithgh likes this.
  16. lee82

lee82 New Member

Well my order arrived today :D

I was very keen on seeing what size stones they sent me and how accurately they listened to my request for decending sizes....well they didnt quite hear my request but sent me 5 large stones only very slightly smaller than each other but i managed to break one down giving me some good sizes to play with.....so...
    Got straight on with jet washing the stone and wow...the amount of clay coming out from it never stopped but eventually Got to a point i was happy it was clean..
    Heres the pics of my stones...

20140225_154605.jpg

20140225_154600.jpg
    20140225_154556.jpg

17. greenfinger 2

Hi Lee, Nice rocks lots of character to them :love: Love the way they brake down into smaller pieces too:cool: The reason they leave the clay in is to add to the weight :( And the cost:( :D Looking forward to seeing them in place now :whistle:

18. lee82

lee82 New Member

Yeh im very happy with the stones:p

Just laid my plant substrate....so far
    20140225_193958.jpg

One thing im wondering is, if im planning on having the rocks in the center of the tank with the gravel sloping downwards...do i also have the plant substrate slightly higher in the center too?

19. keithgh

Lee

If you do not have the plant substrate higher the plants roots will have further to travel to get the food.

20. lee82

lee82 New Member

So basically the plant substrate should be the same/similar shape to the contours of the gravel?