1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Aurora, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Aurora

Aurora New Member

Hello

I'm Aurora and I'm very very new!
    I'm new to aquariums and new to aquascaping.
    I have my first tank. It's 22l and has (sorry) plastic plants.
    I've ordered the dennerle 50l scapers tank kit. It seems like a good size for me to start with.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully share in your knowledge so my first project is a success.
    X

keithgh and jagermelifter like this.
  2. jagermelifter

jagermelifter Aspiring Aquascaper

welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aurora likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Aurora

Welcome to ASW

http://dennerle.com/en/products/aquascaping/tanks/scapers-tank-complete-50-l

It looks like a nice small unit.

Do you have any idea of what you would like to do and what inhabitants you intend to get.

My suggestion would be do plenty of research first then update us on your ideas.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. Aurora

Aurora New Member

Hi Keith

Yes, that's the one I've ordered. I didon't want to go too big to start of with.

Ideas wise, I would like a very simple iwagumi style. Simple straight grasses and Moss. I have a picture I'm my mind.
    I've been reading a lot about how to start but I like experimenting, with rules as well as asthetics because I suppose we all have different ideas of what beautiful is.
    I can see myself getting hooked already tho!

As for inhabitants, the list of wants is long so I will have to decide closer to the time.

5. keithgh

Aurora

I do not think that is possible its not just a matter of a few rocks in a tank.

Do a lot of research first and make up a mock tank to work in its a lot easier that way, the substrate can be sand if necessary

[​IMG]

6. Aurora

Aurora New Member

I mean Simple as in uncluttered and uncomplicated.
    Not just throw a few rocks in a tank.

Your picture is lovely but the drift wood is too much for me. The whole thing looks too thought out. Is it yours? I am going to try drift wood in my little little tank. But it seems quite a challenge.

I have been doing a lot of research. But these nothing like hands on trial and error is there!
    I've really enjoyed reading through the journals.

7. Aurora

Aurora New Member

These have been of some inspiration for me. Top-10-AGA-Aquascaping-Contest-2010-Medium-Tank-1-4-550x323.jpg 5369724290_fa48baefde.jpg Top-10-AGA-Aquascaping-Contest-2010-Medium-Tank-1-4-550x323.jpg OCT28SATmidtone.jpg

8. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Just take it slow and let us help you with the hardscape before you fill.

9. Aurora

Aurora New Member

Thank you.

What do you suggest?

10. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Well, it seems you are very attracted to the over planted Iwagumi style. I would research nutrient rich gravel/substrate, and find an online dealer or local dealer that is selling high character rocks of various sizes. Character = texture & color.

After you get those, setup a dry hardscape and post pictures. We'll help from there. It helps a lot if you update every change while hardscaping.

A substrate I recommend: Seachem Flourite Black Gravel. So far, it's growing plants nicely.
    You could also get Aquasoil, but it's more of a handful.

keithgh likes this.
  11. Aurora

Aurora New Member

$_12.JPG I found these rocks. Which I love.
    I thinking grasses to start. Then see what it looks like or how I feel.

12. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hello Aurora, welcome to ASW!

So you have a scape in mind. The very simple one by George Farmer with the grasses and sand is a great example of a minimalist scape.

Now that you have some inspiration, how about starting a journal? The first thing to discuss would be equipment. I see the dennerle scapers tank comes with an HOB filter and a light. It is a good starting tank. Do you plan to use pressurized CO2 at all? This would be the determining factor in what plants you should choose. Farmer's tank can be done without CO2. The other two you had shown, should have pressurized CO2.

Farmer's tank uses Seiryu stone. You can look around online and on Ebay for some. ADA retailers also stock it.

The second tank uses dragon stone, which you can also find online or from some nature aquarium retailers.

Check out http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/ for stones and substrate. ADA products can be spendy...the stone is very nice and the substrate is unbeatable. CO2 equipment can be done for less from other places like CO2art. I use ADA aquasoil and ADA sand. Products of equivalent quality are of similar price anyways.

Seachems flourite is a decent cheaper alternative. I think seachem does a very good job of making affordable quality products without getting all hokey with magic and woo...which ADA could be accused of for some of their products.

Start a journal and lets help you get off to a great start!

Aurora likes this.
  13. keithgh

Aurora

That is just an example of making up a mock up tank, no its not mine its an example I have used many times.

[​IMG]

That Aquascape is not just a matter of rocks and plants, I would say every rock was very carefully selected to be placed in a particular location.

The presentation photo is faultless it was not just a quick happy snap shot.

A little tip for you to consider "The simpler it looks means every thing in the Aquascape must be done to perfection"

Start of slowly and learn as you go its a lot easier and very rewarding doing it that way.

Aurora likes this.
  14. Aurora

Aurora New Member

Thanks shadow!
    That's some great info and I'll definitely start a journal, especially now my tanks arrived in the post yesterday! Although the company forgot to send the filter and light! It's due tomorrow. Ideally I'd like to muddle on without co2. I was looking at liquid co2 this morning but not sure of its merits.

And Keith, I think that learning as you go is a great way to do things. Trial and improvement gives you such a better understanding of things doesn't it.

I don't want to copy another design exactly. Excited to start shopping!

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  15. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Great, missing those parts will give you time to plan out your next steps ;)

I should mention, "liquid CO2" is not CO2. Its an alternative carbon source, useable by some plants. It would be a good addition if you do not use pressurized CO2.

I recommend finding your stones and using those to spark your scape design. Deciding if you want sand or substrate is the next decision. The areas where you plant should have some type of planting substrate. It can be a little tricky to combine sand and planting substrate, but it can be done with good effect. George farmers scape most likely uses Aquasoil where the grass has been planted and the stones keep it penned in so it doesn't get into the sand. It also probably gets into the sand at times and needs to be siphoned out. I have to do it ALL the time to keep my sand section clean.

Hair grass will be your best bet for a carpeting plant. To mix it up or provide a different texture in places you could add Crypt parva or micro sword. Micro sword is tall, so you would need rocks that give some height. Hair grass would be the easiest to manage and shape.

keithgh and Aurora like this.
  16. keithgh

Aurora

To brief every thing down until you actually start assembling your Aquascape its Research and planning.

Its far better to spend more time doing that than planning as you go along its nothing but planing a disaster.

Get it perfect the first time and you will enjoy your tank a lot more.