1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Newbie from uk!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by lee82, Feb 2, 2014.

1. lee82

lee82 New Member

Im lee from england,uk

Im fairly new to aquariums,i currently have a fluval edge 46l tank that ive been running for the last 9/10 months with 5 neon tetras,2 black leopard guppies,4 glowlight tetras,2 red cherry shrimp and 10 assasin snails.

Its my birthday in 2 weeks and my fiancee bought me a fluval roma 125ltr tank,
    Now ive recently become a fan of aquascaping/iwagumi and currently trying to do alot of research into it, my first question is....being fairly new to aquariums with so far minimal knowledge and experience, would it be ok to try something simple and would the tank with the original t8 lighting and fluval u3 filter enable me to introduce myself into the aquascaping/iwagumi aspect of aquariums?
    Im only wanting to try something simple with maybe a 1 or 3 stones with eleocharis parvula as a carpet on like a island with it circled by gravel.
    Does that seem simple enough for my novice skills?

My 2nd question is..how important is co2 in aquascape/iwagumi tank? Im guessing it would depend on plant types and amount of plants in the aquarium?
    For the moment id like to avoid going down that route till my confidence grows.

Any feedback/advice is greatly apprieciated

Thanks lee

Ps....this is similar to what i would like to do image.jpg

Ian likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. chiangstar

chiangstar Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Lee,

Welcome to ASW! I think you are on the right track with starting slow and learning as much as you can first. Use this forum as much as you can to gain as much knowledge you can before diving in.

Re: T8 lighting, I would use it first as it can be enough depending on your plant choice. You can always upgrade in the future if need be.
    Re: Fluval filter, I'm unsure. maybe someone else can help. I've just read that its rated at 600Lph. Flow is important for planted tanks and people generally say to get a filter that turns over your tank volume 10x per hour. If you already have it, though, I would be trying it out so you can learn exactly what works for you.
    Re: CO2 - CO2 is very important if your plants demand it. Have a look at these sites to see what plants would be suitable to your needs http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php and http://www.aquascapingworld.com/plantpedia/. Many people successfully grow beautiful tanks using liquid CO2 only, so plant choice is key.

Ask as many questions as you can on here and people will be more than happy to help you out.

Cheers

Simon

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Hello Lee

Welcome to ASW Can you fill in your location please.

Is there some one in UK doing some recruiting for ASW as we have had a few new members from UK.

The first point I would tell every newcomer is KIS Keep It Simple and learn as you go by doing that there is far less chance you will get frustrated and get no where.

There is plenty of reliable information on various styles of Aquascaping here on ASW.

Next step would be do as much research as possible on ASW and ask questions that is the best way to learn.

Also remember "What is the hurry" you can dive into the deep end and sink or learn to swim first.

Sorry I cannot help you with the Filter one point to remember with many Filters the LPH is calculated without any medium meaning when all the medium is added it will be far less than the stated LPH.

Lighting it depends on the plants you intend to grow.

Co2 yes and no Yes it will help certain hard to grow plants and No its not necessary.

Personally I would learn all about Aquariums first then and only then think about Co2.

Keith:):)

4. lee82

lee82 New Member

Thanks guys,im trying to absorb as much as possible at the moment but trying to keep it simple without being tempted to diverge into other parts of the hobby just yet.

Some of the tanks ive seen look amazing and instantly grabs you into thinking "i want to do that" . Im trying not to get too far ahead of myself and keep it simplistic yet beautiful.

Chiangstar, the tank ive been bought came with lighting,filter etc so wouldnt want to change anything just yet as i dont think my fiancee would be too happy :-/
    Im not wanting to heavily plant my tank as i dont feel confident enough just yet to take it on,i would be happy doing something based on the equipment i have,it may limit me but id rather not spend more money till my skills grow.
    Ive not yet bought any substrate/hardscape yet as im still researching what type i need for what ide like to do...one question i do have is how do you clean soil substrate compared to gravel? Normally you would push the gravel cleaner into it but im thinking you couldnt do that with soil?

Keith...as to your question about recruitment,i can only guess that people like myself have browsed the internet or typed into google or similar search engine "aquascaping/iiwagumi and this forum came up...i had a quick browse and found it very useful and welcoming!

Im only wanting to keep my tank simple and easy to maintain and im sure id be happy with it, fish wise im after using rummynose tetras,would love some electric blue rams and not too sure what else i fancy, im a big fan of smaller fish such as tetras and barbs but im hoping my plans for my tank would be stimulating enough for them

Im using this week to research and compose a plan for my tank and then hopefully come the weekend looking at purchasing the things needed to start building it!

Thanks for the help guys

5. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Lee, Another UK member fantastic :D Welcome to ASW :) Good advice in the last two posts (y) You can use a small power head to increase the flow around your plants. When cleaning soil based substrate. You just Hoover over the top of the substrate to remove the build up but not around Cryp's as they use it as part of there food source:) Its good to start a journal. Then you can look back and see how things are coming along and members can give advice as needed :)

6. lee82

lee82 New Member

Thanks greenfinger for the welcome (y)

When you say power head is that just an underwater fan? The fluval u3 i have is a submersible filter with 3 options for outward flow ... image.jpg

Is this ok for a planted aquarium? Ive heard as long as plants have a gentle sway going on then its enough?

You mentioned cryps,not too sure what that is? Plant type perhaps?

Thanks in advance

keithgh likes this.
  7. greenfinger 2

Hi Lee, Sorry in the first post i thought you had a external filter. The in tank ones are fine but will need constant cleaning far better to have an external one with Better filtration & larger area for bio mass But than means more £££ you can start off with the internal one though:)
    Cryptocoryne are a group of plants That have fine roots above as well as thicker roots below the substrate as they a heavy feeders. Nice group of plants with lots of leaf shapes as well as colours :) What part of the UK do you live ??

keithgh likes this.
  8. lee82

lee82 New Member

Thats fine :D

Im hoping to use just easy maintaning/growing plants till i know im able to look after those correctly first before progressing.

I have a fluval edge at the moment with just anubias and vallis in and im still trying to get these at a stage im happy with as some leaves on the anubias have a few black dots on and the odd one has started to rot which ive cut off.
    My vallis ive found harder to keep nice and green and have also had a few leaves rot or turn brown with some of the tips looking frayed?

Ive tried using the "nutrigrow" iron ferts which recommends 1 weekly dose which i do after water changes but havent really seen much improvement over past 2 months

Im from wakefield nr leeds:)

Heres a pic of my fluval...
    image.jpg

9. greenfinger 2

Hi Lee, What substrate are you using in the Fluval ? Anubias ?? I can see a big plant that looks like a sword ? Nutrigrow is that not for land plants ?? or is there an aquatic Nutrigrow ??

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  10. lee82

lee82 New Member

Its very fine gravel,salt like grain type

I bought the large plant from a local maidenhead aquatics store and sure its an anubias variant altho i could be wrong,i basically asked them for something easy to care for

11. lee82

lee82 New Member

12. lee82

lee82 New Member

Sorry i meant nutrifin plant grow (n)

20140203_122329.jpg

13. greenfinger 2

Hi Lee, The big green plant is not an Anubius :( It could be a Echinodorus?? There is your problem, The two plants you have are heavy feeders with large root systems and your substrate has no Nutriments for the plants :( There are special substrates for growing plants with all the nutriments they need to grow But if you don't want to change your substrate you can add fert tabs to it about every three months this will add the nutriments needed for the plants to grow Try this site for plant info www. tropica.com Full of top info on plants and layouts :)

Ian likes this.
  14. lee82

lee82 New Member

I see..thanks for identifying them...

How do root tabs work?

15. greenfinger 2

Hi Lee, They brake down and supply the nutriments that the plants need most good LFS have them in stock
    Have a read of this thread;) If you are new to keeping planted fish tanks then you should read this, Its in the forum General Aquascaping and planted tank discussion by Ghostsword top info :cool:

lee82 likes this.
  16. lee82

lee82 New Member

Mite nip down to lfs now and get some
    It makes sense now why there not foing as they should..thanks for that (y)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  17. lee82

lee82 New Member

...ps would liqiud co2 be worth getting or is that more than its worth for the moment?

18. greenfinger 2

Hi Lee, Read some where that Liquid C02 kills off valli :( But nearly all other plants are ok with Liquid C02

19. lee82

lee82 New Member

Right well not gooing waste time, im off for root tabs :D

Also do you know a good brand of substrate here in the uk thats upto the job but not overly expensive?

20. greenfinger 2

Hi Lee, Tropica plant substrate would fit the bill as you already have the gravel. Put in the plant substrate and then cover with your gravel Or you can get a all in one substrate that does not need a covering or "capping" but the price go's up with these.