1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

New To This Site

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Wendy1B, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

Eastern Washington! Portland Oregon! We are relatively close!

I would highly suggest coming down to Portland and checking out The Wet Spot Tropical Fish. It's a pretty cool store. Also, check out Aquarium Zen in Seattle. Shawn recently told me about Aquarium Zen, and after looking at their website and tanks, I was in love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadowMac and Wendy1B like this.

Sponsored link:

2. Wendy1B

Wendy1B Aspiring Aquascaper

I am checking out the Mame overflows and Twinstar Nanos, but I just want to clarify: I have no actual experience with a sump. All of my reefs had deep sand beds, Canister Filters and hang-on protein skimmers. Once hang-on refugiums finally came out, I added one to each of my setups because I saw the difference it made for my seahorses. I have always wanted a sump setup, it just wasn't a possibility for me until now. I am not entirely set on it; just exploring my options and I have to tell you, it sounds really good to me if I can find a setup which will work with my space limitations. Those rimless tanks on buceplant.com look really nice! I can't wait to see what kind of scape you do in the 60u. That's the only size that really appeals to me, but I am only being afforded enough space in our living room for a 20"x20" max footprint. That's not really aquascape friendly, but I think I can end up with something cool if I toy with it long enough. For hardscape, I have been working on a moss tree from a driftwood formation and the addition of some twigs from the Harry Lauder's Walking Stick in my yard. I really liked the look of the rainforest wood here http://www.aquariumplants.com/Rainforestwood-s/349.htm and I have attached a picture of my sculpture so far. I have it soaking as we speak. I am not attaching the wood discs until I have my moss here to tie to it. I thought it would be really neat with this pearl moss cascading off the wooden discs, like a weeping willow tree. Here's the moss I'm considering using: http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=260506087290. I'm just hoping I can find a seller in the states. I know my wood formation looks like a strange modge-podge of different woods, but I think I will try fissidens to cover the connecting points and even the appearance out. I also kept all of my beautiful stones from my low tech setup, but I want to test them to see if they'll affect the Water hardness. I never had to care about such things back then.

Attached Files:

Shane P. likes this.
  3. Shane P.

If you want that draped and fluffy look of moss to soften the look in some parts of your hardscape, I highly suggest the conventional java moss or christmas moss. Fissidens has grown ok for me, but not at the rate of the java moss has. (In my low tech)

lucasgg likes this.
  4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I'm not entirely sure that moss is actually an aquatic. I would not recommend purchasing anything from aquatic magic. There is an actual weeping moss. I cannot recall the species name, but it isn't too difficult to find. If you have trouble let me know.

I am going to disagree on this one. Java and Christmas moss spread outwards, java moss especially. Fissidens looks best on a trunk or on stones in tufts or mounds. It would work best to cover seams in a trunk. It is also very easy to grow, particularly with pressurized CO2.

I'll be back tomorrow with more of a response... I have to run.

Shane P. likes this.
  5. Shane P.

I don't have pressurized CO2 which is probably why. Will be receiving a CO2 unit this week from the U.K., from CO2Art.

What I mean by fluffy is this look:
    [​IMG]

Notice how all the angles and points are faded in structure, creating a less pointy of a look. Depends on the scape you decide, but if you are going for that and you trim often, it gets nice and bushy. ADU Aquascaping on YouTube has lots of good info on caring for mosses etc.

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Wendy its very difficult to comment on your DW as its not in a tank yet. All I can say is you have one very interesting piece that could be used several ways, then there is the other piece its OK but not together in the same tank. I would wait until you get the tank or until you have made your final decision and make a mock tank as per photo it can be made from a cardboard box and sand can be used as the substrate if you want to.

Its a lot easier to work from the front rather than working in a tank.
    [​IMG]

Keith:cat::cat:

ShadowMac and Wendy1B like this.
  7. Wendy1B

Oooh - cardboard mock tank...BRILLIANT!

8. Shane P.

It is wood, but it can easily be replicated with cardboard, as long as it is thick. Cheetos are my favorite aquascaping snack too!

Wendy1B and lucasgg like this.
  9. keithgh

Wendy

The idea is very simple you can move all your hardscape around quickly and very easily. If you were using large rocks with sharp edges no chance of tank damage even if you dropped it.

Wendy1B likes this.
  10. Wendy1B

I really appreciate all of your input and ideas. I have contacted a few tank makers online to see what it would run me for something pre-drilled in my desired footprint. Either they want far too much, or they really want to cut into my tank volume by offering something affordable but very short. After contacting the Red Sea dealer for clarification, it turns out the footprint on the 43 gallon is actually 20"x24". There is one more LFS I hope to be able to visit this weekend. It's a 45 minute drive, but the owner may have a reasonably priced manufacturer I can order from. If not, it looks like the 18"x18" Red Sea 33 gallon will be the one for me.

Shane P. likes this.
  11. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Well you did join a forum where 100% active members are men, or at least used to be 100%

Shane P. likes this.
  12. keithgh

Wendy

Glad we can assist you if you don't ask the questions there could be big concerns along the way. We were all beginners at one stage.

Shane P. and Wendy1B like this.